Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone filed taxes for the $7500 tax credit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talked to someone at TurboTax and they said anyone filing with a draft form is absolutely playing with fire. He suggested I remove the EV Tax credit form from my return, submit it and wait for that refund. Once I get my refund and the form is officially available, do an amendment and add the 8936 form, submitting again for that refund. The amendment process is all built-in apparently. Considering how much money I'm waiting on for my base return, I'll likely go this route.

In the same boat. This is getting ridiculous. Pretty sure HR block is free for me too (if I agree to give capital one my return info...).

*shrug*

Does anyone know if I can move *this* years taxes to HR from TT without re-entering everything? Does HR block import from wealthfront and robinhood? (The two most obnoxious to manually enter...)

I was told by TT and by H&R Block that you can not transfer you current year in the works tax return from TT ago H&R. I spent more Time trying to figure out how to than it would have taken to re-enter. :-/. Re-entering it all now tho :)

...re-entering everything?

H&R Block only allows imports from LAST YEAR files including Turbo Tax files but not current year files from any brand H&R Block or Tubo Tax.

It helps a little bit so you don't have to re-enter your name, address, social security, last year AGI, any other carry-over...

...wealthfront and robinhood?...

Robinhood is listed for import but not Wealthfront.

It happens with various tax forms every year. Most people don't notice or care unless it is in a case such as this where a large refund is expected. I'm usually ready to file in early February every year but end up having to wait for a form or two before I can file...usually in mid-March.

It's the first time I've had to wait beyond the wait for 1099s. Considering the tax code was changed quite recently and affected these related credits - it doesn't surprise me too much for it be delayed [as much as I dislike it].

...the tax code was changed quite recently and affected these related credits...

Yes other codes have been changed but whatever laws and amounts on the form 8936 have not been changed.

The old form makes it more convenient to file 2 plug-in car credits at a time.

The upcoming approved form makes it harder to claim credit for 2 (actually, the form promises to be impossible to e-file for 2 at a time.)

Thus, I agree with @ItsNotAboutTheMoney's theory that it's a collaboration between public government and private software companies.

I'll go back and check but I used TT about 3 weeks ago and it had the 8936 in it and when filled out showed the $7,500 in the refund box. Since I haven't e-filed it yet, I'll check the dates on it but the form was there.

EDIT: went to TT form and you have to fill out the worksheet for the 8936 form. On the worksheet where it asks the year of the vehicle it has a number of boxes from 2011 - 2018 - you have to check the year of your car. Under date purchased on the worksheet, line 5 , it asks date purchased and in parens says 2 wheeled vehicles must be in 2016.

Seems like everything is already there for filing.

Last edited:
Download H&R Block software, re-entered everything and taxes are efiled and accepted back the IRS and awaiting State to accept.

So long TurboTax.....

Ps @Impala1ss the form is present in TT and will be completed during entry you just will NOT be able to file (efile or print) until 3-1-18 to now possibly 3-15-18. The form being presented vs being able to file are two totally different things.