TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anyone else thinking about Fire Suppression in their garage?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by maximizese, Sep 6, 2019.

1. maximizese

maximizese Member

With the recent spontaneous car fires, not necessarily limited to Teslas (BMW, Hyundai, etc), has anyone thought about retrofitting a fire suppression system in their garage where they park? I'd hate to have a fire overnight or while I was away, especially with pets in their crates at night. Would a water sprinkler system be sufficient or slow the fire down at all? My house has water pipes going through the attic and I'm thinking about remodeling...might as well consider adding a sprinkler system. Thoughts?

2. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Did you ever consider it with an ICE vehicle that has 10-20 gallons of one of the most volatile, combustible liquids you can buy?
    No? Hm.

• Like x 1
  3. Cirrus MS100D

Cirrus MS100D Supporting Member

4. ckoval7

ckoval7 Mild One

If the battery goes up, the fire suppression system won't help. The money is better invested in a better insurance policy.

5. maximizese

maximizese Member

I guess I'll have to talk to a fire fighter who has dealt or trained with EV fires, I have a feeling that none of us really know what's effective. As for insurance, I've got home/auto and an umbrella policy, but the idea here to mitigate damage before it's done. There are many things that money cannot replace.

6. JPP

JPP Active Member

Our entire house and garage have fire sprinklers per code.

• Like x 1
  7. dk10438

dk10438 Member

Water won’t extinguish a battery fire, not unless you submerge the car

8. JPP

JPP Active Member

...cools it down a bit. otherwise is someone thinking of a full blown Halon system to suppress the O2 in the garage?

9. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Active Member

Are you referring those Automatic FE36 Fire Extinguisher?

[​IMG]

10. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Active Member

I would recommend looking at this recent fire, caused by the UPS battery of a home computer server.

Tesla Model S Catches Fire In Toronto Garage - EV Was Not Plugged In

TMC - My Tesla burns in house fire. Sad.