Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else's voice command getting worse ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the last two updates the voice command system in my 2018 P100D has gotten worse. Most of the time when I push the button, the icon that appears just spins around for a while and then fails, it frequently never gets to the prompt beep. The voice command system has always been hit or miss for me, but now its mostly miss. Is it an MCU 1 issue or connectivity ? I have no problems with music streaming of maps.

Mine have been abysmal for a long time now, I virtually never use it anymore. It's unusable for 75% of the commands I try, it's just faster to dial directly on my phone.

Same as you, I press the button and it spins as if waiting for me to speak and then it seems to "time out", and I have to start over.

That is one of the more disappointing aspects of my car, love everything else about it, but for such a techy car you would think the voice recognition would be much much better than it is.

Reactions: Sorabh
I wonder if it is a recognition problem or a processing problem. When you say the icon just spins, that indicates to me that it can be a processing problem which is not done in the car. What is the signal strength of your cellular connection when that occurs? Have you noticed that if you are in an area where there is really poor or no connection that the voice command may not work well? The confusing part is you say there is not trouble streaming maps which I would also expect to be a problem if it is a connection issue.

Oh but to answer your question, my MX has worked perfectly for 3 years now. I can't remember it failing unless I was out in Yellowstone somewhere.

My P85D works most of the time but when it doesn’t, I reboot the speedo dashboard and it works after that.
Same. I was trying to demo it for people the other day who had never been in one and of course this is when it chooses to act up and make me look stupid. Not a good look for Tesla. Later on I rebooted both displays and it seemed to start working again.

If it is spinning, I believe that it is a connectivity issue. From what I've seen and heard, the voice recognition is generally done online. When you push the request button, a connection to the server is made before it responds with the beep, at which point it then listens and sends the audio to the server to be decoded with a response.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
If it is spinning, I believe that it is a connectivity issue. From what I've seen and heard, the voice recognition is generally done online. When you push the request button, a connection to the server is made before it responds with the beep, at which point it then listens and sends the audio to the server to be decoded with a response.
yup, precisely correct.... just like some other devices like Amazon Alexa.

I've found voice to actually be more reliable on v9 than it was on v8.

This is perhaps the only good thing about v9.

But as always, pre-check a voice command when nobody is looking to make sure it's working before demo'ing the feature and finding out then that something isn't quite right and makes you look silly :confused:

After the last two updates the voice command system in my 2018 P100D has gotten worse. Most of the time when I push the button, the icon that appears just spins around for a while and then fails, it frequently never gets to the prompt beep. The voice command system has always been hit or miss for me, but now its mostly miss. Is it an MCU 1 issue or connectivity ? I have no problems with music streaming of maps.
Mine became way better with 2019.8.5 (was on 50 before).