Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone filed taxes for the $7500 tax credit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8911 is also in the step-by-step. But if it runs you through AMT (if you have significant AMT 'due'), that will probably kill the 8911. The 8936 seems to be exempt (I'm not wasting my time to be an expert on this since I have exactly one return to file :D ). The 8911 seems to be a credit that is 'eatable' by the AMT. Boo.

If you read the 8911 form itself and the worksheet, it will tell you that you have AMT Minimum Tax and are therefore screwed from the $1000 or whatever the 8911 'gave' you.

(And, of course, IANATA)

I used express1040 to file this year. It let me file for two vehicles and my return was accepted on February 6th. Just an FYI if anyone wants to try an alternative. It's as good as or better than TT... at least it was for me. It was also free even though I used 8936.

HR Block is good to go with the federal credit. The $5000 credit from Colorado will require you to mail a bunch of stuff in though. Registration, bill of sale, and the tax form DR 0617. I did the paper return for Colorado last year and got my refund in about 3 weeks so it's not too bad.

HR Block is good to go with the federal credit. The $5000 credit from Colorado will require you to mail a bunch of stuff in though. Registration, bill of sale, and the tax form DR 0617. I did the paper return for Colorado last year and got my refund in about 3 weeks so it's not too bad.
You can also just upload them to the state of Colorado instead of mailing them in.

Reactions: dbldwn02
It's easy, just go to Colorado Revenue Online, click the Submit an E-Filer Attachment option under Additional Services, put in your info and attachments.

HR Block (the software I already bought) won't let me e-file for state this year. So I have to mail everything in. I know I can "E-file" on Revenue website but I literally have to type EVERYTHING in. Nope! I'll mail in what HR told me to print out. 60 pages for the unlucky person who gets to read through all the W-2s, 1040, and 1099s.

Oh well.

HR Block (the software I already bought) won't let me e-file for state this year. So I have to mail everything in. I know I can "E-file" on Revenue website but I literally have to type EVERYTHING in. Nope! I'll mail in what HR told me to print out. 60 pages for the unlucky person who gets to read through all the W-2s, 1040, and 1099s.

Oh well.

Fwiw, I've been able to claim the alt fuel vehicle rebate in CO each of the last three years. Two years ago I had to mail in my state taxes and that did not seem to slow down my refund.

Reactions: dbldwn02
Fwiw, I've been able to claim the alt fuel vehicle rebate in CO each of the last three years. Two years ago I had to mail in my state taxes and that did not seem to slow down my refund.

Yea, I was able to e-file last year and just had to upload the registration and invoice. Refund came within 2 weeks. Faster than federal with e-file! This year, however, HR Block wouldn't let me e-file. I'm sure it's an HR Block thing not a Colorado thing. HR really sucked this year with their software.

I really wish Tesla would get on the "approved list" all the dealerships talk about and give the credit at the POS. It would really help move more cars here.