Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else waiting on Track Mode to decide P3D- or P3D+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UnknownSoldier

Unknown Member
Apr 17, 2017
Earth
Tesla Model 3 Performance: Track Test

We all know it's in the P3D+ with the Performance Package that Road & Track magazine tested in their article.

The real question is whether the P3D- (if you order the P3D but without the PP) will also have it.

I'm wanting to pull the trigger on my P3D but I've been waiting to find out if Track Mode will be in all P3D or if the PP will be required to enable it. We already know you need the PP to enable 155 mph speed, if you don't have the PP you are limited to 145 mph speed. Now the extra 10 mph is generally not practically useful but it's an indicator that Tesla are willing to lock out software functions from people who don't have PP.

So here I sit and wait until Track Mode is pushed out via OTA to the existing P3D fleet and we find out for sure. Anyone else also waiting to find this out besides me?

Were u banking on getting the federal tax credit ? It’s getting close to that time ~beg September where u would want to lock the order in to take delivery before 12/31 IMO the 5k is not a big amount line what S X owners previously paid for a software Luda upgrade ~10k ..at least on 3 u get tangible hardware as well

Reactions: dek526
I'm actually not fond of the skinny tires on the P3D+, I heard from S owners with the 21" wheels when you got the skinny tires they last like 4k miles and then you need to replace them and if you touch a curb or hit a pothole you destroy your rims. So my real reason for wanting the P3D- is just for the normal wheels. The other hardware isn't a big deal one way or the other, I could just throw on aftermarket stuff if I actually wanted to track it someday.

But yes I really do want the full tax credit and deciding time is getting short. Also every day I wait, my trade-in S 90D with normal 19" wheels loses more value LMAO

On my P85s(+,D) the staggered tires did burn thru fast sometimes under 12k ...however the P3D+(or whatever it’s called) my understanding is doesn’t have staggered? ..the S also had SAS which lowered/raised car which further contributed to wear ..low profile tires alone won’t wear quicker ..would be interesting to see if P3 has as much negative rear camber as the S did ..coming from the S world my feeling is you will have to pay to get all the good stuff ie get the perf package

The problem with this is that I read the bigger brake calipers on P3D+ won't fit under smaller aftermarket wheels. The reason for the 20" wheels is to fit those giant red calipers inside.

I’m not sure where all this info coming from ..the S P85D, 90,100 has bigger brakes than the P3 and they have 19s ...there is a thread here somewhere where has pics that show this .

You can't discuss the S situation when talking about the 3 though. People have commented on this very forum about the bigger calipers on the P3D+ and how the 18" wheels will not fit on the P3D+. I think I've read some people are going to try and put 19" wheels on for their winter tires, since the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tires that come on the P3D+ are NOT for winter driving and you do need a winter set if you buy the P3D+ and live somewhere where the temperature drops below 40 degrees in the winter or it snows.

It is lame to announce a feature and not inform buyers of these details. Vagueness seems to be a Tesla trait for reasons I cannot understand. Perhaps the enjoy customers speculating endlessly on forums instead of transparency. There are hundreds of threads with unnecessary speculation... Good thing the product is great, so they can get away with this.

Reactions: Ulmo
Boy it sure would be nice to find out I dunno relatively soon if Track Mode will be in all P3D variants, seeing as how I would like to put my order in so I can get my car delivered while I can still get the full $7,500 tax rebate.

Does anyone have Twitter and can ask Elon about this? Clarity here would be super helpful.

I think it's really interesting to read people wanting luda and track mode but have no real life experience with tires when it comes to things like this. Honestly, if people think they can run a few track days and launches but keep the tires for 20K+ miles they're in for a rude awakening.

More on topic, I think it would be nice to know what it does and the breakdown of it, as well as if it's tied only to the Performance package. If it's fancy wording for torque vectoring and a stopwatch consuming the screen it might not be a big deal. I doubt it'll be truly significant until they come out on air suspensions so there can be variations in that like PASM (Porsche) and sport chrono to help with tuning the dampeners ETC.

Brownlee and Musk talk about track mode around the 8:15 mark of this interview.

Sounds like track mode will be customizable. I wish Brownlee asked if it would be available to all Performance Model 3's.

Musk did say this though:
"if you do this, it’s a bit risky; you’re going to wear out your brakes a little sooner, you might blow a circuit.’ But it’ll be clear, ‘this is the risk that you’re taking.’ It’s kind of like if you have a graphics card in your computer, you can go in there and you can change the settings and over-clock things."

I wonder if track mode would have to be calibrated for your brakes.

Given unlike most video cards the car will both know, and be able to directly tell, the MFG how much and how often you're abusing it, it'll be interesting to see if track modes warning messages include anything about warranty coverage being impacted

News just in: Electric sliding: We test the Tesla Model 3 Performance's new Track Mode

Tesla will be pushing the Track Mode software update over-the-air to the Model 3 Performance "soon" -- that's as specific as Tesla's representatives were willing to get -- but only if the Performance Upgrade package is also equipped.

So now we know that they are only planning on giving track mode to the people that paid $5k for the Performance Upgrade Package.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
the car will both know, and be able to directly tell, the MFG how much and how often you're abusing it, it'll be interesting to see if track modes warning messages include anything about warranty coverage being impacted

Similarly, uncertainty regarding the extent of such track mode usage can reduce the resale value of the vehicle - except maybe if the potential, new buyer can get information regarding the actual usage pattern, which can then be properly priced into the sale.

Similarly, uncertainty regarding the extent of such track mode usage can reduce the resale value of the vehicle - except maybe if the potential, new buyer can get information regarding the actual usage pattern, which can then be properly priced into the sale.
Manufacturers keep track of how many times cars use launch mode and such. I think you're right and for some people it will hurt it. It's not a GT3 after-all where it's expected. I think if anything it'l be useful for Tesla to also differentiate potential owner abuse versus factory defect.

Manufacturers keep track of how many times cars use launch mode and such. I think you're right and for some people it will hurt it. It's not a GT3 after-all where it's expected. I think if anything it'l be useful for Tesla to also differentiate potential owner abuse versus factory defect.

lol, that's a wishful stretch don't you think? How many ludicrous enabled vehicle warranty claims have been denied? Launch control? etc. The engineering is there and its guaranteed!