Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else regret not getting the X instead?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No I don't regret buying my S over X for 2 reasons,

X looks like a toad,
X has had more issues.

However, I do agree that getting in and out of the S is a yoga pose. I have an enter/exit driver profile that I use all the time. Apparently this will be a future software update, so we won't have to switch manually.

On the other hand, the newest X comes in a 7 seater fold flat config. Still, I can't make myself drive a toad. So S it is.

No I don't regret buying my S over X for 2 reasons,

X looks like a toad,
X has had more issues.

However, I do agree that getting in and out of the S is a yoga pose. I have an enter/exit driver profile that I use all the time. Apparently this will be a future software update, so we won't have to switch manually.

On the other hand, the newest X comes in a 7 seater fold flat config. Still, I can't make myself drive a toad. So S it is.

Loled @ a toad.
I don't know if I am lucky, but I haven't had major issues yet other than windows making annoying noise when rolled up or down.

I had a 6 passenger X loaner for a few days while I waited for my S to arrive. Pretty much reinforced the fact that I made the right decision with the S. I like the S size and shape much more, and it was much sportier to drive than the X.

Hands down when it comes to the look of the car. I agree that the Model S looks sleek and sportier. Also it is very sexy thing that you can't get tired of seeing it. In my almost 1 year of ownership of Model S, I am not tired of the car like others I owned in the past.

Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf
I got a MS 4 months ago. I came from a sports sedan and could not think of getting anything else. I sat in an X but never really considered it. I bought an inventory model just before free supercharging was to disappear (but not so....irritation). The family went on the first 2000 mile trip with all that free supercharging a couple weeks ago, and I heard lots of complaints from the back seat. Now I have had doubts. I really wanted this car to be our long range vehicle. The Toyota minivan is winning out, but I guess it's not a fair comparison. As much as people are down on minivans, you can not beat the comfort and size for passengers and luggage.

I'm curious if the back seat of the model X would appease the family more on long trips. It would be hard for me to give up the sporty feel of the MS.

Wow this is so timely for me. My wife has a Model X that we love. I find any excuse there is to take it instead of my 2014 RS4. (BTW, it is quicker than the Audi at least to 80/90 km/h where it really matters - which is crazy for a non-P SUV). So much so that I have been planning to get my own Tesla later this year/ next year. But I have been torn between S and X.

Of course the S makes sense - we don't need two X's and the S is sportier and looks better and performs (a bit) better. But the driving position, self presenting front doors etc are really nice and I know I would miss them in an S.

Anyway, this weekend I made the mistake of going to the inventory sale. Walked away having ordered a P100D Model S with 2,200 km on it - for a substantial discount over new. I am really excited about it... but cannot help this nagging feeling that I will regret not getting another X! This thread not helping!

JD

You must practice Tesla-jitsu, which translate to "way of the unarmed egress"... I normally don't give lessons via forum posts, but since I am a black belt in Tesla-jitsu, I shall teach you "the way" grasshopper.

1) Clear your mind as you approach the assailant(parking space), use a fake seat setting that lowers your seat, and positions the steering wheel high and forward, also when possible, set the suspension to the highest level if it is a commonly used space

2) after putting the car in park, take your right foot off the brake and put it on the sloped part of the floor behind the brake, next grab the top of the steering wheel with your right hand while simultaneously unbuckling your seat belt with your left hand reaching across your body

3) next in a quick motion, shove the door open with your left hand, to the point wide it will stay open without holding the door

4) next, press your neck and shoulders into the seat while pressing down with your right foot and simultaneously lifting your left leg out of the car, don't reach your foot, but rather imagine you are trying sticking your left leg out while allowing your hips to turn under you (as though you are trying to keep your butt off the seat), while keeping your left leg under you so that when you sit back down, you are positioned on your left butt/hip with right hand on steering wheel and left hand on the outside of the car on the pillar

5) now, in one graceful motion, pull your upper body out of the car first and in one smooth motion, stand up on your left foot.

When done properly, you will look very cool and only break two ribs with this maneuver ... seriously though, it does work (a friend of mine who drives what gaijin refer to as a "sports-a-car-u" showed this move to me)

To get into the car, reverse the steps...

Be aware grasshopper that if you do this in the UK, you may be arrested for sexual assault when you climb into your passenger's lap... for the driver's side, is on the right side of the car

I got a MS 4 months ago. I came from a sports sedan and could not think of getting anything else. I sat in an X but never really considered it. I bought an inventory model just before free supercharging was to disappear (but not so....irritation). The family went on the first 2000 mile trip with all that free supercharging a couple weeks ago, and I heard lots of complaints from the back seat. Now I have had doubts. I really wanted this car to be our long range vehicle. The Toyota minivan is winning out, but I guess it's not a fair comparison. As much as people are down on minivans, you can not beat the comfort and size for passengers and luggage.

I'm curious if the back seat of the model X would appease the family more on long trips. It would be hard for me to give up the sporty feel of the MS.

We got our Model S in 2015, complete with the "Executive Seats" in the back. Yes, only two passengers can fit back there instead of three, and the seat doesn't fold down. However, that was our choice, and indeed, we haven't regretted it, as our backseat passengers find them really comfortable! Glad we got in before Tesla discontinued that option. Love, love, love, our car! :)

However, I'm really excited because relatives on the East Coast are finally considering a Tesla after listening to us rave about ours for over two years... and because the guy is tall and quite large, they're looking into the Model X. They'll be looking for one to see in person during a National Drive Electric Week event in a couple of weeks. (They're not close enough to any Tesla stores or service centers to just pop in.) Crossing my fingers that they get to see and sit in one and learn about it. That's how we were first introduced to the wonders of this Intergalactic Spaceboat of Light and Wonder. I was already interested because of what Consumer Reports said, but Dear Hubby was a tough sell. It wasn't until he actually got to sit in one (at an NDEW event) and learn about it from the owner that he became interested. We've "paid it forward" and take part in such things ourselves, simply because we want to share the joy. :)

If anyone reading this, especially someone with a Model X, wants to participate in National Drive Electric Week, especially at the Seneca, Georgia event at a nuclear power station (of all things!) on Sept. 12, our brother-in-law would love to sit in your X and we'd be very appreciative! We'd really love for them to get an X, as the S just wouldn't work well for the size of this big Southern Good Ol' Boy! :)

DriveElectricWeek.org

After a tweet, Elon made hints that an entry/exit option for the model S may be forthcoming where it moves the steering wheel out of the way and the seat back for you automatically. This will probably go some way towards alleviating your issues but won't stop how much you have to stoop to get your head into the car. I'm substantially shorter than you are and still have to be conscious of my head as I enter the car so that aspect will never go away for you. However once inside the car it fits me beautifully, along with the seat bolstering which you seem to dislike. Perhaps they had 5'8" in mind more than 6' something (does anyone know how tall Elon Musk is?)

And to answer your main question, for me at least, there is no competition. I have zero interest in the model X, even after having one as a loaner. The S is a much more the vehicle I have in mind for the perfect design for me.

Perhaps they had 5'8" in mind more than 6' something (does anyone know how tall Elon Musk is?)
Elon is my size, 6'2". I have no problem fitting in the model S. I should have also mentioned in my post above that we took the Toyota minivan to view the total eclipse in WY (Superchargers are still far apart in that rural country). 12 hours total of driving, and I could not wait to get back to my model S. I am spoiled now and totally love the car. It's just the back seat passengers that wish for more room.

Reactions: xav-
This is a hard thread for me to write because I don't want to sound so spoiled and so 'first worldly' that I come across as not being appreciative and thankful to have the opporutunity and the means to drive such a beautiful car like a Model S. I love it, I really do! I love the way it drives, handles, and how safe I feel when I'm inside of it.

But... I am 6'3 and 250lbs and getting in and out of this thing is a literal pain in the neck! I know how to get in and out of it as well, as I have followed the advice of sitting down on the seat with my legs facing out of the car, swinging my right leg in and following it up with the left. But... my goodness, I always seem to feel so constricted and tight while doing it and getting in and out of the car when you are running errands or checking out possible places to rent/buy is just an exercise in patience.

Plus the bolsters on these seats are just way too much after a couple hours of driving. I get it, I'm in a car with sports car performance but a few inches off of these bolsters would have been perfect.

I think coming from a Dodge Caravan (don't laugh!) to a Model S has sort of set me up for discomfort from the get go but I really do wish I had just sprung for the Model X for the cabin space alone. Also the seats feel much more comfortable in a Model X but who knows... I might be imagining things.

Anyone else agree or anyone have any recommendations? Is there a way to get my seats swapped out? lol
Couple thoughts for the OP: The X drives so badly compared to the S that I couldn't stand it for a daily driver. Now - I do hear from some owners on the X forum that the newer 2017 builds seem to handle better than the ones a year ago - different damping or spring settings perhaps, also less creaky. Better ride over harsh pavement. Nevertheless the X would've been cheaper by a large margin because of the tax advantages but I couldn't stand it after renting a few weeks compared to the S and went with what I love to drive. I'm smaller though - 6'0" 175lbs.

On the seats - have them customized to your liking - a great upholstery shop can work wonders. And the seats are the same in the S/X AFAIK.

Couple thoughts for the OP: The X drives so badly compared to the S that I couldn't stand it for a daily driver. Now - I do hear from some owners on the X forum that the newer 2017 builds seem to handle better than the ones a year ago - different damping or spring settings perhaps, also less creaky. Better ride over harsh pavement. Nevertheless the X would've been cheaper by a large margin because of the tax advantages but I couldn't stand it after renting a few weeks compared to the S and went with what I love to drive. I'm smaller though - 6'0" 175lbs.

On the seats - have them customized to your liking - a great upholstery shop can work wonders. And the seats are the same in the S/X AFAIK.

I've heard people say that... What makes the X drive poorly? Can you feel the weight of it during turns or acceleration?

How does the 2nd row legroom in the X compare with that in the S?

When I tested a Model S one of my children liked the rear legroom. They compared it to a Mercedes A-Class long wheelbase we had some years ago. When they sat in a showroom Model X they said it didn't seem as if it had as much room as the Model S

Main benefit of the model X is that you know it is relatively new. With the model S, it is starting to look ancient.
I can't say I agree. The Model S is a classic. Think of the Rolls Royce Phantom or the Bentley Continental GT those cars have had minor updates over the years but look pretty much the same over the last 15 years. The S has that styling. It has so much Aston Martin influence in it which is another brand that hasn't changed much and looks fantastic. In fact the S and the new DB11 might share more in common now that Aston Martin is using Mercedes parts for their interiors as well.

Look at this forum. There a people who want a Model S P85 with no autopilot and are paying 60k+ for them. They are buying the styling of the Model S. 60k for ancient? Or 60k for a classic design that will stand the test of time?

If Tesla does a major refresh on the Model S I am just that much happier I got this version. Well the December 2016 version.

Answering the OPs question is tough but I love my S and I love my X

I can't say I agree. The Model S is a classic. Think of the Rolls Royce Phantom or the Bentley Continental GT those cars have had minor updates over the years but look pretty much the same over the last 15 years. The S has that styling. It has so much Aston Martin influence in it which is another brand that hasn't changed much and looks fantastic. In fact the S and the new DB11 might share more in common now that Aston Martin is using Mercedes parts for their interiors as well.

Look at this forum. There a people who want a Model S P85 with no autopilot and are paying 60k+ for them. They are buying the styling of the Model S. 60k for ancient? Or 60k for a classic design that will stand the test of time?

If Tesla does a major refresh on the Model S I am just that much happier I got this version. Well the December 2016 version.

Answering the OPs question is tough but I love my S and I love my X

Yea I can't agree that the Model S is looking old at all. I absolutely love the way it looks! It has a blend of Aston Martin, Maserati, and of course it's own Tesla styling that I never get sick of. Even though I drive one I still catch myself staring at others on the road or when they are parked. They are beautiful cars!

Reactions: Jjdsyd
We have both and to be honest I prefer the Model X when traveling with the family. I am 5'10" 195lb and have no issue getting in and out of the car. But my three sons are 6' plus and prefer the comfort of the X over the S (especially in the second row). I do find the seats in the X more comfortable than the Next Gen seats (especially when driving more than 90 minutes). Overall we are very happy with both vehicles but comfort is very important when selecting a vehicle that you may be keeping for 6+ years. I personally like the looks of the S over the X but don't tell my wife ;)

Reactions: PrGrPa