TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anyone else think the falcon doors + normal front doors is weird looking

Discussion in 'Model X' started by InsanityWolf, Feb 9, 2012.

1. InsanityWolf

InsanityWolf Member

Does anyone else think that the normal front doors plus falcon doors in the book is a bit odd combination. I think a cooler look is if there is just one set of falcon doors (one falcon door on each side of the car). Basically combine the front and back door, so each side has one falcon wing that opens and reveals all the rows. The wing doors will be bigger than the current ones but smaller than both doors put side by side.

2. They should have done lambo doors up front and had a circus clown giving ridealongs, spinning hubcaps optional.

3. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

lol........

4. LST

LST Senior Member

I don't care too much how it looks when open. I just can't find any advantage over, say, sliding doors ? The set of two doors makes IMO perfect sense, it's a family car, so you got to be able to get out of the car, without opening the rear doors / access to the rear seats. It would be too dangerous otherwise. The disadvantage of falcon doors is the impossibility to have a roof rack. BTW how high do you guess they open up ? Really could also be a problem in car parks. Must say my expectations were higher than what i saw until now. I was expecting a really (huge) practical family hauler. The sloping line / hatchback style does not promise that.

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I agree, I also thought sliding doors would have worked, but I guess there's not enough room for the rail and elon probably didn't want minivans doors

6. fraccy

fraccy Member

Oh my life what have they done? :confused:

7. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Falcon doors = meh to fail.

I'm willing to bet they don't make production.

8. Bearman

Bearman Member

I like the doors, its just very unusual. I get frustrated when every single car looks and functions exactly the same, we just have to see if its practical or not.

9. Fr23shjive

Fr23shjive Member

Do you think that is still a possibility? I would like to see the falcon doors as options but Elon seems like the type that once he's committed to an idea, he runs with it. I think it's unlikely that he changes.

10. InsanityWolf

InsanityWolf Member

#10 InsanityWolf, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
    Can we at least make all the doors falcons?

Can we at least make all the doors falcons? Its just so bizarre that the front has normal doors but the back is all futuristic falcon?

Also, the top can still carry stuff like bikes and snowboards, you just gotta exit the front, remove them, and then let the ppl in the back out. Failure to remember that there was stuff on your roof may prove disastrous.

11. Bearman

Bearman Member

Well the frunk and the trunk are falcon too :wink:

12. Mitrovic

Mitrovic Member

Yes. I like it how it is! You need motorised doors in the back, and the falcon doors look just better then sliding doors!

13. felixtb

felixtb RsEU502,Sp+14274,XpEUSig4

must say in real life it looked spectacular and the doors were very easy to get in and out of. on another note the sloping roof did not make it to difficult to sit in the third row. I am 6'3" and was fine in the third row. not a lot of head room above but enough to be comfortable.

14. domenick

domenick Nerd

I was unsure looking at the first photos on my phone but they definitely look better in the videos I've seen since I got back to the house.

15. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Agree.

16. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight _____ P85 #549 _____ Sig Red / Sig White

+1

I am 6'4" and I was shocked that I had enough headroom.

The reason I could sit bolt upright and not touch the ceiling was because the headliner ended about 9" in front of my face and above my head was just the rear windshield.

I can tell you the third row has more headroom than my sister's 2005 Honda Odyssey.

17. Bearman

Bearman Member

Thank you for the information, could you also tell us what the legroom was like and seating comfort/height?
    Haven't seen any pictures of the third row.

18. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight _____ P85 #549 _____ Sig Red / Sig White

I don't remember the legroom being an issue at all- it was good. And the 2nd row was all the way back too.

I was able to get in and get out of the third row directly but moving the seat forward (there were electric buttons up high on the side of the 2nd row) makes it a piece of cake.

My friend who is 6'5" sat in the second row and he said the headroom and legroom were great there too.

19. Bearman

Bearman Member

Very good, thanks.

20. tnawara

tnawara Member

Not that I think they're the most stylish vehicles in the world, but do all minivans also look bizarre to you?