Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else receive invite to Tesla Owner Orientation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model S on order for December delivery. Today I received an email to RSVP to a Tesla owner orientation at the Fremont factory on December 2nd, 9am to 6pm (I live in SF, pickup scheduled for Fremont). Anyone else receive this?

From the email:

Please join us for the very first Owners Orientation in Fremont, CA. This event is designed to prepare you for your upcoming Model S delivery and educate you on the benefits of owning a Tesla. The orientation will cover a number of subjects including the following:
  • Setting up your Tesla profile
  • Vehicle trade-in process
  • Financing and leasing procedure
  • Model S walk through and “How-To’s”
  • Charging best practices
This event is not a requirement of the delivery process but if you believe timing might be tight for you on delivery day, we strongly encourage you to attend. Deliveries can take up to two or three hours without this orientation.

Welcome to the Tesla Family!

(end quote)

Given that Dec. 2nd is a Friday I'd have to take a day off work so I'm thinking about not going. However, if going means it will expedite my delivery process then I'd go. If you guys have any info let me know. Thanks.

Did you read the small print?...

*but the real reason is to explain that your vehicle will not have AP activated for a few weeks at least, or automatic headlights, wipers, etc. so we don't have to deal with surprised and angry owners when they take delivery.

;)

Please join us for the very first Owners Orientation in Fremont, CA. This event is designed to prepare you for your upcoming Model S delivery
It appears that Tesla is experimenting with a new approach to speed up the vehicle delivery process to new owners. Instead of spending time one-on-one with owners at delivery the appear to be trying to do a group session in advance of actual delivery. Then on delivery day Tesla employees will not have to spend as much time with each new owner.

But such an approach means that the new owners would make two trips to the delivery location instead of just one: first for the "Owners Orientation" meeting and second for actually receiving their car. So more efficient for Tesla but overall much more time consuming for the new owners.

If I was a new owner and received the email shown in the OP I would not react favorably. I only want to schedule one day / block of time to get my car, not two blocks of time on two different days. I did a factory pickup of my S almost 3 years ago. Took the factory tour, got my car, it was great.

I realize the email from Tesla says the "event is not a requirement of the delivery process".

• Disagree
Reactions: wcfree
I clicked on the 'RSVP now' link in the email which took me to a tesla page that had a little more info about the time commitment. Frankly, they should have put this in the email... Sessions are only an hour. They run over and over all day between 9am and 6pm. You just need to make it to one. This seems much more doable so I'm going to do it.

To me, it seems like a nice option... as long as it is an option. In theory, by doing some of it in a classroom setting, it could allow for more in-depth discussion and coverage of different options (especially charging options) before delivery. It could also add an interesting social aspect in meeting other new owners in your area, and If done right it could be a nice outing (for example, handling it like a gallery opening or something with nice hors d'oeuvres and a decent wine could really enhance the delivery experience.

Of course, for people who are not local, who don't want to go, or cant make the time, there would still be the one on one delivery talk.

Now, having said that, if they do this in a little classroom with folding chairs and generic sodas, and run through a presentation without adding anything to it, it would end up being just another way of saving money and reducing quality.