Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone familiar with MY 7 seater setup?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Removing the third row is something that I would envision, if the additional seating is not need.
- The location could be use instead for providing extra storage or even store a spare tire.
- Also the second row has sliding rails and the back of the seat can be inclined to a desired position.
- The sliding rails allow also increasing the trunk size if the rear passengers don't need too much leg room.

I would recommend however to keep the seatbelts installed because the bolts need to be torque to a specific value.

This might be a common modification with the new tax credit situation.
I've only had a single passenger in the 3rd row of my 7 seater once since delivery in 03/21, but would choose the upgrade again just for the option to legally transport people in my trunk.

With the shady tax credit situation I'd think more people will default to the 7 seater option.

I have the 7, it lays perfectly flat with trunk lid and 2nd row seats flat.

If you removed the 3rd row, you'd be losing the perfectly engineered flat surface that everything folds down to, and would need to try to make something that matches the carpeting and strong enough to be weight bearing.

With a 5 seater, the space provides just enough storage for something like a laptop bag.

I'm not sure what you'd be trying to gain by removing it

If I were Tesla I would make the 7 seat standard across the line. Including the new SR and the P model where it hasn't been an option. Lowering prices seems like a much more expensive way to go for Tesla.
I agree but I’m thinking they prefer to just charge customers for the privilege. Reduces the usefulness of the tax credit unfortunately.

If you removed the 3rd row, you'd be losing the perfectly engineered flat surface that everything folds down to, and would need to try to make something that matches the carpeting and strong enough to be weight bearing.

With a 5 seater, the space provides just enough storage for something like a laptop bag.

Didn’t realize it wasn’t carpeted under there. Thanks for the insight.

This ☝.

7 Seater 3rd Row folded:
20211002_132711.jpg
5 Seater behind 2nd Row No Cover:
20211002_132008.jpg

Agree, with those that already stated there’s no real advantage of removing the 3rd row. We haven’t used the 3rd row much since we got the Y, but it’s not a hinderance to space to have. Fold it down when you don't need it and it’s pretty much the same space as a 5 seater. You lose a small underfloor storage area, that’s it with the 3rd row. Rather spend $3k on a third row then put it towards EAP or FSD.

Agree, with those that already stated there’s no real advantage of removing the 3rd row. We haven’t used the 3rd row much since we got the Y, but it’s not a hinderance to space to have. Fold it down when you don't need it and it’s pretty much the same space as a 5 seater. You lose a small underfloor storage area, that’s it with the 3rd row. Rather spend $3k on a third row then put it towards EAP or FSD.
Heck, I don't think we have used the back seats more than once in our MYP, but I still would have gotten the 7 seater if it was offered for the extra flexibility it offers.

Keith

PS: Yes, I realize that I am acting just like the guy that has never used a supercharger that would never by a CCS car because he doesn't want to deal with the hassle of the CCS charging network :D