Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else pondering Model 3 to Y when it lands in UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Juanpelota great to hear that! (...but every photo comparison I've seen shows a deeper shelf moulding & smaller overall storage area for the Y frunk?)
no no, the Y frunk is massively larger.. .and best part, is it makes a better bench than the 3. So, for example, when you are changing into your riding shoes, or cracking your post ride beer, the open frunk bench seems like it was specifically modified to serve that purpose.

Reactions: Drew57
Perhaps a slighy different starting point for us...

Just got our M3P about 3 weeks ago (loving it so far..) but with a clear intention to upgrade to the Y once it comes out in RHD. Coming from a Cayenne Hybrid, the size of the 3 is certainly an issue and the Y will be more suited to everyday life for us.

We got a 3 year PCP deal which gives the flexibility (albeit at a cost) to terminate early, or buy it outright and sell privately.
After speaking with Tesla it sounded like realistically the Y won't show up in UK until sometime in 2022 so that gives us time to decide.

So when I started this thread the puppy hadn’t arrived yet, the Model Y was a future thing and everything was a tad hypothetical.

Current status.

Model 3 still going strong. The now 18 month old pooch travels nicely in the back seat with a hammock from Orvis protecting the seats. Highly recommend spending extra on an Orvis hammock, we went through a couple of cheaper versions via Amazon, false economy.

The family’s other vehicle (Clio) was swapped out for a Compact SUV (Captur) which was done to provide a better hatchback for the dog, but in reality when we go out anywhere we take the Model 3, he seems happier travelling in the backseat of the Tesla. The Captur is soon to be replaced by a VW camper conversion as family vehicle number 2, we decided that weekends away would be fun. That gets picked up in a couple of weeks so we continue the strategy of 1 EV and 1 ICE vehicle, but with a different twist.

I did however do a test drive of the Model Y in Cardiff at the weekend, pondering whether or not to swap the Model 3 for the Y, per my original post. I liked the Y a lot - a bit more refined than my 2019 Model 3, loved the higher driving position and the hatchback / practicality is great. Would be ideal for the dog. It looked better in the flesh than I expected too. However, I’m still not convinced yet. In reality the Y seems a little big when most of the time it’s 2 of us (occasionally 3 if the teenager is with us) plus the dog. It’s about a £14-15k delta to swap, not sure it’s worth it. And when we need bigger the VW Transporter based conversion will give us all the space we need. So I’m thinking sticking to the smaller, sportier Model 3 perhaps makes more sense as the family EV. At least for another 18 months until the warranty expires. A lot can happen in the world of EVs in 18-24 months and I also remain a little concerned at the potential impact of Tesla superchargers being opened up to everyone. So while the Y is tempting, I think holding on to the 3 makes sense for now, especially as it has lifetime premium connectivity.

Tesla opening up the superchargers has put paid to me looking at swapping my 3 for a newer one (or anything else Tesla). I want to see what will change with second hand car prices once it happens before I do anything.

In terms of the price delta to change, the M3P is the worst affected by this because trade in prices between LR and P don’t reflect the £10k delta that exists at the start. SR+ and LR trade in prices are strong enough that some people are switching to a newer car without any price impact (although I imagine those people are by and large leasing, and technically starting a new contract is not an insignificant thing). All of that is to say that you’d be looking at a £10k delta even if you switched to a 2022 M3P, so in that respect choosing a Y instead is more a matter of preference.

Reactions: interbear

Anyone else pondering Model 3 to Y when it lands in UK?

I wasn't, but now I am. It's great looking back at these threads to see how we have changed our plans for the future that come from actual experience of owning the M3, and how life changes around us.

My plans on purchasing the M3 LR in 2019 (having 'reserved it' since release) was to keep it long term like my previous cars. 10 years maybe. I feel maybe that was a bit naive now, with new technology changing so rapidly.

It is still a great car, with a few niggles, and does everything that I need. However the current reasonable trade in price and potential upcoming expenses (tyres, extended warranty in a year's time) made me look at refreshing to a new M3. The new LR M3 is more efficient and better built but running examples through ABRP showed my journeys would end with at most 5% extra battery remaining. Not as significant as I was expecting and certainly not a no-brainer upgrade.

Then the MY UK release and reviews come out. For £2k more than my new M3 spec I could have a base MY LR with similar efficiency to my current M3, higher driving position and potentially a more desirable (valuable?) 2nd hand car in the future. A Tesla rep jokingly commented that the M3 was feeling a little unloved with everyone wanting the MY right now.

So Yes, I am now pondering 3 to Y, although I definitely need to arrange a test drive before deciding either way. I've seen one on the road already, I think I'll be seeing many more of them on the road soon. It is a little sad after having waited so long for the M3 which is a great car, and I still feel lucky\proud to have it.

Beautiful dog btw.

Reactions: interbear
I wasn't, but now I am. It's great looking back at these threads to see how we have changed our plans for the future that come from actual experience of owning the M3, and how life changes around us.

My plans on purchasing the M3 LR in 2019 (having 'reserved it' since release) was to keep it long term like my previous cars. 10 years maybe. I feel maybe that was a bit naive now, with new technology changing so rapidly.

It is still a great car, with a few niggles, and does everything that I need. However the current reasonable trade in price and potential upcoming expenses (tyres, extended warranty in a year's time) made me look at refreshing to a new M3. The new LR M3 is more efficient and better built but running examples through ABRP showed my journeys would end with at most 5% extra battery remaining. Not as significant as I was expecting and certainly not a no-brainer upgrade.

Then the MY UK release and reviews come out. For £2k more than my new M3 spec I could have a base MY LR with similar efficiency to my current M3, higher driving position and potentially a more desirable (valuable?) 2nd hand car in the future. A Tesla rep jokingly commented that the M3 was feeling a little unloved with everyone wanting the MY right now.

So Yes, I am now pondering 3 to Y, although I definitely need to arrange a test drive before deciding either way. I've seen one on the road already, I think I'll be seeing many more of them on the road soon. It is a little sad after having waited so long for the M3 which is a great car, and I still feel lucky\proud to have it.

Beautiful dog btw.

Definitely worth test driving the Y. We really liked it, but after hovering over the order button, I decided to apply logic and common sense instead, the VW camper will satisfy my desire for a new thing for a while, hopefully, and it will clearly give us load space when needed. Our Model 3 has only done 17k miles, costs buttons to run and has had no issues at all, so far. So I do think it's sensible to keep hold of it for another 18 months (warranty runs to Sept 2023) and then see what Tesla have done with the superchargers. If they open up, well that expands our horizons in terms of EV replacement. Also, having driven the Y and realised that we don't really need the space, perhaps a smaller EV hatchback would be more suitable for us. If I can get one of those that does 250 miles real world range and use the Tesla superchargers, I'd be all over it.

Thanks re the dog, he's a delightful wee character and mostly sleeps on the back seat so travelling is easy with him.

Reactions: Durzel
I’ll wait until the 4680 batteries come out to consider a Y. A bit more range would also not go amiss.
I’m torn, though, as I love my 2019 P- and Inseem to have won the “Tesla lottery” (so far): no problems at all with it! I worry I could get a crappy Model Y full of “issues” if I swap…

I’ll wait until the 4680 batteries come out to consider a Y. A bit more range would also not go amiss.
I’m torn, though, as I love my 2019 P- and Inseem to have won the “Tesla lottery” (so far): no problems at all with it! I worry I could get a crappy Model Y full of “issues” if I swap…

I'm with you on the "Tesla lottery" front, I also appear to have been lucky and got a good one in 2019. Fingers crossed it stays that way. Interesting point on the 4680 batteries, another reason to stick rather that twist at this point.

I wanted a Y before I got my 3 as the added height will help with getting in and out with my por arthritic knees! It's definitely on my list when the lease on my 3 runs out in 18 months. Nowadays with china's factory the 'tesla lottery' is much less of a problem and will probably improve even more when we start getting cars from Germany!

18 months, lets see ... mild refresh in interior? motorised frunk? bigger battieries and longer range? Parcel shelf??? lol!

I too am waiting for the 4680 batteries, but I'm trying to convince myself to wait for the gen 2. New tech will surely have bugs and from the experience of early adopters, I can see they just get brushed to the side and have faced issues after issues. Berlin would also be interesting as they ramp up and QC issues possibly developing? The caveat for waiting could be an increased price.

My 2020 Model 3 LR has been pretty problem-free (touch wood!) nothing but a joy - apart from the odd occasional Tetris in the boot and the upgraded features in the newer models - heat pump, laminated glass, and a powered boot.

Tesla opening up the superchargers has put paid to me looking at swapping my 3 for a newer one (or anything else Tesla). I want to see what will change with second hand car prices once it happens before I do anything.

In terms of the price delta to change, the M3P is the worst affected by this because trade in prices between LR and P don’t reflect the £10k delta that exists at the start. SR+ and LR trade in prices are strong enough that some people are switching to a newer car without any price impact (although I imagine those people are by and large leasing, and technically starting a new contract is not an insignificant thing). All of that is to say that you’d be looking at a £10k delta even if you switched to a 2022 M3P, so in that respect choosing a Y instead is more a matter of preference.
But if you go for an M3P: you've decided to forego financial sensibility for pure performance. That's why I can't see the case for a Y performance. You've already decided you want a fast car, so why buy a slow and worse handling "fast" car. There is no logic to it.

But if you go for an M3P: you've decided to forego financial sensibility for pure performance. That's why I can't see the case for a Y performance. You've already decided you want a fast car, so why buy a slow and worse handling "fast" car. There is no logic to it.

Some people may require the extra space or prefer the driving position or other characteristics of the Model Y. Yet want as much acceleration as possible from a Model Y, as part of their enjoyment of the vehicle. Makes perfect sense to me.

Reactions: dangrenade and Exy1
I wanted a Y before I got my 3 as the added height will help with getting in and out with my por arthritic knees! It's definitely on my list when the lease on my 3 runs out in 18 months. Nowadays with china's factory the 'tesla lottery' is much less of a problem and will probably improve even more when we start getting cars from Germany!

18 months, lets see ... mild refresh in interior? motorised frunk? bigger battieries and longer range? Parcel shelf??? lol!

Have to admit I did like the driving position in the Y. Stepping up into the car rather than falling down into the Model 3 was a much better experience. Still, I’m intent on holding on to the 3 for now, as this thread has developed I’ve discovered more reasons to do so. I‘ll look to change at or around the 4 year warranty point, as I do like the reassurance of a warranty.

I too am waiting for the 4680 batteries, but I'm trying to convince myself to wait for the gen 2. New tech will surely have bugs and from the experience of early adopters, I can see they just get brushed to the side and have faced issues after issues. Berlin would also be interesting as they ramp up and QC issues possibly developing? The caveat for waiting could be an increased price.
Yes I thought about this too and I know than Elon has recently posted about the structural battery pack coming together. My concern is when will this be delivered for the RHD UK and the build to be considered as problem free as the current China models. Even when they are shipping the 4680-equipped models there will be question of longevity and degradation, which will take a year or two to prove in the real world.

From what I read all the current MIC models have a good build quality so my dilemma is take something good now or wait for something better in the future, without knowing how long that wait will be. The typical Tesla dilemma tbh. There is certainly the possibility that I could swap cars again a few years down the line if the improvements were big enough, funds allowing, possibly even a to a non-tesla if the superchargers open up.

I do wonder how they would manage a significant change to an exiting released model, perhaps they will create a new model based on the 4680s and release that slowly around the world while still making 'standard' 2170 cars? Maybe an XLR version. 🤞

Actually my current thinking is that Tesla will not make the 4680 cars significantly different at all. Most consumers dont know\care what batteries\motors they have, they will just look at the advertised range\speed. The iPhone approach. It may save Tesla money, it may enhance the driving ride a bit, it may speed up charging time and extend the range another 50 theoretical miles, but I think it will be the gradual improvement that Tesla always does. Also they wouldn't want the MY to outperform the MX.

With all that said I've just come back from a small run out in my 2019 M3 and it still gives me all the enjoyment driving it and pride in owning it, so perhaps I should just hang on to it forever. :)

My loose plan is to keep the Model 3 LR for around 3 years and then look to change to a newer gen Model Y down the line - but that entirely depends on whether Tesla open up the Supercharger network to other manufacturers. If they do, I'll certainly be looking at other options at that point. In any case, quite happy with my M3 at the mo.

But if you go for an M3P: you've decided to forego financial sensibility for pure performance.
Not necessarily... I bought in the halcyon days when a M3P was 55k and my new inventory car was just over 51k, or in those days, the price of a LR with better wheels and acceleration boost....

Whereas Tesla are now asking more than that for a 2019 2nd hand model with 40k miles