Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else sick of "service"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Anyone else sick of service and the games? I'm a busy guy. I picked the soonest date for mobile. they want to change it. Then they change it. I said no. They change it again. I said NO. You made me pick a date/time. it's still days out. DON'T F'N MOVE IT without MY permission. This isn't on YOUR schedule. YOU'RE ON MINE.

So sick of the games. so sick of the lack of phone numbers.

I swear I hope Toyota, Ford, SOMEONE eats them alive at this point. I've had better service at McDonalds.

Every interaction with 'service' makes my blood boil, and makes me think there are better ways of spending thousands of dollars.

Anyone else sick of service and the games? I'm a busy guy. I picked the soonest date for mobile. they want to change it. Then they change it. I said no. They change it again. I said NO. You made me pick a date/time. it's still days out. DON'T F'N MOVE IT without MY permission. This isn't on YOUR schedule. YOU'RE ON MINE.
I swear I hope Toyota, Ford, SOMEONE eats them alive at this point. I've had better service at McDonalds.
Every interaction with 'service' makes my blood boil, and makes me think there are better ways of spending thousands of dollars.
Actually, I think it is getting better. One day last week, I got a “replace 12v battery soon” alarm at around 3:00 pm. I opened a service ticket from the app. It automatically copied the alarm into the ticket, and it scheduled mobile service at my home for the following morning. The tech called me and asked if he could come in the afternoon instead. Apparently that while Tesla prioritizes service requests (apparently 12v battery replace is a priority) it is not aware of the location of the tech, and he was running tickets out of town that day. The shift to afternoon was fine with me, so I said “sure.”

Phone calls are such a waste of time. I am happy with text exchanges, because I know how much of a time suck phone calls actually are. TBH, the tech could have asked me about changing the time in a text exchange, but the call was fine.

Their service is notoriously terrible. No loaners ever. Nobody to contact. Such bullshit

The OP doesn't identify where he/she is experiencing poor service. I've had one minor warranty call to replace a piece of weatherstripping on the drivers-side door a year ago in Memphis. This fall while traveling thru Chicago on the Tri-State I experienced a blow out on a front tire at 3:30 in the afternoon in a construction zone with no shoulder. Squeezed in between some Jersey barriers to get out of traffic and was rolling with a loaner front tire within an hour and a half. The road service tech I was in text contact with stayed with me the entire time until I was rolling again. I love my Tesla MX and the customer/service support that I've received from Tesla!

No problem for us. We have only needed minor items fixed (charger door not closing, squeaks, and tire replacement due to puncture (twice!). For all of these repairs, we used mobile service. The person showed up on time and worked on the car in our garage. I give them a nice tip every time.

Happy to say (and not trying to rub it in) but in my 3.5 years of ownership and many, many service center and mobile ranger visits, I don't have one single bad story to relate. I've always gotten loaners, when needed, and have always gotten fair treatment and honest assessments of my car's needs. This is from the Blue Ash (Cincinnati) and Indianapolis Service Centers (I'm ~100 miles away from both of them). I guess my thread just shows that there ARE some good ones out there. Sorry it's not the same for you.

I live in the sticks in Southern Oregon and our mobile ranger is incredibly experienced, fast, easy to talk to and has always gotten the job done. Taught me a lot along the way (things I'd never considered). The best service of any car I have ever owned: feel like we hit the jackpot. Hope he never leaves but that is sure wishful thinking especially given the stories he tells about some customers (not intending to point fingers here - just recounting my experience to say I am 100% elated with our service). Tesla service is not a job I'd want.

Reactions: jboy210

Yes. I believe service is the Achilles heel of Tesla, and if they don't figure out a way to make it better so vehicles can get serviced quicker, it will be a great opening for competitors.

Tesla Service is an embarrassment to such a technologically advanced company. I have so many stories and just don't feel like typing them all right now (e.g. service scheduled and they called the morning of to let me know they didn't have the part my vehicle needed in stock and needed to reschedule. Then, it happened again when the rescheduled date came up! Are you KIDDING ME? No excuse for something like that not to be automated to ensure it doesn't happen in the year 2021).

Last edited:
Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
As @SabrToothSqrl said the service used to be better than almost any car manufacture. Then Elon decided it was a cost center, closed or scaled back the service centers, changed the interaction paradigm and basically took it into the dark ages. Whether it was to increase profits at a time when he did not have profits, to show he was viable, or just to improve the immediate bottom line, who knows. Statistically they may be better off from a profit view but talk to K-Mart, Mervin's, Sears, GE and a host of other companies that felt this was the right approach in today's 'non relationship' world of 'right now selling'. 🤢

As @SabrToothSqrl said the service used to be better than almost any car manufacture. Then Elon decided it was a cost center, closed or scaled back the service centers, changed the interaction paradigm and basically took it into the dark ages. Whether it was to increase profits at a time when he did not have profits, to show he was viable, or just to improve the immediate bottom line, who knows. Statistically they may be better off from a profit view but talk to K-Mart, Mervin's, Sears, GE and a host of other companies that felt this was the right approach in today's 'non relationship' world of 'right now selling'. 🤢
Good point. 25 years ago, if you said there would be no Sears stores in 2021, people would've looked at you like you'd lost your mind. They had a snobbish attitude about the way they did business and refused to adapt to the changing times. If it could happen to them, it could happen to any company.

Tesla service has become a sick joke. As others have pointed out, it was amazing to begin with. I had a Model S from 2016-2019, and during the first couple of years, I felt like it was the best service I'd had from any previous manufacturer. Now I have a Model X, and if Tesla service doesn't improve, I won't be getting another one.

Here's an example. Today I had to take the MX down to the service center to repair several issues (steering wheel heater not working, windshield wipers not functioning properly, horn broken, etc.). As usual, they didn't have a loaner for me. They gave me Uber vouchers, but it took me 25 min to summon an Uber that was willing to drive me back to where I live, which is about 30 minutes from the service center. I missed an important appointment because of this. All of the Tesla service people were apologetic (one of them even joked that I'd get better results by Tweeting Elon than complaining to them), but essentially said "our hands are tied, there's nothing we can do".

Compare this to warranty service with our Range Rover Sport, which we spend >$25k less to buy. They send a service person up to our house with a loaner vehicle, drop that with us, take our vehicle down, service it, then bring it back up to our house and reclaim the loaner. THAT is the service I expect for a car that costs nearly $100k.

I love a lot of things about my Model X, but the "hidden costs" of owning one are just not worth it to me anymore.

The basic lack of loaners is an insult. My friend gets a loaner for her JEEP to be inspected. I need a CAR. Not an uber whatever.

Hell, Audi gives us a loaner when getting my Tesla inspected. How funny is that?!
My local BMW dealer no longer gives loaners. I think they sold all the loaners they had. With used cars selling for as much as new ones, I don't blame them.

Reactions: Canyonero
My local BMW dealer no longer gives loaners. I think they sold all the loaners they had. With used cars selling for as much as new ones, I don't blame them.

Tesla has been giving out uber credits before the pandemic started. Once they started delivering model 3s, service has been going downhill.

Previously, we would be well taken care of, almost everything (minus new tires) was covered under "goodwill". Now its a 50/50 chance that they will cover something even under warranty. I really dread heading in as it depends on your service advisor and how much you are willing to push to have them fix an issue. And when they do cover it, they act like they are doing you a favor, when you know if you go all the way to arbitration its 100% going to be covered.

At the end of the day though, it's not worth the time/effort to fight it. Tesla still has the best range/speed/autopilot tech in the business, and can continue to give this level service b/c there is no real competition (yet).

Good point. 25 years ago, if you said there would be no Sears stores in 2021, people would've looked at you like you'd lost your mind. They had a snobbish attitude about the way they did business and refused to adapt to the changing times. If it could happen to them, it could happen to any company.
Yes. Loosing the humbleness and not listening to the customers is usually the beginning of the end.

Elon stopped listening to the real customers long ago, now he only listens to the superfans that never say one bad word about anything regardless of how bad things are. PR was killed, all customer feedback via all tools was killed. Even the service feedback form is now asking about things they want to hear and all for statistical purposes only, not that anyone cares otherwise.

This is my second Tesla. I love driving them. And for a while, I was willing to look past the service issues and many other things like an interior that is far less luxurious and functional than even a $40k car. At this point, I'm no longer willing to make those compromises. I'll be buying out my lease and selling my MX, and replacing it with a Cayenne, Mercedes GLE 350/450, BMW X5, or Range Rover Sport. They're not EVs, they're not as fun to drive, yes. But each of them (at least in my area) offer pick-up/delivery service with loaner vehicles, and they just work better.

For example, in our Range Rover Sport, we have 4-zone climate, far better windshield wiper controls and functionality (which means a lot where I live), a more comfortable cabin, more effective heat/AC, Apple CarPlay, more interior storage, etc. It just feels a lot more like a $90k+ vehicle. And the Land Rover dealer locally is amazing. They go above and beyond with service.

I'll wait a few more years until Porsche, Land Rover, or other established companies have competitive EV options where I don't need to sacrifice so much just to own one. I put a deposit down on a Rivain R1S, but I will probably cancel because they're going to face the exact same issues. I don't even know if/when Rivian is planning a service center near me. And even if they do have one, they almost certainly won't have loaners, because they will be trying to keep up with their production targets and won't want to dedicate vehicles to that purpose. Not profitable.

I appreciate what Elon/Tesla have done in moving the EV market forward. And I get that many others are willing to look past these issues because of the superior performance/range/charging infrastructure of Teslas. I was myself, before. But not any longer.