TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
  1. TMC is currently READ ONLY.
    Click here for more info.

Anyone excited

Discussion in 'Australia' started by nuckles, May 16, 2018.

1. Vostok

Vostok Active Member

I’ve never really grokked the Performance versions. You pay a huge premium for a tiny incremental improvement in acceleration which, for almost every normal driving scenario, is largely pointless. EVs accelerate plenty good enough in their non-P form. If “P” floats your boat then whatever, but I was never tempted.

2. Vostok

Vostok Active Member

While I wouldn’t complain if LCT was dropped on BEVs, I’m not really in favour of it if it means the government reduces social expenditure in other areas as a result and hence the poor subsidise the rich or at least relatively well off. In my book if one can afford a $75k car, one is doing much better than average.

What I would like to see is ICEs getting taxed for all the social costs of the pollution they generate.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  3. Vostok

Vostok Active Member

Model 3 LR+AWD should just squeak under. But even if it doesn’t, it might only trigger a hundred bucks in LCT.

4. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

• Informative x 1
  5. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

As a Model S owner I'm glad the M3 won't be too cheap. I originally reserved one, but now I like my Model S and I reckon it would be
    That's a useful calculator.
    I might just keep my S.
    I think Tesla have the price set right. There are 10X more people who can pay $80K than can pay $150K for a car. Even at $80K it will be a long time before the factory runs out of demand.

6. Jays200

Jays200 Member

You can't handle the "P".

Well I can't anyway. Had a MS P100D loaner the other week and I just can't do it over and over again. No jet fighter pilot I'm afraid. Was awesome from 60-80 though. That could be useful.

7. Vostok

Vostok Active Member

I don’t see how that invalidates my point. LCT is levied in proportion to the amount over the threshold. It’s not like you go from a $75k car to a $76k car and BAM! you’re suddenly up for $5k in LCT. So if you’re only a little bit over the threshold, the LCT might only be a few cups of coffee or one cafe lunch. Not a big deal.

8. Vostok

Vostok Active Member

Ha ha. You’re right, I can’t handle the “P” :D

9. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Fair Dinkum Tesla

Well said, I agree 100%

• Like x 1
  10. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

Depends entirely on the other options selected.

11. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Fair Dinkum Tesla

Any options that assist the community such as safety, enviroment and such could certainly be removed from a tax burden, performance and bling should wear the taxes. In saying that safety should never be an option on any vehicle.

12. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

One might argue that the fuel levy is that tax, however it certainly isn't enough to cover all negative externalities.
    For example, I remember all the delays to the Lane Cove Tunnel caused by people not wanting the exhaust stacks near their property, whic required a massive re-work at great cost. If everyone drove EVs there'd be no need to ventilate tunnels at all. The motion of the traffic would be enough to keep the O2 levels normal, and there'd be no toxic gases released in the tunnel (except the occasional puff of methane).

• Like x 1
  13. Vostok

Vostok Active Member

Yep - how much simpler (and less controversial) would road tunnels be if they did not require mechanical ventilation - as well as being far more pleasant to drive through. Hopefully I will still be alive when Australia builds its first road tunnel that is “Zero emission vehicles only”.

• Like x 2
  14. Chooflaki

Chooflaki Member

Does anyone know if the standard battery pack Tesla 3 will be avaliable with all wheel drive? That configuration tempts me. With Enhanced Auto Pilot, premium options and paint it looks like around A$77,000 on current pricing estimations.

15. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I don’t think it’s known yet, but it will be by the time it reaches Australia.

16. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

Moderators note.
    Edited title to correct grammar.
    Sorry it was bugging me. ‍♀️

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 1