Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else try Dark Satin Gray chrome delete.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else try Dark Satin Gray chrome delete. I have Pearl White with Aeros without covers. I don't love the black and white look and think it might look cool to match the color of the Aeros without covers. It would also match Performance and Referral wheels.

Dark Satin Gray chrome delete • Instagram

Dark Satin Gray chrome delete • YouTube

Tesla Model 3 DIY Chrome Delete Kit - Tesla Bros - Model 3 Accessories[/QUOTE]

Not my cars ... just ones I've found with Dark Satin Gray chrome delete.
2.png
2020-08-31 14_56_04-Photos.png
2020-08-31 14_56_44-unnamed (4).jpg ‎- Photos.png
2020-08-31 14_56_34-unnamed (3).jpg ‎- Photos.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: dfwatt
Anyone else try Dark Satin Gray chrome delete. I have Pearl White with Aeros without covers. I don't love the black and white look and think it might look cool to match the color of the Aeros without covers. It would also match Performance and Referral wheels.

I was considering doing the same on my pearl white P3D+ but decided against it and went with matte black instead (my pearl white X has satin black). The reason is, although the DSG looks neat close up, it looks like washed out black from a far. I made the decision when my installer showed me a scrap piece of both. Consider doing the same....even better if you take a scrap of both and apply them to a piece of your trim. You can then decide what looks best to you.

Reactions: fritzner
I was considering doing the same on my pearl white P3D+ but decided against it and went with matte black instead (my pearl white X has satin black). The reason is, although the DSG looks neat close up, it looks like washed out black from a far. I made the decision when my installer showed me a scrap piece of both. Consider doing the same....even better if you take a scrap of both and apply them to a piece of your trim. You can then decide what looks best to you.

Good points...

Matte black on the 3 and Satin black on the X.... Do you like the Matte better?
From what I've read it seemed like gloss looked cheep, matte looked dirty, and satin was the most OEM looking. I was planning on satin if I get black.

Here's mine in Dark Satin Grey. I'm still 50/50 on it.

Honestly, I think I really like yours.
I can see that some may not, but it is like almost like a "black chrome" ... definitely looks good with your wheels. Your car is so damn shiny and this pic has so man freakin reflections (nice job BTW) that it is a little hard to get a good feeling for it.

Any more pics?

Is yours DIY or did you have it done?
If it is DIY, do you have any pieces left? I would pay you to ship me some pieces that I could try out.

Good points...

Matte black on the 3 and Satin black on the X.... Do you like the Matte better?
From what I've read it seemed like gloss looked cheep, matte looked dirty, and satin was the most OEM looking. I was planning on satin if I get black.

Both look good but the Satin looks better and more rich to me. Gloss, on the other hand, is not my cup of tea at all.

I can see that some may not, but it is like almost like a "black chrome" ... definitely looks good with your wheels. Your car is so damn shiny and this pic has so man freakin reflections (nice job BTW) that it is a little hard to get a good feeling for it.

Any more pics?

If it is DIY, do you have any pieces left? I would pay you to ship me some pieces that I could try out.

Looks good but is a bit light relative to the wheels. I think the main advantage of getting DSG is to tie it together with the wheels OR to simply be a bit different relative to the common matte/satin black chrome delete. I live in one of the most Tesla dense areas in the country and surprisingly, I still don't see chrome delete (in any color) all that frequently.

You can buy small samples for $2.50 shipped and simply check things out yourself.

Satin black: https://www.amazon.com/Película-vin...black+vinyl+wrap+sample&qid=1598901986&sr=8-4

DSG: https://www.amazon.com/3M-S261-Sati...901883&sprefix=3m+dark+satin+g,aps,249&sr=8-7

Both look good but the Satin looks better and more rich to me. Gloss, on the other hand, is not my cup of tea at all.

Looks good but is a bit light relative to the wheels. I think the main advantage of getting DSG is to tie it together with the wheels OR to simply be a bit different relative to the common matte/satin black chrome delete. I live in one of the most Tesla dense areas in the country and surprisingly, I still don't see chrome delete (in any color) all that frequently.

You can buy small samples for $2.50 shipped and simply check things out yourself.

Satin black: https://www.amazon.com/Película-vinilo-satinada-cubreautos-S12/dp/B00DJF265K/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=3m+satin+black+vinyl+wrap+sample&qid=1598901986&sr=8-4

DSG: https://www.amazon.com/3M-S261-Satin-Sample-Vinyl/dp/B01MRXI58T/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2L33MJNSOJ2RR&dchild=1&keywords=3m+satin+dark+grey+vinyl+wrap&qid=1598901883&sprefix=3m+dark+satin+g,aps,249&sr=8-7

Great info, thanks!

There about 20 different blacks ... is there not a gray darker than this one?
Did you get it from Tesla Bros or elsewhere?
I don't think the Aeros are the same color as the Performance wheels, but I don't really know how they compare to each other ... as in which is darker and which is lighter.

I will look at getting a sample.

Any more pics?

It was DIY. I bought a large sheet of 3M Dark Satin Gray and cut it out myself. I didn't use any of the kits otherwise I'd help you out. I do wish it was a bit darker to match the wheels. In the sun it kinda does look like a dark chrome. I think if I went with a Matte, it might look darker in the sun. But not interested in redoing it all at the moment.

I'll take the shiny as a compliment. Glad to know the ceramic coat is doing its job! :D

Here's another picture of it being applied in the garage. Some chrome so you can compare.
61384999536__0FE73FE2-8710-4E8F-ADF1-112ADA832575.JPG

I'll look to see if I have any satin black around the house. I'll throw some on and take a pic for you.

Reactions: slade037
It was DIY. I bought a large sheet of 3M Dark Satin Gray and cut it out myself. I didn't use any of the kits otherwise I'd help you out. I do wish it was a bit darker to match the wheels. In the sun it kinda does look like a dark chrome. I think if I went with a Matte, it might look darker in the sun. But not interested in redoing it all at the moment.

I'll take the shiny as a compliment. Glad to know the ceramic coat is doing its job! :D

Here's another picture of it being applied in the garage. Some chrome so you can compare.
View attachment 583012

I'll look to see if I have any satin black around the house. I'll throw some on and take a pic for you.

Wow, a true DIY chrome delete ... impressive!
Also ... yes, the shiny comment was definitely a compliment.

Thanks for the pics with the chrome showing!

I'm going to do the full DSG delete on my pearl white SR+ with sport wheels (which I'll powder coat to match). The B-pillar being black might bug me till I get the windows tinted but honestly, I wanted something a bit different. The black delete is only going to become more common, in fact, most signs point to it becoming the factory option!

Plus IMO white with grey accents is a killer look, especially if you paint your calipers yellow.

I'm going to do the full DSG delete on my pearl white SR+ with sport wheels (which I'll powder coat to match). The B-pillar being black might bug me till I get the windows tinted but honestly, I wanted something a bit different. The black delete is only going to become more common, in fact, most signs point to it becoming the factory option!

Plus IMO white with grey accents is a killer look, especially if you paint your calipers yellow.

I was just sitting here looking through pics of trim!!
When are you doing yours?
Having it done or getting a kit?
Post up pics!!!

I was just sitting here looking through pics of trim!!
When are you doing yours?
Having it done or getting a kit?
Post up pics!!!

I've got the kit from Tesla Bros sitting right next to me, but no car for at least another 10 days, unfortunately!

If you're not in a rush I'll post pics eventually, hopefully before the end of this month.

In the meantime, here's a close-up look at one of the pieces. Taken it outside, overcast skies.

Attachments

• 20200901_095144.jpg
    20200901_095144.jpg
    801.1 KB · Views: 283
I've got the kit from Tesla Bros sitting right next to me, but no car for at least another 10 days, unfortunately!

If you're not in a rush I'll post pics eventually, hopefully before the end of this month.

In the meantime, here's a close-up look at one of the pieces. Taken it outside, overcast skies.

Maybe you should come down and practice on my Pearl White SR with Aeros so you are ready for when yours arrive!

Thanks for the pic. Definitely post when you finish.
I've had mine since December, chrome delete is on the list ... but I'm not in a huge rush. I am very happy with the other mods so far.

You consider body-color?

There isn't a really great match for the factory pearl white color. I had the handles on my X done in 3M's closest match along with satin black for everything else. You can see differences in terms of hue/tone and metallic content, especially at angle. It is like 90% match. Bottom line, I wouldn't do chrome delete with the intent of matching the paint color.

F0FE74C4-CEF3-4300-AB16-9914F6ABCF9D.jpeg
3040DA2A-E4AD-47BE-BF42-35D9AE5404A0.jpeg
69EF9AE0-E935-4F0D-A25A-EC6A755B3389.jpeg