Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else with glass defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Jokester46 You should contact your service center and tell them about it. My pano roof developed stress cracks that are now about 2 1/2 feet long. Tesla had me go to the service center. The tech looked at it and told me that it's covered by warranty. I have no idea how long until the part will be delivered, but at least it will be covered by Tesla.

BTW.. I think there may be a process problem with how much adhesive is being used. I've seen other owners say that they have had the same issue as me. This leads me to believe that it's a factory assembly issue rather than a glass part issue.

@Jokester46 You should contact your service center and tell them about it. My pano roof developed stress cracks that are now about 2 1/2 feet long. Tesla had me go to the service center. The tech looked at it and told me that it's covered by warranty. I have no idea how long until the part will be delivered, but at least it will be covered by Tesla.

BTW.. I think there may be a process problem with how much adhesive is being used. I've seen other owners say that they have had the same issue as me. This leads me to believe that it's a factory assembly issue rather than a glass part issue.

Thanks, very helpful

Here’s my Model 3 pano. Noticed the crack going sideways.

Attachments

• 31E2850A-6F83-4FC0-B579-870A4EA153CA.jpeg
    31E2850A-6F83-4FC0-B579-870A4EA153CA.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 336
So I brought my car in today but they said that engineering "has not come up with a solution" to the glass issues and they said if they install a new one it could be worse. Long story short, they will only record a video so that in the future I can bring it back for a replacement.

Yes, I took delivery of my Model 3 on Tuesday of this week. My front roof panel is misaligned so it appears tilted in relation to the windshield header. They ordered a new panel. After this, I noticed the significant distortion in the rear window and will also bring this to their attention.

There were also greasy hand marks on the headliner and some minor paint defects. Will wait until I wash it to see how many issues there are with the paint.View attachment 297426View attachment 297430 View attachment 297431 Love the car!
How did those handprints pass quality?

I took delivery of my Model 3 on Friday... it's an awesome car and I absolutely love it!

I noticed the next day after I drove it home (~3 hours from the service center) that I also have quite a bit of distortion in my rear window, mostly in the lower center part. Mobile service is coming out at some point to fix a dent in one of my panels, so I'm going to ask them to take a look at the window.

Has anyone had their rear glass replaced and had the distortion fixed? From what jasonmason was saying, it sounds like maybe I should just ask them to document the problem and add it to my "due bill."

I too have noticed rear window distortion seemingly related to the defrost wires. I will mention it to the service center if I have a reason to go to one.... Otherwise no other issues to mention. Can we call Tesla and get the issue on record in the event that you don't go in for a long time? It's a little bothersome but not killing me.

I have distortion in my rear window as well due to the defroster element lines. I took it in and they replaced the rear glass for me but the new glass only slightly improved the distortion. I went back to the service center and had one of the techs come out and look at it. He called me a few days later saying that my window has the same amount of distortion as the other Model 3's he compared it to. So he now opened an engineering inquiry for my issue. It's been a few weeks and I haven't heard anything back on that.

I've been waiting to get all my windows tinted until I'm happy with the rear glass but now I'm kinda stuck. I'm not too happy about the distortion but I guess I'll have to live with it for now. It's not overly noticeable if there is a car close behind you, but when there's no one behind you for a ways then it's very noticeable.

I figure I should share my experience here since I ran into this problem as well with my Model 3.

I took delivery of a Model 3 on 6/7 and after I drove off the lot I immediately noticed ripples/distortions in the front and rear windshields. There were 3 areas:
1) Front driver side - small line across the center of the windshield.
2) Front passenger side - large patch of glass ripples when driving past something.
3) Rear middle where the rectangular defroster wire is - small patch probably about 3x4 inches

I took the car for service immediately and one of the techs that drove the car said they'd replace the glass and that it'd take about a week. I was given a loaner left thinking they would actually fix it. A few days later they called me in to pick up the car and said they actually didn't replace anything and that another service technician tested the glass and found it to be within "specs". They pretty much just made a note on my account and told them they'll reach out to me when there is a solution... I guess mine is bad but not bad enough to actually replace? They made it sound like I was crazy for noticing the poor quality of their glass.

• Informative
Reactions: super20g
My rear window seems really blurry at night. It seems okay in the daytime. Could it be the same issue? The crappy thing is that I already got it tinted. I initially thought it was due to the tint but now I’m wondering if it’s the glass.