TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anyone ever had a seat replaced?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Gizmotoy, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I did some searching and didn't come up with anything. Had the S in for service yesterday, and one of the issues that's been nagging me was something squeaking/creaking inside the seat. I could feel it in the upper part of my back, in addition to the sound it was making. Surprisingly annoying.

Service noted the issue and determined the problem was internal to one of the seat mechanisms, and that they'd have to swap out the whole seat :scared:. Seats are things that are usually installed even before the doors to reduce the risk of damage. After the service center informed me they've never replaced a seat before, I have to say I'm a little worried how it's going to turn out. The part's going to take 3-4 weeks to arrive.

Has anyone else had to have a seat swapped? How did it turn out?

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

someone else has a drivers seat replaced due to a loose track mount. (roller or bearing failure). I believe it was in the mechanical issues section.

3. Blurry_Eyed

Blurry_Eyed MS Sig #267, MX Sig # 761

I had my drivers seat replaced due to it having a mind of it's own (it would move occasionally during driving!). Swap went perfect, seat is fixed and you would never know the seat was swapped out.

4. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Not in the Model S. But did in my friends Honda Civic in high school. I remember it being quite uneventful, and quite easy. But that was quite some time ago.

5. Joel

Joel Active Member

I had my seat swapped (driver seat) with the same problems; it would occasionally lock or move (very, very small movements) while driving, etc.

The swap went well. No problems.

6. LittoDevil

LittoDevil Member

If it makes you feel any better I wouldn't worry much about it. I own an auto body as well as an auto mechanic shop, these seats are not huge in comparison to come vehicles I've worked with. Sure the doors are put on after the seats in the factory but it doesn't mean you can't take the seat out or reinstall it carefully without hitting anything as the seat is going in or out of the vehicle. :)

Larry

7. moviemaker2000

Had both front seats replaced to the newer heated textile seats. They were installed without a problem at the SC.

8. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Sounds like I don't have anything to worry about. Thanks, guys!

9. Joe

Joe Member

Had all my seats replaced - the car was delivered with the wrong color seats :)

Was done at the Queens SC - no issues.

10. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

That's a big "Ooops," right there! I'm surprised that was able to make it past inspection.

11. ahimberg

ahimberg Member

How much was that, awhile ago I inquired about doing that and they said 5000$ installed.

12. pimp-boy

pimp-boy Member

Hi Gizmotoy, I have a squeeky seat too, but it seems more toward the right butt portion. When I turn right, it makes a squeeky noise like rubber is rubbing. Is that the same noise/creak? Otherwise, I'll schedule an appointment to get it replaced too. Also my headlights don't always turn off when i exit the garage.

13. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

No, mine was definitely in the upper part of the seat back, just below my shoulder. I can actually feel something rubbing back there. Very unusual.

Still, it seems like they're sensitive to this kind of issue, so if it bothers you certainly take it in to see what they can do.

14. youlikeadajuice

Also curious what the cost was for this...