Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else pondering Model 3 to Y when it lands in UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I thought about this too and I know than Elon has recently posted about the structural battery pack coming together. My concern is when will this be delivered for the RHD UK and the build to be considered as problem free as the current China models. Even when they are shipping the 4680-equipped models there will be question of longevity and degradation, which will take a year or two to prove in the real world.

From what I read all the current MIC models have a good build quality so my dilemma is take something good now or wait for something better in the future, without knowing how long that wait will be. The typical Tesla dilemma tbh. There is certainly the possibility that I could swap cars again a few years down the line if the improvements were big enough, funds allowing, possibly even a to a non-tesla if the superchargers open up.

I do wonder how they would manage a significant change to an exiting released model, perhaps they will create a new model based on the 4680s and release that slowly around the world while still making 'standard' 2170 cars? Maybe an XLR version. 🤞

Actually my current thinking is that Tesla will not make the 4680 cars significantly different at all. Most consumers dont know\care what batteries\motors they have, they will just look at the advertised range\speed. The iPhone approach. It may save Tesla money, it may enhance the driving ride a bit, it may speed up charging time and extend the range another 50 theoretical miles, but I think it will be the gradual improvement that Tesla always does. Also they wouldn't want the MY to outperform the MX.

With all that said I've just come back from a small run out in my 2019 M3 and it still gives me all the enjoyment driving it and pride in owning it, so perhaps I should just hang on to it forever. :)
Got my MY on Saturday.. totally in love with it.

I thought long and hard last year because with 4860's imminent (as it then seemed) was I buying the last of the "old tech"? As it turns out 4860's are still MIA and probably won't hit these shores until the MYP gets them (early Berlin MYPs probably won't have them) and so a 4860 MYLR could be <insert wild guess here> months away.

Will Tesla pass on any of the 4860 "goodness" to the consumer - they could keep the price the same and increase the range (if say competitors start increasing their range), they could drop the price and keep the range the same or they could leave range as is and trouser the extra profit or a mix.

On the Daily Tesla podcast a week or two ago when Tesla said no new news on the "Model 2" they said there was "plenty of scope for further price reductions on existing models" - make of that what you will.

What I wouldn't want to be is the poor sod who gets his car delivered the day before the next big upgrade happens. But I'm happy the current MYLR will probably be at least 18 months before any significant change in spec... if you dont count the inclusion of a parcel shelf - damn it... had to bring that up!!

JFDI 🤭

But if you go for an M3P: you've decided to forego financial sensibility for pure performance. That's why I can't see the case for a Y performance. You've already decided you want a fast car, so why buy a slow and worse handling "fast" car. There is no logic to it.
I can see why people can find a case for the MYP - The MY LR on paper seems like it would be a downgrade in performance from my current M3 LR (spec-wise). I had originally earmarked the MY LR + A/B (being the 'best of both worlds') and just adding the spoiler and painting the calipers with the inductions (not a fan of the ubers personally). I then compared the specs of the MY LR and what I have at the moment. The MY has the practicality edge over the M3 (for me) but the MY LR even with A/B would be missing the 'umph' that I've been accustomed to. I dread what people from a M3P would feel. I kind of talked myself into considering the MYP on the back of that!

My wife keeps reminding me there's nothing wrong with my LR apart from the Tetris storage and the obvious changes the newer cars have but she did like the MY in the flesh when we were charging. I don't want to drop £60k and still feel I 'downgraded', even though logically I know the LR + AB is the way to go. Knowing me I'd probably talk myself out of it again anyway by the time the MYP actually hits our roads!

I thought long and hard last year because with 4860's imminent (as it then seemed) was I buying the last of the "old tech"? As it turns out 4860's are still MIA and probably won't hit these shores until the MYP gets them (early Berlin MYPs probably won't have them) and so a 4860 MYLR could be <insert wild guess here> months away.

Will Tesla pass on any of the 4860 "goodness" to the consumer - they could keep the price the same and increase the range (if say competitors start increasing their range), they could drop the price and keep the range the same or they could leave range as is and trouser the extra profit or a mix.

On the Daily Tesla podcast a week or two ago when Tesla said no new news on the "Model 2" they said there was "plenty of scope for further price reductions on existing models" - make of that what you will.

What I wouldn't want to be is the poor sod who gets his car delivered the day before the next big upgrade happens. But I'm happy the current MYLR will probably be at least 18 months before any significant change in spec... if you dont count the inclusion of a parcel shelf - damn it... had to bring that up!!

JFDI 🤭

always assume the worst. Oh look this new battery is more energy dense. We imagine 'oh good more range'; Tesla reads 'we can put fewer batteries in to make the car lighter and save money'

I don't know I'd want to be the bleeding edge consumer for a new battery tech either

JFDI 🤭
Congrats again and good points.

The 4680 should be a compelling reason to convert some of us on the fence from our M3s into the MY. If they increase the range or not, the weight drop will give it a range boost in itself as it will be a lighter car. The only real deciding factor is when will we actually see it over here and what problems will it have. I don't fancy dumping my *touch wood* good car to then be a guinea pig with untested tech but I also don't want to buy old tech when the new one is imminent - or so it seems. I can see a potential drop in the value when it comes to selling the current MY due to the release of the 4680 which could also be a factor?

Also, I don't think we'll see a price reduction, they have no reason to drop price atm unless other competitors force their hand. Historically it's always just gone up (glad as a shareholder, but not as a consumer). Oh, and it most probably will have a parcel shelf by then too lol but I wonder what they decide to remove on a whim by then - the steering wheel with the advances of FSD perhaps? :rolleyes:

Congrats again and good points.

The 4680 should be a compelling reason to convert some of us on the fence from our M3s into the MY. If they increase the range or not, the weight drop will give it a range boost in itself as it will be a lighter car. The only real deciding factor is when will we actually see it over here and what problems will it have. I don't fancy dumping my *touch wood* good car to then be a guinea pig with untested tech but I also don't want to buy old tech when the new one is imminent - or so it seems. I can see a potential drop in the value when it comes to selling the current MY due to the release of the 4680 which could also be a factor?

Also, I don't think we'll see a price reduction, they have no reason to drop price atm unless other competitors force their hand. Historically it's always just gone up (glad as a shareholder, but not as a consumer). Oh, and it most probably will have a parcel shelf by then too lol but I wonder what they decide to remove on a whim by then - the steering wheel with the advances of FSD perhaps? :rolleyes:

Tesla's material highlight the challenge of keeping them cool and I wonder if that means we'll see them in the LR rather than the MYP - look at the S Plaid - still using 18650s.

I have a nasty feeling we'll be seeing lots of threads about the 4680 Supercharging curve.

I have a nasty feeling we'll be seeing lots of threads about the 4680 Supercharging curve.
This should be one of the big advantages of the 4680 cells visible to the customer, unless Tesla artificially restrict the charging curve to match the 2170's in the short term, so as to avoid any osborne affect.

best visibility of this will probably come with the cybertruck I suspect.

Im the same dilemma i have an m3p and mylr on order the model y appears on the 15th march and the model 3 performance 18th i had the m3p last year so i know the speed difference just cant make my mind up because i do like the model y will buy the speed boost if i go for the y just wanted something different i did test drive tge y and did feel nice the 0to60 on the m3p will be much quicker but u soon get board the other thing thats swaying me for the y is i wouldn’t need to pay extra for tints plus around 4k cheaper overall very difficult decision

I can see why people can find a case for the MYP - The MY LR on paper seems like it would be a downgrade in performance from my current M3 LR (spec-wise). I had originally earmarked the MY LR + A/B (being the 'best of both worlds') and just adding the spoiler and painting the calipers with the inductions (not a fan of the ubers personally). I then compared the specs of the MY LR and what I have at the moment. The MY has the practicality edge over the M3 (for me) but the MY LR even with A/B would be missing the 'umph' that I've been accustomed to. I dread what people from a M3P would feel. I kind of talked myself into considering the MYP on the back of that!

My wife keeps reminding me there's nothing wrong with my LR apart from the Tetris storage and the obvious changes the newer cars have but she did like the MY in the flesh when we were charging. I don't want to drop £60k and still feel I 'downgraded', even though logically I know the LR + AB is the way to go. Knowing me I'd probably talk myself out of it again anyway by the time the MYP actually hits our roads!
I genuinely don't get that. As the MYP is a downgrade in performance over the M3P but in a car that specifically sacrifices things like range and comfort for performance. If you are consider more practical terms: the MYLR is more than capable and by some way the quickest EV crossover on the market (leaving aside the crazy expensive Taycan) so you're not actually sacrificing anything

I genuinely don't get that. As the MYP is a downgrade in performance over the M3P but in a car that specifically sacrifices things like range and comfort for performance. If you are consider more practical terms: the MYLR is more than capable and by some way the quickest EV crossover on the market (leaving aside the crazy expensive Taycan) so you're not actually sacrificing anything
The only real reason to change is for the additional cargo space, and I'd prefer not to lose my current performance. I had been keeping a very keen eye on MYLR + A/B from the very beginning. Since reflecting, the MYLR even with the AB will have less available to me than what I currently have - top speed and 0-60. I can't help but feel like it's downgrading (even though I appreciate they are two different cars) and this is one of the trade-offs I probably need to come to terms with. I don't particularly like the 'extras' you pay for with the MYP and one of the reasons I've not pulled the trigger on ordering either.

I guess everyone will have a view on this... For us, we had nearly 2 years of loving our 2020 Model 3 LR. The biggest issue we had was cargo space... All those staycations used every bit of space up (one time I invited my parents to come along so that they could spend quality time with their grand-kids... and not at all, because I wanted to use some of their boot-space to take stuff with us down to Somerset!!!)

But then the "chip shortage" meant Second Hand prices were on the up... and so I sold my M3 LR to take advantage.

And then the question became: so what next... And I have to say (don't hate me for saying this) there were other manufacturers out there that have put together some very decent offerings. Several of them (eg. the Mach-E) have boots that were just too small... But the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and the Kia EV6 put together a really strong case. And - shock horror - some of their "tech" I thought was better (for example the blind spot warnings on the mirrors, and camera footage from the blind-spot camera showing up on the dashboard behind the steering wheel).

In the end, though, I just ordered the MY Long Range on a 3 year lease... It is actually the first time I have ever leased a car. And the reason I chose to lease rather than buy was because I think there are too many variables out there as to what will happen to used car prices... For example better range (when cars are offering 400 / 500 mile ranges, our 300+ will look puny and that might have a detrimental impact on depreciation), more manufacturers entering the fray, opening up Tesla charging networks to all... Too many things to contemplate. So I figured let the leasing company deal with that. And my hope is that in 3 years things will have settled and I can make whatever decision is right at that point in time.

Now the hardest part: I just have to wait for delivery (although actually the Tesla delivery estimate was several months before the EV6, and that was a couple of months before the Ionic 5 - at least in the trims I was looking for).

Anyway, hope the above is useful for anyone thinking about making a change.

I guess everyone will have a view on this... For us, we had nearly 2 years of loving our 2020 Model 3 LR. The biggest issue we had was cargo space... All those staycations used every bit of space up (one time I invited my parents to come along so that they could spend quality time with their grand-kids... and not at all, because I wanted to use some of their boot-space to take stuff with us down to Somerset!!!)

But then the "chip shortage" meant Second Hand prices were on the up... and so I sold my M3 LR to take advantage.

And then the question became: so what next... And I have to say (don't hate me for saying this) there were other manufacturers out there that have put together some very decent offerings. Several of them (eg. the Mach-E) have boots that were just too small... But the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and the Kia EV6 put together a really strong case. And - shock horror - some of their "tech" I thought was better (for example the blind spot warnings on the mirrors, and camera footage from the blind-spot camera showing up on the dashboard behind the steering wheel).

In the end, though, I just ordered the MY Long Range on a 3 year lease... It is actually the first time I have ever leased a car. And the reason I chose to lease rather than buy was because I think there are too many variables out there as to what will happen to used car prices... For example better range (when cars are offering 400 / 500 mile ranges, our 300+ will look puny and that might have a detrimental impact on depreciation), more manufacturers entering the fray, opening up Tesla charging networks to all... Too many things to contemplate. So I figured let the leasing company deal with that. And my hope is that in 3 years things will have settled and I can make whatever decision is right at that point in time.

Now the hardest part: I just have to wait for delivery (although actually the Tesla delivery estimate was several months before the EV6, and that was a couple of months before the Ionic 5 - at least in the trims I was looking for).

Anyway, hope the above is useful for anyone thinking about making a change.
I’m leasing for the first time ever for exactly the same reason. I figured investing the difference between that and Tesla PCP in battery companies is a pretty good bet 😉

I can see why people can find a case for the MYP - The MY LR on paper seems like it would be a downgrade in performance from my current M3 LR

I think you are missing the most important criteria of a family car - utitly.

Our 75D X 'only' has. 0-60 time of 4.9 seconds, I can count on one hand the number of times I gone 'Full throttle' in it in the last 12 months. In the last 5 years of ownership I have also never thought 'I wish it had more power' quite the opposite, often I remind my self its a 3ton+ metal box am hurtling down some bendy B road where there is so little grip I can barely stay up right on a pedal bike :).

Where as even last weekend we had 6 people in it, and the boot was stuffed full of coats/umbrellas. The utility of the Y looks almost on par with our X. It's a much better family proposition than any Model 3. If I want to go exploring the limits of adhesion on public roads, I take my pedal bike, its simply much more fun than just smashing the accelerator pedal in a car :).

Last edited:
Reactions: Rooster6655
Im the same dilemma i have an m3p and mylr on order the model y appears on the 15th march and the model 3 performance 18th i had the m3p last year so i know the speed difference just cant make my mind up because i do like the model y will buy the speed boost if i go for the y just wanted something different i did test drive tge y and did feel nice the 0to60 on the m3p will be much quicker but u soon get board the other thing thats swaying me for the y is i wouldn’t need to pay extra for tints plus around 4k cheaper overall very difficult decision
The M3P is a great car however on a daily basis 99% of the time its not possible to make the most of the performance and when there is a possibility usually I don't use any more power than the LR equivalent. I mean if I was to use the power all the time then it wouldn't be a smooth drive either having to abruptly slow down to actually obey speed limits, its fun but given the current price difference of £10k in the UK I wouldn't bother if i was choosing again.

Whether you choose the Y over the 3 would come down to the practicalities and whether the extra space would be useful to you IMO

The M3P is a great car however on a daily basis 99% of the time its not possible to make the most of the performance and when there is a possibility usually I don't use any more power than the LR equivalent. I mean if I was to use the power all the time then it wouldn't be a smooth drive either having to abruptly slow down to actually obey speed limits, its fun but given the current price difference of £10k in the UK I wouldn't bother if i was choosing again.

Whether you choose the Y over the 3 would come down to the practicalities and whether the extra space would be useful to you IMO
Thanks for your feedback sounds bang on really i have gone fir the y and just get the speed boost

Appreciate your feedback i also prefer the roof by far in the y as its one piece of glass opposed to split like the 3

Reactions: Rooster6655