Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone elses MR constantly start up with a black screen/T logo?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IT would seem safe to say this is not normal. If the computer is sleeping and takes a while to start you should not see the T or the screen reboots every time you enter? Have you tried rebooting the screen to see if it is the same process and time it takes is same?

If your car is asleep, you might see that when it restarts. It shouldn't happen every time, but is possible after the car has sat idle for longer periods of time. It's not unique to the MR. It's been an issue on my P3D+ for a while, too. I had a Tesla Ranger at my house for an issue with my S and he had also seen it on some other 3s. He also sees it as a software issue. Rebooting is unlikely to have any effect.

I don't know that I consider it completely "normal," but I don't see it as any indicator of a larger problem. My P3D+ is now 3 months old, with 2500 miles, and the "problem" is no better or worse than it's been before.

I’ve had my 3 and today was the first time it did this. Got home, went and grabbed the key cards to name them in the car, and when I got back to the car maybe 5 minutes later, the door opened and I waited a good minute for the screen to boot up. I guess mine really wanted a nap today :)

Mine does this when I'm out of 'reach' for an extended period - so not so much these days 'cause it seems to see my phone in the house even when I don't want it to..

This is 'sleep' mode - maybe call Tesla service directly from the car right after one of these unexpected wakeups so they can grab the logs right then and there..

IT would seem safe to say this is not normal. If the computer is sleeping and takes a while to start you should not see the T or the screen reboots every time you enter? Have you tried rebooting the screen to see if it is the same process and time it takes is same?

Yup, have tried rebooting using the steering wheel buttons, as well as rebooting through the touchscreen menu, problem still happens on a daily basis.

I think it is some sort of "bug" with the latest release. My dual motor starting doing that after the 44.2 update. My performance (46.2) doesn't seem to have the same issue.
My performance does do it though, on 46.2. Happens daily.

I have a service appointment for something else and added this to it. I will let you know what they say about it. My appointment isnt till the 12/27 though.

Since this does this on startup, pretty much every time I get into the car, I wondered if the car was drivable while the screen was booting, and it is.

For me its like this:

1. Walk up to car with phone in pocket (phone key, iPhone). Successfully open door with phone in pocket (has worked 99%+, I think only failing to open once.)
2. Get into car, step on brake. Hear loud "aluminum crinkle" popping noise (almost every time). Wait about 5-7 seconds. Notice screen is completely black, no power.
3. See screen boot up, with Tesla logo
4. Tesla logo goes away, black screen, wait 10-15 seconds
5. Regular screen with map, car etc appears.

Basically to me, it appears as a full reboot, if I thought of this as a computer (which it is) vs being in a sleep mode. It appears to me that my car fully reboots every time It goes to sleep physically, instead of being in a sleep mode. Being on wall power or not doesnt change it. Once screen is up, it runs fine.

Reactions: mywhitenoise
Mine has been doing this since I got it in January. I don't think it is normal, but I am learning to live with it. Last time it was at the service center they said it would be fixed in the next firmware update. That was back before Version 9 and no fix yet.

I've had the car for about a week (MidRange model), half the time it starts up with a black screen, followed by the T logo, and then another 20 seconds for the map and rear view cam to show up. Not sure how to fix this, or if it's normal.
odd but i just had a 2018 loaner with that same issue, not all the time but 2 or three times the center screen was up and the smaller screen had the T for a few sec before displaying info

I picked my new model 3 at the end of December 2018 and have had numerous issues with my black screen the Tesla service center here in Atlanta in entirely useless. I have recorded the black screen, with time stamps all they did was format the car remotely and had me manually update my car to 28.3 now the screen has gone off once again on three different occasions in which now the ac doesn't even turn on.

Do you guys have any assistance to this matter?

Luckily I have all recordings and time stamps with these issues on my vehicle.