Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else tired of the "anti" selling of M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But with everything on the screen, you'd have no indication of vehicle speed, and you'd be unable to perform any function other than steering, acceleration & braking, and whatever's on the steering wheel. Maybe you could change climate controls from the steering wheel, but you'd have no idea what you'd changed the setting to. Likewise, you'd have no way of setting AP parameters, or if those controls are also on the wheel you'd have no way of knowing what setting you had. The car would be drivable, but you'd be "blind" as to all your settings. At the very least, a speedometer and distance-to-empty indicator should be displayed independently.

This is something I hate about my Prius. Whether I use the steering-wheel buttons or the touch screen I have to keep pressing Up or Down to get where I want. Some things are just plain better with old-fashioned knobs!!!
If the instrument cluster in your typical car bonks out (or even in the Model S) you end up with the same thing. Note, as pointed out in other threads, today's instrument clusters are all digital (even the ones that have "analog" gauges), so the entire cluster can die out at once (unlike the old days when each gauge was independent).

I don't see the need for redundancy.

Reactions: JeffK
Luckily it runs Linux :D

Does it really? I thought these sorts of things usually ran on proprietary purpose-built operating systems. But as long as it doesn't run Windows, I'm good with it. ;)

If the instrument cluster in your typical car bonks out (or even in the Model S) you end up with the same thing. Note, as pointed out in other threads, today's instrument clusters are all digital (even the ones that have "analog" gauges), so the entire cluster can die out at once (unlike the old days when each gauge was independent).

I don't see the need for redundancy.

You really don't see the need for redundancy? The fact that the whole cluster is one unit is all the more reason for redundancy.

The fact that the whole cluster is one unit is all the more reason for redundancy.
As @stopcrazypp is saying in most modern cars the instrument panel is one unit controlled by one board.

If that board were to fail the entire thing may fail. If the connector comes loose the entire panel dies.

And yes, Tesla vehicles use Linux for the display and for AP 2.0

Last edited:
As you may know their powertrain warranty is 8 years unlimited miles which is very good and the limited warranty is 4 years 50,000 miles which is quite competitive... same as buick, volvo, 10k miles less than Infinity, longer and more miles than GM...

If you want longer then you're stuck with hyundai, mitsubishi, or a kia.
What about $1200 for one door handle, $5k computer replacement, etc..?

As far as drive unit you forget to mention that they fail all the time and after the 8 year warranty the car is essentially worthless. Many tesla owners have had several drive units.

There is a lot of tesla fans who complain about these issues, it's not some random conspiracy theory. A lot of owners are planning to sell their car before the warranty period expires.

What about $1200 for one door handle, $5k computer replacement, etc..?

As far as drive unit you forget to mention that they fail all the time and after the 8 year warranty the car is essentially worthless. Many tesla owners have had several drive units.

There is a lot of tesla fans who complain about these issues, it's not some random conspiracy theory. A lot of owners are planning to sell their car before the warranty period expires.
Weren't those out of warranty replacements? Shoot on my (old) VW Golf the Kessy handles were pretty expensive. I haven't been trolling the Model S forum recently but haven't the DU replacements been mainly for earlier vehicles? I wonder if the X has been having the same issue...

Repeating the question: "Anyone else tired of the "anti" selling of M3?"

Why would any Tesla owner get tired about the topic. It makes current owners of Model S/X feel good about their purchase. It also gives them good ideas on how to promote the sale of their S/X EVs if they downsize to Model 3. With all the choices and future designs, there will be a BEV for everyone.

• Funny
Reactions: DR61
I reckon not many...its only a month delay. If you waited it out over a year, a month isn't a ton -- thought im sure it seems like end of the world to many.

that being said, i might be one of the cancellations if my father in law doesn't want my reservation. i bought a different car 3 weeks ago.

As noted earlier, I still expect the delay to be more than a month. My new estimate from Tesla is February-April. I expect June or July. And I expect it to be a wonderful car. Tesla underestimates how long anything will take them. But they pride themselves on quality. They will delay the car further in order to make sure it's the car we all want it to be.

It would be better if they were less optimistic about time lines, because people do get upset by delays, and the market will react negatively. But I'd rather have a car built by a company that cannot accurately predict when a new model will make it to market, than a car built by a company that gets everything out on time at the sacrifice of quality.

As noted earlier, I still expect the delay to be more than a month. My new estimate from Tesla is February-April. I expect June or July. And I expect it to be a wonderful car. Tesla underestimates how long anything will take them. But they pride themselves on quality. They will delay the car further in order to make sure it's the car we all want it to be.

It would be better if they were less optimistic about time lines, because people do get upset by delays, and the market will react negatively. But I'd rather have a car built by a company that cannot accurately predict when a new model will make it to market, than a car built by a company that gets everything out on time at the sacrifice of quality.
Quality and time are not directly opposed to one another.

Just because you spend more time on something doesn't automatically make it better. As it stands right now the 220 Model 3's roaming the country appear to be spot on concerning quality. I'm watching the videos and remarks very carefully. There don't seem to be any problems.

There is no need to improve quality on the Model 3. Its all good according to everyone so far.

Quality and time are not directly opposed to one another.

Just because you spend more time on something doesn't automatically make it better. As it stands right now the 220 Model 3's roaming the country appear to be spot on concerning quality. I'm watching the videos and remarks very carefully. There don't seem to be any problems.

There is no need to improve quality on the Model 3. Its all good according to everyone so far.

Agreed. But some car companies make poor-quality cars right on deadline. Tesla makes good-quality cars and misses deadlines. I'm just saying I'd rather wait for a Tesla than get a Chevy on time.

Is anti-selling over?

How many reservations will get cancelled now?

I received a sales call regarding my Model 3 about two weeks ago. The anti-selling appears to still be going.

I'm also cancelling my Model 3 reservation. It already doesn't really suit my taste in cars (not that I'm a big car enthusiast to begin with), but the additional delays were the tipping point.

I received a sales call regarding my Model 3 about two weeks ago. The anti-selling appears to still be going.

I'm also cancelling my Model 3 reservation. It already doesn't really suit my taste in cars (not that I'm a big car enthusiast to begin with), but the additional delays were the tipping point.
I'm sure you're not the only one with this tipping point...
wish you best of luck and hopefully you're still on-board the EV-train, there's a lot of awesome competitors coming out soon :D