Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else surprised by the lack of news?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm quite impressed by the lack of leaks. Surely there are dozens of people internally who have access to photos, and hundreds who know specific details about features. I like that though, I hope there is no pre-reveal leak like there was for the D/Autopilot event.

I'm quite impressed by the lack of leaks. Surely there are dozens of people internally who have access to photos, and hundreds who know specific details about features. I like that though, I hope there is no pre-reveal leak like there was for the D/Autopilot event.

I was thinking the same thing. Apple, Inc. has a reputation of playing their cards close to the vest and under Tim Cook even vowed to tighten product leaks even further. Yet, by the time Apple releases most products, macrumors.com has eradicated much of the mystery. Comparatively, Tesla is a black hole of information about their products. It's amazing. And I, too, like it. I want to be surprised and impressed when Tesla unveils the M3.

I was thinking the same thing. Apple, Inc. has a reputation of playing their cards close to the vest and under Tim Cook even vowed to tighten product leaks even further. Yet, by the time Apple releases most products, macrumors.com has eradicated much of the mystery. Comparatively, Tesla is a black hole of information about their products. It's amazing. And I, too, like it. I want to be surprised and impressed when Tesla unveils the M3.
The big difference is that most Apple leaks come from the huge list of manufacturers and their employees, because Apple builds nothing on its own.
Tesla is much more vertically integrated

There's a big difference between designing a car in a studio for release in a year and a half and building a few prototypes as compared to preparing to sell millions of an item in the next couple months. By the time Apple announces a product thousands of people know the details across dozens of companies. Often the leaks come from suppliers.

• Helpful
Reactions: mutle
I'm surprised that there aren't any "leaks" or some kind of official "teasing".
If tesla had something really good wouldn't it be logical to do some kind of teasing?
I hope I'm wrong

No worries, you are (wrong).
Why would they do the teasing? To increase anticipation and excitement. It looks like there is enough of both already so no teasing needed.
They've already sampled the reservation interest internally and half-internally. They know what to expect and are satisfied with it.

First Model S pictures surfaced on the day of reveal, a few hours before the official event.

Last edited:
How can there be leaks? Even today, very few Tesla employees know details of the Model X, let alone a product to be released in 2 years! Heck, I fully expect that some of the Model 3 details to be discussed on Thursday will change between now and release. And then 3 months after release...

There are rumblings and rumors that those who go in-store to put down deposits on the 31st, prior to the launch event that night, will be shown at least one press-release style picture of the car.

If you're going to get a leak, it will be there, as someone will post it online.

Would Elon be upset at the "leaker" and boot their Model 3 reservation?

There are rumblings and rumors that those who go in-store to put down deposits on the 31st, prior to the launch event that night, will be shown at least one press-release style picture of the car.

If you're going to get a leak, it will be there, as someone will post it online.

Somehow I doubt this will be the case. They don't want anyone knowing what it'll look like before they unveil it.

My local store told me explicitly there will be no photos and wanted to make sure that I understood I'd be putting a deposit down on a car I couldn't see.

I'm surprised that there aren't any "leaks" or some kind of official "teasing".

If tesla had something really good wouldn't it be logical to do some kind of teasing?

I hope I'm wrong

The reveal event is in 3 days. After that, we're looking at a minimum of about 18 months before first deliveries.

I don't think Tesla will need much in the way of teasers to generate sustained interest. As things stand, there's already a niche industry of car paparazzi that sells spy photos to the major industry publications. We'll have plenty of camo'd prototypes to drool over as the Model 3 gets closer to production.

Get ready for endless speculation on how the Model 3 design will evolve, both inside and outside.