TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anyone find the rear trunk lighting to be dim like the S?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by 7racer, Mar 19, 2016.

1. 7racer

7racer Member

There are two lights, one on the lift gate and one on the right hand side in the trunk. Both appear to be stock and kinda dim.

Will the abstract ocean lights fit in the spots? Anyone give it a go?

2. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Yes the stock trunk lighting is anemic and dim.

3. DarrinR

DarrinR Member

Agreed. However there are some after market lights than can be substituted for the original lights and illumination is reportedly much better. I bought the replacement lights on Amazon but haven't installed them yet.

4. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

5. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

See first post.

6. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I see that, but assume there's others in the foot-wells, doors, frunk etc.

7. rickgt

rickgt Enthusiast owner/member

I have used the Abstract Ocean replacement lights on my Model S and they are so much better than the original ones. Easy install. Highly recommend.

8. 7racer

7racer Member

Pete, I live in Dallas and have your lights for my S. If you want me to swing by with the X so you can check it out for your products let me know

9. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Thanks - appreciate that. I might need to take you up on that offer for a few things, eventually....X FobPockets are still very much in a prototype stage, but because I don't have an actual X key, at some point I'll need to test with the real thing.

10. pvogel

pvogel Member

Pete, let me know when you know if your lights work in the X

11. omega731

omega731 Member

Could you please add me to your list of people to contact? I am interested in the Deluxe Signature kefob (black with white writing would be great) but I'll take what you have, the bakers dozen of interior bulbs, and the license plate bulbs. I see that you have a newsletter. Would the newsletter provide me with the above information I spoke of, and when it would be available?

12. omega731

omega731 Member

This was of course directed at pete8314...I don't participate in forums so excuse me.

13. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Yes....we have quite a few people waiting on the bulbs (including some X owners), so I'll shoot out a newsletter when they come in. If you're on Twitter or Facebook, then we post occasional (less significant) updates there too.

14. pvogel

pvogel Member

On a somewhat related note, I was rummaging around in the car last night in the dark -- the trunk lights seem fairly bright, but I'm guessing they are the same as the Model S lights and so the ones from Abstract Ocean are brighter?

Anyway, what I noticed is that I have a center trunk light on the rear hatch and a light on the RIGHT side of the car behind the wheel well illuminating a good chunk of the right side of the trunk, but there is NO light on the left side, in fact, there's a large opening there that I can reach my hand into. Is this intentional? All I can think of is that it's to allow ventilation to the 72A charger that should be back there somewhere?

15. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Interesting that the Model X has only 2 lights in trunk area ... the Model S has 3.
    All should be upgraded to the AO bright lights. I would imagine that Tesla would standardize the lights ... one can only hope!