Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone ever store firearms in the frunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
One of the things I am paranoid about after a good shoot at the range is the after dinner.

Normally your gear is stored in a trunk and covered up.

Most likely no one would see anything through my tinted X windows but the frunk is obviously opaque so even less clues on valuable content.

My concern would be then how easy it is to force a frunk open versus a trunk.

Discretion is always the best defense but it's good to have knowledge.

Thanks

Reactions: Vern Padgett
I picked up: Amazon.com: First Alert 5200DF Portable Handgun or Pistol Safe: Home Improvement

...which has a cable to secure it to anything you might have in the trunk. In the Model S, there's a footwell for the rear-facing seats. Since I don't have those, we have a little sub-trunk (which my wife and I call the "basement"), and I keep the safe in there at all times so I have some sort of secure storage. Won't stop a determined thief, certainly, but it will slow him down quite a bit.

My concern would be then how easy it is to force a frunk open versus a trunk.

I don't know about ease of forcing (forcing an entry to the trunk through a window sounds easier), but the problem with the frunk is that it can be opened from the outside without forcing it at all (it will sound the alarm still, though).

There is an emergency services mechanism for this. So I would not keep anything in the frunk for longer periods of time... definitely not guns!

Tesla front trunks can open without a key but it’s an important safety feature – not a ‘flaw’

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing
I sincerely thank everyone for their responses thus far. I did not know the frunk could be easily opened without keys/verified owner of the Tesla.

I am glad I asked and did not make any assumptions on the protection that a frunk affords from a brute force attack.

Nothing of value goes into the frunk.

Very few people know about the emergency release, it seems. Personally I use the frunk for short-term transport only. I used to house the CHAdeMO adapter there, but stopped after learning of this.

Off-topic note about the frunk: I have started using it a bit more with the Model X compared to the Model S, where I rarely used it. If the third-row up trunk doesn't quite fit the groceries in the Model X, putting that extra bag or two in the frunk seems easier than folding seats and watching your bags roll into the rest of the car... :) But I only use it for when I'm not going to stop and be away from the car or if the stuff going into the frunk is of very low value... Actually, for everyday stuff, the 6-seater trunk is very nice because it is so compact. In the Model S everything would roll around freely and make a mess in the trunk. Model X 6-seater keeps stuff more organized if it is only a few items...

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo and MXWing
you should probably check local laws on if the guns are considered in the "same space" because it's not a separate trunk like a traditional car...

i know this could be an issue for transporting guns and ammo in separate places in the vehicle. Also, if you plan on drinking alcohol they are usually supposed to be kept in a separate compartment to the driver...

feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but i can only carry a gun in the glove compartment because i am a CCW holder, but if i'm drinking i have to put the gun in the frunk because it cannot be accessed without having to leave the vehicle.

Last edited:
you should probably check local laws on if the guns are considered in the "same space" because it's not a separate trunk like a traditional car...

i know this could be an issue for transporting guns and ammo in separate places in the vehicle. Also, if you plan on drinking alcohol they are usually supposed to be kept in a separate compartment to the driver...

feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but i can only car a gun in the glove compartment because i am a CCW holder, but if i'm drinking i have to put the gun in the frunk because it cannot be accessed without having to leave the vehicle.
maybe what you've posted is applicable in ohio, however we all do not live in ohio. the OP is in CA and while I cannot quote the applicable laws there I can be sure that they are not the same as where you are.

Where I am in FLA. there is no such restrictions on carrying a firearm in the car, in fact a concealed weapons license isn't necessary to have a gun in your car. as a cwfl holder I am permitted to drive while carrying the weapon on my person, however I usually keep it in the center.

where the law here becomes grey is when alcohol consumption is involved.
I do have a CWFL and while DUI laws always apply there is no law on the books regarding carrying while intoxicated. that said if you wind up needing to shoot a person and you do it while you've been consuming intoxicants you will be in a very poor position justifying your using the weapon.

back to the original question regarding the frunk. around here where the Tesla is not as common as it is in CA most of the bad guys have no clue that there is a frunk, let alone knowing how to access it. storing the weapon up there could be a short term solution depending on how secure the area the car is parked in. the suggestions for a car safe in the rear is probably the best solution.

for an overview of the laws regarding carrying a firearm in all 50 states + territories I use this site.
Handgunlaw.us

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: boaterva

feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but i can only carry a gun in the glove compartment because i am a CCW holder, but if i'm drinking i have to put the gun in the frunk because it cannot be accessed without having to leave the vehicle.

Glad everyone here has the sense to check local gun laws. There is a big difference on what is allowed proximity wise to you for loaded vs unloaded weapons. I have a CCW permit so I just keep my handgun on my person at all times, no point to have it in the glovebox. It goes in a locking container under the seat if I have to go into a Post Office or something.

Can't have 1 drop of alcohol as condition of permit so I have to give up outside drinking as a condition of carry pretty much.

maybe what you've posted is applicable in ohio, however we all do not live in ohio. the OP is in CA and while I cannot quote the applicable laws there I can be sure that they are not the same as where you are.

Where I am in FLA. there is no such restrictions on carrying a firearm in the car, in fact a concealed weapons license isn't necessary to have a gun in your car. as a cwfl holder I am permitted to drive while carrying the weapon on my person, however I usually keep it in the center.

where the law here becomes grey is when alcohol consumption is involved.
I do have a CWFL and while DUI laws always apply there is no law on the books regarding carrying while intoxicated. that said if you wind up needing to shoot a person and you do it while you've been consuming intoxicants you will be in a very poor position justifying your using the weapon.

back to the original question regarding the frunk. around here where the Tesla is not as common as it is in CA most of the bad guys have no clue that there is a frunk, let alone knowing how to access it. storing the weapon up there could be a short term solution depending on how secure the area the car is parked in. the suggestions for a car safe in the rear is probably the best solution.

for an overview of the laws regarding carrying a firearm in all 50 states + territories I use this site.
Handgunlaw.us

I can't chance the frunk anymore no matter how remote the odds are of unauthorized entry. Loaded handguns always in a gunvault cabled to a seat if not on my person. Rifles unloaded and stored in trunk well whenever possible or covered up some other way.

Reactions: Peteybabes
the weight penalty would be huge. if someone needs an armored vehicle a tesla would be a poor choice.

100D might not be so bad but I bet they could make one off batteries for defense purposes. If you could drive at high speeds with FWD and trunk partially open, you would have 270 degree firing arcs in a very fast and maneuverable AWD vehicle.

Just need to solve what happens if a tire goes flat. Hard to disable the engine by firing into the frunk. :D

In Illinois, firearms just have to be in a "container" that is enclosed, so glovebox is fine or in my case, the center console when covered. Quick access is key.
I also thought about the frunk for transport to the range for example, but the emergency release from outside the vehicle makes that a no go. But the recessed trunk well is a good spot for rifles and ammo.