Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone filed taxes for the $7500 tax credit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something to keep in mind is that the released PDF form (which does appear to be released for the 2017 tax year) is just that: a human form. Electronic filing does not involve that form (or any form). The process requires the IRS to have configured (and allowed) the information (and exchange of information) that would be placed in that form.

I can't speak as to what H&R Block may be doing differently that TurboTax is unwilling to do at this point.

Something to keep in mind is that the released PDF form (which does appear to be released for the 2017 tax year) is just that: a human form. Electronic filing does not involve that form (or any form). The process requires the IRS to have configured (and allowed) the information (and exchange of information) that would be placed in that form.

I can't speak as to what H&R Block may be doing differently that TurboTax is unwilling to do at this point.

I think the dates from the IRS themselves make it pretty clear. The IRS still shows 3/15 on the link that's been posted multiple times.

I think the dates from the IRS themselves make it pretty clear. The IRS still shows 3/15 on the link that's been posted multiple times.

If you are speaking of the link you have provided, that is for use in the Free File program provided by the IRS (About the Free File Program | Internal Revenue Service). That's not a general availability date for all electronic filing. It also does not apply to paper filing, for which the 2017 version of the 8936 form is already available. (About Form 8936 | Internal Revenue Service).

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Where do we see this date for filing in TT? I only see the a message that the forms are not finalized and once they are, I will be able to file.

I would expect this date to keep climbing as well since the IRS e-file form still says 3-15-18. Switch to H&R Block and you can file today.
image1 (3).jpeg

Have you seen an estimate on this from TurboTax? A search of the software comes up with nothing and a search of their help site returns info from prior years, but no reference to an ETA on 8911.
No I haven't. On the IRS site, the paper (PDF) form is noted as being updated for 2017. TT still shows the 'expired in 2016' language. I'm hoping when we get the other changes from the recent tax bill (March 1? 2? 15? lol...) this will come along since it and the app had to be updated.

When we get the new/final 8936 would be a good time to inquire further, I believe, if it doesn't appear, since this was a completely new deal (8911). 8936 was some minor tweaks, from what I understand.

• Helpful
Reactions: MurrayJimW
I originally posted back on February 15. My tax forms were transmitted through H&R Block around Feb. 5th. Today my refund posted to my account.

After seeing all the comments concerning H&R Block and their ability to use draft IRS forms I inquired about my tax refund. So my accountant is a family member that has taught tax preparers that work for H&R Block. She informed me that IRS usually releases forms through them first (unofficially) in order to ensure the software is working properly. The form offered in the H&R Block software is from the IRS and not something that has been photo shopped.

I originally posted back on February 15. My tax forms were transmitted through H&R Block around Feb. 5th. Today my refund posted to my account.

After seeing all the comments concerning H&R Block and their ability to use draft IRS forms I inquired about my tax refund. So my accountant is a family member that has taught tax preparers that work for H&R Block. She informed me that IRS usually releases forms through them first (unofficially) in order to ensure the software is working properly. The form offered in the H&R Block software is from the IRS and not something that has been photo shopped.
I appreciate your update. Yours, and similar posts, convinced me to switch from TT to H & R Block. As it looks TT may not be out until 3-15-18