Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else pondering Model 3 to Y when it lands in UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It makes even less sense to get a performance Y.

That's the one where you'll notice the worse handling from the extra height, and the fact its slower. If you're into performance surely the 3 is the only way to go, or you're paying more for less performance

Im a performance guy through and through. However, I need to balance that with practicality which is another factor in the equation. Personally would not have bought the M3 but the mrs likes it (base model was great for her which is a bonus to me!!) and she does not need the same practicality as I do. Again, if she did, I would just get an m3p and use hers for practicality if that makes sense.

I've had SUV's for my last two new cars, which coincided with me having kids, and would have instinctively gone for the Y had it been available in the UK when I ordered.

But you know what, 10 days in, the kids love the 3 in the back, I can fit in 2 big suitcases in the M3 boot (which is what my SUV's could also fit without seats flipped down) and everything is good.

I'm loving the 3 so far.. will I swap for the Y at end of lease? without sitting in one I don't know, but I do know I'm not regretting switching from SUV to the M3.

Still waiting for my M3 LR but may look for the Y in 3 years (end of my lease) I was initially looking at an SUV before getting my M3 but the Tesla teased me sooo much I HAD to get a M3. The only downside to me and it seems opposite to a lot of people, I prefer the chrome appearance of the 3 compared to the black of the Y but seeing as loads of 3 owners like to chrome delete I suppose that could be the reason that the Y doesn’t have chrome

Still waiting for my M3 LR but may look for the Y in 3 years (end of my lease) I was initially looking at an SUV before getting my M3 but the Tesla teased me sooo much I HAD to get a M3. The only downside to me and it seems opposite to a lot of people, I prefer the chrome appearance of the 3 compared to the black of the Y but seeing as loads of 3 owners like to chrome delete I suppose that could be the reason that the Y doesn’t have chrome

what he said, getting an LR M3 with the expectation of a bigger family once the lease is up and getting a Y upgrade then!

what he said, getting an LR M3 with the expectation of a bigger family once the lease is up and getting a Y upgrade then!

Which makes perfect sense. I went from an Audi estate to the Model 3 as our family size was decreasing with child number 1 heading off to university. So a smaller car made sense. A year later though and we’ve decided to add a puppy to the family so in retrospect keeping the Audi estate would have been a more practical choice. Although, to be honest, I’ve loved the Model 3 / EV experience so wouldn’t actually go back. Hence considering the Model Y. I’m loathe to give up the 3 though, so for now have acquired a rear seat hammock for the dog, will see how that goes first.

Reactions: Bradders
Just keep on top of the progress of the giga Berlin factory and that will give you an indication. Look it up on youtube:)

Just googled it. I knew they were planning a battery plant in Berlin some time in 2021 but had no idea they were also planning to build Model 3 and Model Y there also.

Would be very nice if this means we’ll get German build quality as well as the Tesla EV tech? :D

Just keep on top of the progress of the giga Berlin factory and that will give you an indication. Look it up on youtube:)

Yeh Berlin factory progress is a good indicator of Y availability in the UK. It’s flying up! Y will be first off the line. With the added bonus of a unique red paint option due to the advanced paint shop they are building. Rumours are it will be like Elon’s own car.... Y Performance in that colour please. I’m guessing orders will commence end of the year.
AC51A858-8953-4A8C-A037-6CA5212D1E98.jpeg

Yeh Berlin factory progress is a good indicator of Y availability in the UK. It’s flying up! Y will be first off the line. With the added bonus of a unique red paint option due to the advanced paint shop they are building. Rumours are it will be like Elon’s own car.... Y Performance in that colour please. I’m guessing orders will commence end of the year. View attachment 581943
It is already possible to order a Y on the Tesla France website which indicates initial production runs will be LHD.