Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else wish you could adjust lane placement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Call me crazy but I wish I could adjust where in the lane the car drives while on AP. I know humans have a tendency to hug the right (in the U.S.) when driving and our cars are more centered in the lane. I feel like that everyone that passes by me from the opposite direction is afraid that I'm going to come into their lane because I'm "too" close to the line between us.

I know cases would be different and could be a pain to implement, but on a two-way street with one lane for each direction, I wish I could have Tessleract (my car's name) drive itself a smidge over to the right.

Anyone else feel this way?

Yes, very much. As others have said, I think the car is in a good location, but my perception is that it's too far to the left.

Related to that, I was surprised recently when on a curve to the right the car actually went onto the center rumble strip a bit. Yes, I probably shouldn't have been using AP in that situation.

median-ctr01-closeup.jpg

I'd like to be able to adjust the position in the lane because my MS unfortunately hugs the right line in autopilot. The SC refuses to correct the problem.

To make sure it's not my imagination I've slowed the car down to a very slow speed and then stopped and made measurements. The car is 1 foot closer to the right line than the left line.

Call me crazy but I wish I could adjust where in the lane the car drives while on AP. I know humans have a tendency to hug the right (in the U.S.) when driving and our cars are more centered in the lane. I feel like that everyone that passes by me from the opposite direction is afraid that I'm going to come into their lane because I'm "too" close to the line between us.

I know cases would be different and could be a pain to implement, but on a two-way street with one lane for each direction, I wish I could have Tessleract (my car's name) drive itself a smidge over to the right.

Yes, in the recommendations thread that was my choice. I tend to drive to the outside of my lane, left of center, if in left lane, and right of center, if in right lane. Obviously, if I'm in a middle lane, I drive in the middle. Just gives everyone a touch more room. But there are three good reasons to have adjustable placement, besides just my personal preference.

I like having the ability to adjust placement for ruts that cause tram lining, and potholes. Ruts that cause tram lining typically are where everyone drives, particularly heavy trucks. Being able to be 6" to the left or right, would help immensely. The same applies to potholes. Those often are in a line, right where vehicles like to travel. Just being able to offset the vehicle 6" to a foot would mitigate hitting potholes alot, and damaging rims.

And thirdly, being able to adjust placement would help with lane-splitting motorcycles. If you're in the left lane, lane splitters wlll be to your right, so it'd be nice to give them an extra foot, so they don't take off your mirror in anger. The same if you're in the right lane.

So, for those 3 reasons, I'd like the ability to adjust the placement of my Model 3.

The middle is the correct and best place to be. Drivers who stay near one side have learned very dangerous habits.

It's not the other drivers perception, it's your perception that you are in the wrong place.
If you ever rode a motorcycle you would understand that lane placement is a key safety factor. Space is your friend. Of course, cars can’t safely adjust lane placement to the extent of motorcycles, but even a foot might save your bacon especially when driving in the far left carpool lane.

In AZ solo occupant Tesla drivers can always drive in the carpool lane located on the far left. It is good common sense to favor the left portion of that lane while staying inside the lines, as the slow moving or stopped adjoining lanes create a significant risk of sudden lane changes into the carpool lane. (Unlike some states AZ does not have defined carpool lane entry and exit points though even defined entries and exits can’t stop impatient drivers.)

It is my understanding that recent autopilot releases are adjusting lane placement a bit for semis but I haven’t noticed it.

BTW, lest my words get twisted, I am not advocating constantly hugging a line, but rather using the lane width to maximize safety. Obviously hugging a line when in the middle lane of a freeway would not qualify as creating space for a safety margin. Staying left of center in the carpool lane does create a safety margin.

Last edited:
More often than not, when I engage AP my car moves to the right about what I estimate to be 6-12". I don't think it is a problem and while I would like the ability to adjust lane centering, I think that in general it is probably better if it does not become an option.

If you ever rode a motorcycle you would understand that lane placement is a key safety factor. Space is your friend. Of course, cars can’t safely adjust lane placement to the extent of motorcycles, but even a foot might save your bacon especially when driving in the far left carpool lane.

In AZ solo occupant Tesla drivers can always drive in the carpool lane located on the far left. It is good common sense to favor the left portion of that lane while staying inside the lines, as the slow moving or stopped adjoining lanes create a significant risk of sudden lane changes into the carpool lane. (Unlike some states AZ does not have defined carpool lane entry and exit points though even defined entries and exits can’t stop impatient drivers.)

It is my understanding that recent autopilot releases are adjusting lane placement a bit for semis but I haven’t noticed it.

BTW, lest my words get twisted, I am not advocating constantly hugging a line, but rather using the lane width to maximize safety. Obviously hugging a line when in the middle lane of a freeway would not qualify as creating space for a safety margin. Staying left of center in the carpool lane does create a safety margin.

When I am in the carpool lane, I just use TACC instead of AP. That way I could hug left especially when the left side is a service road. Pretty much every other cars hug left. I am thinking, instead of letting you adjust the AP lane position, maybe AP should learn from the cars in front and behind you. If it sees all the cars are hugging one direction, it will also do the same and make it an option "Follow Lane Position" that you could turn on or off. It also could have an added benefit of avoiding potholes.

Reactions: KenC
When I am in the carpool lane, I just use TACC instead of AP. That way I could hug left especially when the left side is a service road. Pretty much every other cars hug left. I am thinking, instead of letting you adjust the AP lane position, maybe AP should learn from the cars in front and behind you. If it sees all the cars are hugging one direction, it will also do the same and make it an option "Follow Lane Position" that you could turn on or off. It also could have an added benefit of avoiding potholes.

You'll follow all the cars off a cliff????

The middle is the safest. Especially in the left lanes, there's often debris on the edge or in-between lanes.
"An extra safety" margin is much more a human thing than a computer thing.

A computer is okay with missing something by 1/2 inch, whereas many humans need about 6 ft to feel safe. Interstate and most highway lane width is at least 12 ft. The Model 3 is 6 ft 1 in. That's 3 feet on either side when the car is in the middle.
Truck width is about 9 ft. That's still 1.5 ft on either side and 4.5 ft between you and it.

Sure, if the other car/truck is on the line, the gap is decreased.

But then again, that's what we are talking about, driving on one side of the lane. Stay in the middle!

Yes, I wish we could have some control over lane placement.

I often drive in the far left carpool lane, and typically skeyw towards the left side of the lane, since I have a much better view, and judgement of where it is located.

As has been mentioned, some forms of lanes splitting is allows in CA, so motorcycles often come flying between cars in the expected space between the lanes.

Someone said that the car should be centered, and I would counter that while there might be trash along the left side of the lane, I have never seen it swerve into my lane due to become frustrated/worried/surprised, unlike many of the zombie drivers on the freeway with tunnel vision who slam on their brakes/and or swerve if someone slows down or tries to merge ahead of them.

I do not want the car to ride the left lane line, but a bias towards it to get me slightly away from other humans and their foibles would be appreciated.

Most potholes around Michigan are at the edge of the road (or right between lanes), so adjusting lane placement would be useful. What would also be useful (short of pothole detection and avoidance) is to be able to mildly steer within a lane for a few seconds w/o AP disengaging.

Brings up a much bigger point. If self driving systems have a chance to be successful, they will need to programmable for your driving style.

It doesn't seem like any of the software teams are even starting to think about that.

PLEASE DON'T ALLOW THIS!!!

There are too many bad driving styles that exist today. That's one of the reasons that fatalities are so high.