Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else plagued by this? Glare from side mirror chrome

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20150320_160331 (1).jpg

Driving west last night I was blinded the whole time. I don't want to dip this part but this is not my favorite Model S feature so far :)

Glare from the mirror hasn't bothered me (except at night when there is an SUV shining its lights in the mirror). However, on a couple of occasions glare from the aluminum strip around the small display has blinded me. This hasn't happened more and four or five times over two years, but it's scary when it happens because you really can't see. All items in the driver's field of view should be dark and flat.

I live in Oregon and I have experienced this glare a few times. It is quite bad when it happens. I have considered adding some sort of dull black to the mirror stalk top. It would be an improvement for TM to consider a solution for this problem.

Never had that, but opening the pano roof when the sun is at a certain angle behind you can turn the touchscreen into a blindingly bright mirror.

Not a huge problem in the UK given the number of clear sunny days we get here ;)

The sunshades block 2/3 of the light. Has that proven to be enough to be effective when the sun is reflected off the touchscreen into the driver's eyes?

It's worked for me. Of course, it's not going to work if the sun is coming through the side windows, but that's pretty rare as there is only a short window of opportunity and the car has to be facing the correct way.

Yes! The glare from the side mirror stalks and from some of the interior metal frequently blinds/annoys me. This can cause fatigue on longer drives and, at times, can be dangerous. I find myself holding my hand between the glare and my eyes. Worse yet, it really bothers my wife in the passenger seat. I'll put in another vote for body color or black side mirror stalks and less-reflective interior trim. BUT, I LOVE my Tesla!