Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else with Thoughts of holding off order with recent issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like majority of the folks here, I finally pulled the trigger of turning the dream of Tesla ownership to a reality.

however, having some worried thoughts with this containment hold/suspected chip issue, those of us who ordered cars in 2021 could very much foresee a lot of service time in the future for random repairs and issues :/

already seeing some posting on Reddit for new owners

HATE to do this - but I’m thinking of perhaps holding off my order and just waiting till things get sorted so that I don’t have a lemon on my hands. Curious if anyone else is thinking the same or what your thoughts are.

First post is not correlation with the second. First is simply caused by the Chip shortage and the new Chip needs firmware written for it. It doesn’t mean it’s lesser quality or will lead to issues. Car makers change suppliers all the time. Most of the time it is invisible to the general consumer. Only public now due to the shortage.

The issue the second poster had could simply be bad luck. Not indicative of if they had the new part or not and the new part being poor quality. Don’t do something impulsive just because of one bad case.

No need to put it on hold until required to do so (which will probably be at least another month for those of us in the midwest with April order dates, as I don't expect to schedule delivery until the last 2 weeks of June). I am leaning that direction though. Really sucks, I had plans for a summer road-trip and already have the Wall Charger installed. I've tried to keep my needs for new purchases to a minimum during this pandemic, a PS5, a new computer vid card, and a new EV. So far I've gone 0 for 3. This semiconductor squeeze is going to take a long time to normalize.

Reactions: btenison
I am really on the fence about this in general. Last night my wife and I discussed and she wants to bail and change our order to the MS LR we were originally leaning toward. I was with her on that at the time. Today I am leaning towards not waiting and getting the MYP when ours is available.

All the talk about ramping up all the changes in the MY in Austin really make me think to wait. Or invest less and just go with the MY LR instead in case major changes do materialize in the near term it won't be a big of a hit financially. I look at how all the MS P series took a big hit when the next big leap in P performance took place. Maybe a MY LR is a better option short term to ride this out for a year or two.

If I could get the MS LR in the next month or two it would be a non-issue, we'd go for that. Unfortunately just sold my car in anticipation of the MYP showing up in as soon as 3 weeks and waiting 4 months could be a challenge with just one car.

Put your order on hold. It’ll ease your concerns/anxiety. People patiently waiting will get their cars faster by exactly one delivery. Tesla will appreciate it since it provides demand relief their supply chain pro (again, by exactly one delivery).

So to quote Michael Scott, that’s a win-win-win.

Or don’t wait. Your car has a warranty for a reason.

I tried to time my order to avoid the end of quarter push. Now it looks like it’s going to be even crazier then usual 🤷‍♂️ Who knows if things will be better or worse at the end of next quarter? Which apparently is when they deliver cars.
I’m considering putting in a second order. The clock will be running on that order, as I wait to see how things play out with the first. If I have to reject for any reason, I’m 4 weeks ahead in line. $100 is pretty cheap to avoid refreshing my order page obsessively for an extra month.

I am really on the fence about this in general. Last night my wife and I discussed and she wants to bail and change our order to the MS LR we were originally leaning toward. I was with her on that at the time. Today I am leaning towards not waiting and getting the MYP when ours is available.

All the talk about ramping up all the changes in the MY in Austin really make me think to wait. Or invest less and just go with the MY LR instead in case major changes do materialize in the near term it won't be a big of a hit financially. I look at how all the MS P series took a big hit when the next big leap in P performance took place. Maybe a MY LR is a better option short term to ride this out for a year or two.

If I could get the MS LR in the next month or two it would be a non-issue, we'd go for that. Unfortunately just sold my car in anticipation of the MYP showing up in as soon as 3 weeks and waiting 4 months could be a challenge with just one car.
I am in a similar situation and have both an MYP and MS LR on order. I am more hesitant about the MS LR because it has a brand new designed battery 18650 pack, new MCU/displays, new interior, and some new exterior panels. The Model Y has not changed significantly so I would guess there are less potential issues. But who knows.

Someone already reported that the second example above the person had a VIN of 115... so the car was old. I am not putting my order on hold I would like my car. I don't there's going to be an issue...they can't have a big problem on their hands. If it is firmware related I would imagine it's not an issue of writing it but probably testing it and who knows how much validation testing is involved but Elon has always stated that safety is always first (and then fast).

Reactions: MYMY21
No need to put it on hold until required to do so (which will probably be at least another month for those of us in the midwest with April order dates, as I don't expect to schedule delivery until the last 2 weeks of June). I am leaning that direction though. Really sucks, I had plans for a summer road-trip and already have the Wall Charger installed. I've tried to keep my needs for new purchases to a minimum during this pandemic, a PS5, a new computer vid card, and a new EV. So far I've gone 0 for 3. This semiconductor squeeze is going to take a long time to normalize.
For the GPU sign up for the NewEgg Shuffle. I got picked the 2nd try and got a RTX 6800XT in a mobo bundle.

I am in a similar situation and have both an MYP and MS LR on order. I am more hesitant about the MS LR because it has a brand new designed battery 18650 pack, new MCU/displays, new interior, and some new exterior panels. The Model Y has not changed significantly so I would guess there are less potential issues. But who knows.
Those are great points and I've thought about them as well. I guess my optimistic thinking though is the reason for the MS delay is because they have issues with some of these and are trying to get them right before they go to the general release of the car.

I guess in the end its best to approach all Teslas as if you are a beta tester and adopt that mindset. It almost seems like people are getting cars where they are alpha testing or almost doing a proof of concept in a sandbox.

I don't mind a few minor issues if they can actually be fixed at the service center and without being told that everything is in spec when it clearly isn't. I am an engineer and worked at corporate Honda for some time. So in some ways I am more tolerant about some things because I know how hard it can be to get some of these right but very intolerant of things that should be basic blocking and tackling type of issues. Tesla does some incredible things and I appreciate that I just don't want to deal with things like things that should be easy for them to get right like paint and body panel alignment. Still it boggles my mind that they would let cars going to the Tesla store have obvious defects when people are going to be test driving them.

My wife and I reached compromise. We changed our order from the MYP to MY LR. She is less concerned about some of the things than I am but clearly didn't like the suspension and ride quality of the MYP. She isn't opposed to a sporty ride so to speak, just something better controlled. The MY LR didn't feel near as harsh. So maybe they'll come back with the MYP Stealth again, or at least better suspension and real performance wheels for the MYP.

Anyway, it will be her car now and I'll take a wait and see attitude and drive the MS LR when it is finally available. Definitely glad to pass on the MYP's terrible Uberturbines. I saw them again today on the demo car and they are already beat to heck. Does anyone actually like them or is Tesla trying to drive business to the aftermarket? Maybe people don't realize how heavy there are and how badly that impacts performance on a "performance" model.