TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anyone Experienced This Service Message

Discussion in 'Model S' started by fasteddie7, Jun 22, 2019.

1. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

My 2016.5 75D 66k miles has this bizarre issue that no one seems to know what it's caused by. Once every few days sometimes about a week a car needs service message pops up for less than a second followed by a short alert tone. The service center has checked the logs and saw where the message popped up but they can't pinpoint what's actually causing it. The message only pops up for literally less than a second and it's not a company by any odd behavior. anyone have any experience with this and what the cause was?

2. madtorque

madtorque Member

Sounds like a bad ground connection somewhere.

• Informative x 1
  3. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

That's what the service center thinks but they can't find it. I'm just concerned the car is just going to stop someday, or is that not how that works

4. Droschke

Droschke Active Member

Did the SC rule out this ground connection ?

5. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

They just said they checked it over, I did not give me specifics.

6. ruby110

ruby110 Member

I had a similar sounding problem. Owings Mills, MD service center found and fixed a bad ground. Maybe your service center could contact them.

• Informative x 1
  7. mat300z

mat300z Member

my 2cents on this is that your 12V battery is about to go bad. You will get a message soon that says replace it. My car would say something about car may die unexpectedly about 1 second when you start it up then it goes away. Sure enough 2 months later the 12V battery needs replacement came up on the screen. I was already suspecting that was the issue.
    tesla battery service.jpeg

• Informative x 1
  8. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

They said they checked the battery and it was fine, Unless they missed something. They spent some time trying to track it down, but since I’m out of warranty, there’s a labor charge and it may take days to uncover, so to reduce costs I’m to wait for it to op up more frequently.

9. mat300z

mat300z Member

I still think its the battery. My car did exactly what yours is doing. I give you less than a few months till the battery warning comes on. Either way you will be fine. The warning will come and go with no harm to the car. Then the battery warning will come on when its time. Then you just replace the battery. Minimal cost of parts and free labor if you do it yourself. Good luck

• Informative x 1