Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone ever had issues with referral links working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So last week I placed an order using a referral link, clicked model 3 custom order with the tag that says "1000 free supercharger miles" and then on the page it had a green checkmark confirming the order was a referral. Anyway, after the order processed it didn't show anything on my account and I checked with the person whos link I used and they said nothing. So I spoke to the Tesla rep the next day who said it didn't show as a referral order on their system and they didn't have the power to do anything and would raise it to someone else. Anyway, a week later they've basically said there's nothing they can do and if I want to try again I'd have to forfeit my deposit and reorder which clearly isn't worth it.

Has anyone else run into this? It's not a big deal but I guess this might just be the start of the Tesla customer service experience.

I've asked this question last week as my Tesla account shows nothing despite me using a referral link. The miles don't appear in your 'loot box' until your car is delivered and the person you linked with will get theirs soon after... I'll let you know next Friday :cool:

I've asked this question last week as my Tesla account shows nothing despite me using a referral link. The miles don't appear in your 'loot box' until your car is delivered and the person you linked with will get theirs soon after... I'll let you know next Friday :cool:
The person who referred you should get to see a pending 'Friends ordered' though. For the referring account, it should be on the main website under Tesla Referral Program and iirc on the app lootbox (not for additional drivers) - I'm not 100% sure if this info shows before the referring account holders first car is delivered though.

The person who referred you should get to see a pending 'Friends ordered' though. For the referring account, it should be on the main website under Tesla Referral Program and iirc on the app lootbox (not for additional drivers) - I'm not 100% sure if this info shows before the referring account holders first car is delivered though.
I think it can vary, but in my case when someone used my referral link I could see their name within 5 minutes of them placing the order. They've yet to take delivery though so still waiting on my miles!

Get back to them and ask again that they register the referral link. It has been done before, so worth a few more attempts.

Yeah, I've tried 3 times with the Tesla rep that's dealing with my order, says it can't be done. Not sure who else I can raise this to?

Yeah the person that referred me said it hadn't gone to the pending area and the tesla rep himself said it hadn't gone through as a referral order.

If you haven't taken delivery you should be able to get the referral added retrospectively - many on this forum have. Quite often this is because they didn't realise the referral is actually a link rather than a code to input at the time of order.
Worth speaking to someone else at Tesla!
I don't know of anybody who has been successful after delivery.

Hopefully this is not stale information

Wiki - UK 2021 Orders and Pending Deliveries
I might try giving that as go but the tesla rep dealing with my order (north of Edinburgh) has said it's a flat no and they have no way of adding a referral after the order.

I won't be taking delivery until late June and there is a thread on the M-Y forum that emailing [email protected] might work, I'll give that a go but as it's for the US perhaps it won't work. I want my 1000 miles!

but the tesla rep dealing with my order (north of Edinburgh) has said it's a flat no and they have no way of adding a referral after the order.

Which is incorrect as myself, and others have had referral codes added to our account after order for various reasons - more than just forgetting to add at point of order. Ours was added in front of us and seemed to be a matter of a few clicks.

It may not be company policy, but certainly a possibility when someone is trying to do the right thing. Convincing someone of the latter is probably the hardest part.

I might try giving that as go but the tesla rep dealing with my order (north of Edinburgh) has said it's a flat no and they have no way of adding a referral after the order.

I won't be taking delivery until late June and there is a thread on the M-Y forum that emailing [email protected] might work, I'll give that a go but as it's for the US perhaps it won't work. I want my 1000 miles!
Try this address [email protected] I believe that goes to Amsterdam.

Reactions: imstitch
So here's an update, after contacting Tesla directly and not through one of the reps I received an email this morning from [email protected] saying they had successfully added the referral to my account which is great news. There doesn't appear to be anything different on my account so I'm not sure how to confirm it on my end. I might shot a message over to the referrer and see if it's hit their account.

Reactions: DigbyChicken