Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone ever "camped" at the Mt Shasta Supercharger parking lot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My girlfriend and I will be road-tripping from Portland to LAX in a few weeks and we are considering sleeping in the back of our Model 3 at the Mt. Shasta Supercharger parking lot for a quick 4-5 hr sleep.

There are many businesses and a large parking lot nearby, and we have both slept in the back of the car before. Just wondering if anyone has done this before and if there are any safety concerns related to this plan. Thanks!

I did an overnight drive from Dallas to Orlando.

To say there were some sketchy moments during supercharging in remote areas on that path would be an understatement. Birmingham, Louisiana, and Florida panhandle had some desolate, isolated areas. We were circled 3 times in those parking lots and I had to be ready to jump out and unplug ASAP.

I am planning another road trip here soon and concerned as many go through the same areas at night. I wish Tesla had an emergency release or something from the Supercharger for things like that.

With that being said, general consensus is Supercharging is safe and I am unsure if there are any documented crimes happening at them.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck

To say there were some sketchy moments during supercharging in remote areas on that path would be an understatement. Birmingham, Louisiana, and Florida panhandle had some desolate, isolated areas. We were circled 3 times in those parking lots and I had to be ready to jump out and unplug ASAP.

I am planning another road trip here soon and concerned as many go through the same areas at night. I wish Tesla had an emergency release or something from the Supercharger for things like that.

With that being said, general consensus is Supercharging is safe and I am unsure if there are any documented crimes happening at them.

You were circled? By what?

I have only heard of one, in Arizona if I recall correctly. Person took the car and wrecked it within a couple of blocks. On drugs or something. And that was a few years ago.

I have slept in the Supercharger parking lot several times. Of course, it used to be easier before they charged for idle time--not to worry, no other Teslas in an eight stall SC.

Emergency release? Imagine how that would work. The same people who walk a couple miles while shopping inside their Costco but won’t walk an additional 30 feet to put their shopping cart in the stall would probably routinely “emergency release.”

I wish Tesla had an emergency release or something from the Supercharger for things like that.

The 3 does have the emergency release in the trunk you could get to by lowering the rear seat. Not sure if pulling the manual release would still let you drive off without manually pulling out the charge cable (and would probably damage the charge port doing so).

The 3 does have the emergency release in the trunk you could get to by lowering the rear seat. Not sure if pulling the manual release would still let you drive off without manually pulling out the charge cable (and would probably damage the charge port doing so).

I don't think it would. I had to use the manual release once at home. You have to pull the manual release while pulling out the charging cable -- it doesn't eject it with any force at all. I don't even know if the car would let you drive off if you just pulled the manual release, as it only unlocks the cable.

I don't think it would. I had to use the manual release once at home. You have to pull the manual release while pulling out the charging cable -- it doesn't eject it with any force at all. I don't even know if the car would let you drive off if you just pulled the manual release, as it only unlocks the cable.
I suppose if you felt seriously in danger you could unlock hose from inside and try to drive off with hose attached, but I doubt the car would let you do this. (Yes, I am one of those idiots that went inside the store to buy crap while ICE car was gassing up and took off with hose attached. Realized it in about ten feet and was pretty embarrassed, though the attendant said it happens at least once a month!)

Emergency release? Imagine how that would work. The same people who walk a couple miles while shopping inside their Costco but won’t walk an additional 30 feet to put their shopping cart in the stall would probably routinely “emergency release.”

Same people who leave cables in middle to be driven over at free charging lots. I'm sure they are rated for some abuse but do you want to chance ruining your free source of electricity?! I move those cables when I see it.

Reactions: patrick80132
Staying in a charger spot for longer than you need to, even if they are empty, really isn't great etiquette.

Since it looks as if the Mt Shasta Supercharger is located at a Best Western, maybe just pull to another space at the hotel. Otherwise I would have suggested a hotel or Walmart parking lot (they generally invite campers to stay overnight, and they monitor parking lots often)

Or, of course, get a room and have a nice shower!

Reactions: Dana1 and mswlogo