Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else regret not getting the X instead?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a hard thread for me to write because I don't want to sound so spoiled and so 'first worldly' that I come across as not being appreciative and thankful to have the opporutunity and the means to drive such a beautiful car like a Model S. I love it, I really do! I love the way it drives, handles, and how safe I feel when I'm inside of it.

But... I am 6'3 and 250lbs and getting in and out of this thing is a literal pain in the neck! I know how to get in and out of it as well, as I have followed the advice of sitting down on the seat with my legs facing out of the car, swinging my right leg in and following it up with the left. But... my goodness, I always seem to feel so constricted and tight while doing it and getting in and out of the car when you are running errands or checking out possible places to rent/buy is just an exercise in patience.

Plus the bolsters on these seats are just way too much after a couple hours of driving. I get it, I'm in a car with sports car performance but a few inches off of these bolsters would have been perfect.

I think coming from a Dodge Caravan (don't laugh!) to a Model S has sort of set me up for discomfort from the get go but I really do wish I had just sprung for the Model X for the cabin space alone. Also the seats feel much more comfortable in a Model X but who knows... I might be imagining things.

Anyone else agree or anyone have any recommendations? Is there a way to get my seats swapped out? lol

Reactions: Alex D
This is a hard thread for me to write because I don't want to sound so spoiled and so 'first worldly' that I come across as not being appreciative and thankful to have the opporutunity and the means to drive such a beautiful car like a Model S. I love it, I really do! I love the way it drives, handles, and how safe I feel when I'm inside of it.

But... I am 6'3 and 250lbs and getting in and out of this thing is a literal pain in the neck! I know how to get in and out of it as well, as I have followed the advice of sitting down on the seat with my legs facing out of the car, swinging my right leg in and following it up with the left. But... my goodness, I always seem to feel so constricted and tight while doing it and getting in and out of the car when you are running errands or checking out possible places to rent/buy is just an exercise in patience.

Plus the bolsters on these seats are just way too much after a couple hours of driving. I get it, I'm in a car with sports car performance but a few inches off of these bolsters would have been perfect.

I think coming from a Dodge Caravan (don't laugh!) to a Model S has sort of set me up for discomfort from the get go but I really do wish I had just sprung for the Model X for the cabin space alone. Also the seats feel much more comfortable in a Model X but who knows... I might be imagining things.

Anyone else agree or anyone have any recommendations? Is there a way to get my seats swapped out? lol

You're talking about one of the main reasons we are going with an X vs S (someday). I'm 6'8", my wife is also tall, and the X is much more comfortable to enter/ exit. Which isn't to say that the S is that hard. Heck for a while I drove an Omni, had to take out the arm rest to use the clutch. Hopefully, Tesla comes out with their pickup before the Sierra dies, it's just about the perfect height.

Do you have a profile to move the steering wheel out of the way and/or move the seat back (if it isn't already)?

Reactions: croman

I can feel your pain with the Model S entry / exit. I pretty much immediately called customer service and asked why they don't have and entry / exit mode like most other high end luxury cars. I was told they would put it on the wish list. There was a post that Elon said it was coming, but who knows if/when.

Also, I have the standard interior with the multi pattern seats. They have much less bolster then the upgraded leather seats. I've had a couple of loaners this week and the MS75 seats were horribly uncomfortable for me. The MX75D I'm in now is not too bad. It must have a different version seat the the other. Funny that I have a Dodge Caravan too and the captains chairs with armrests are quite comfortable and not sweaty since they are cloth.

Maybe you could find somebody with multi pattern seats that would switch with you.

Good luck!

You're talking about one of the main reasons we are going with an X vs S (someday). I'm 6'8", my wife is also tall, and the X is much more comfortable to enter/ exit. Which isn't to say that the S is that hard. Heck for a while I drove an Omni, had to take out the arm rest to use the clutch. Hopefully, Tesla comes out with their pickup before the Sierra dies, it's just about the perfect height.

Do you have a profile to move the steering wheel out of the way and/or move the seat back (if it isn't already)?

Yes sir, although part of me feels almost.... bad? haha I just feel like I'm going to wear the hell out of the steering wheel and seat motors constantly changing the position of them with my (lately) constant exits and enters. But I guess that's just what has to be done!

I'm excited for my lease to be up in 3 years though, I'm going to happily pick up an X and never look back lol I do absolutely LOVE my Model S though and don't mean to put it down at all.

Reactions: Maaz and mongo
I can feel your pain with the Model S entry / exit. I pretty much immediately called customer service and asked why they don't have and entry / exit mode like most other high end luxury cars. I was told they would put it on the wish list. There was a post that Elon said it was coming, but who knows if/when.

Also, I have the standard interior with the multi pattern seats. They have much less bolster then the upgraded leather seats. I've had a couple of loaners this week and the MS75 seats were horribly uncomfortable for me. The MX75D I'm in now is not too bad. It must have a different version seat the the other. Funny that I have a Dodge Caravan too and the captains chairs with armrests are quite comfortable and not sweaty since they are cloth.

Maybe you could find somebody with multi pattern seats that would switch with you.

Good luck!

Haha whats up fellow Dodge Caravan driver! I actually loved the seats in that van... I went on a huge roadtrip with it and never felt uncomfortable. I sort of miss it... But not really, as that thing was starting to lag engine and transmission wise.

But how odd... like you I have the standard interior with the multi pattern seats as well! If you are telling me the bolsters are BIGGER on the leather seats... Holy *sugar* that must be crazy uncomfortable. Although now I'm so confused, as a few weeks ago I took my car in for a weird hole that had developed near the passenger side front tire and I received a 2016 red Model S P90D with beige leather seats and they were MUCH more comfortable than my seats. I was almost too jealous to return the car!

@OilSucks

No buyers remorse here as the X wasn't out before I got my S, but the wife has the X and I am of similar size of you and it's much easier to get in and out of and there may be more space between the seat and the doors. As for the seats I prefer the bolsters or the next Gen over the Tesla premiums but the premiums are very plush comfortable where as the next Gens are sporty comfortable. If you're coming from a caravan the X is definitely what you should look for as the ideal Tesla for you.

Perhaps it's a dumb question but... how much time have the tall folk spent fiddling with the seat controls? I've had folks test drive or test ride in my S that are tall and didn't realize the seat could lower until I pointed it out specifically.

I am fortunate enough to own both and every comment/reason you think the X is better is 100% accurate IMHO. My parents and in laws are very happy with the Model X. They could barely get in and out of the Model S. I'm 6'1 220lbs and I don't have an issue with the Model S but I still have a lot of pep in my step (Very young at heart 44yr old). Having said that I still do enjoy the extra space of the X over the S and my wife who is much smaller has the same opinion.

I guess our overall opinion is that the Model S is awesome and the Model X is awesomer...

Reactions: OilSucks
I created a fake driver called Access as a DIY entry/exit mode. Mr. Access likes his seat all the way back and down, and the steering wheel all the way in and up. It's fairly easy to select, and to default to on my key fob.

I wanted an X until I test-drove one. The doors seemed so toy-like and ostentatious that I went for the sedan, and haven't regretted it.

• Informative
Reactions: anticitizen13.7
Basically...this is why auto makers are "meh" on sedans and hot on SUVs/CUVs. Everybody and their brother are slowly switching to the SUV/CUV space. The upright seating positions and generally better (aka "higher up") visibility are the most common reasons I hear from folks. Heck, look at the Chevy Bolt EV - even at its somewhat smaller size, the higher, more upright, seating position tends to be one of the items owners love about it.

Reactions: Maaz
Basically...this is why auto makers are "meh" on sedans and hot on SUVs/CUVs. Everybody and their brother are slowly switching to the SUV/CUV space. The upright seating positions and generally better (aka "higher up") visibility are the most common reasons I hear from folks. Heck, look at the Chevy Bolt EV - even at its somewhat smaller size, the higher, more upright, seating position tends to be one of the items owners love about it.

Very well said, I am still not used to how low this car is after about 3 months of driving her too... I still stupidly scratch the underside of my front bumper.

Unfortunately the Bolt had some of the most uncomfortable seats I have ever felt. They felt narrow and almost angled towards the middle of the car.

Haha whats up fellow Dodge Caravan driver! I actually loved the seats in that van... I went on a huge roadtrip with it and never felt uncomfortable. I sort of miss it... But not really, as that thing was starting to lag engine and transmission wise.

But how odd... like you I have the standard interior with the multi pattern seats as well! If you are telling me the bolsters are BIGGER on the leather seats... Holy *sugar* that must be crazy uncomfortable. Although now I'm so confused, as a few weeks ago I took my car in for a weird hole that had developed near the passenger side front tire and I received a 2016 red Model S P90D with beige leather seats and they were MUCH more comfortable than my seats. I was almost too jealous to return the car!

That is bizarre. I was pretty sure the MP seats were the flattest, least bolstered of the lot. Mine were made in 11/2016. Maybe they've changed? I don't have a lot of seat time in too many others. I rented a 2015 MS70D and the seats were ok, but I like mine the best so far. The 2017 MX75D w/leather I'm driving right now isn't too bad, but the 2017 MS75 w/leather I had previously was unbearable.

That is bizarre. I was pretty sure the MP seats were the flattest, least bolstered of the lot. Mine were made in 11/2016. Maybe they've changed? I don't have a lot of seat time in too many others. I rented a 2015 MS70D and the seats were ok, but I like mine the best so far. The 2017 MX75D w/leather I'm driving right now isn't too bad, but the 2017 MS75 w/leather I had previously was unbearable.

Ahh that makes sense, I misread your original comment! You are in a Model X and not a Model S with the multi-pattern seats. That makes a ton of sense because the Model X I sat in had multi-pattern seats and was 10x more comfortable than my Model S with multi-pattern seats.

The only things I miss from the X are the falcon wing doors (no matter how problematic they are), the panoramic windshield, and the nice windshield sprayers (borrowed from Mercedes). Other than those things I enjoy the smaller body of the S.
However, if I was a taller human then I would definitely want to get an X. I feel pain as I watch tall passengers get in and out of my car.