Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone fund a HUD that works with the M3?

ucla95

Nov 2, 2012
USA
I'm not a techie but from what I've read since we don't have an OBD-II port we can't use these aftermarket HUDs, correct?

edit - find, not fund

Nogasmn

Dec 8, 2018
Rochester
Geotech? Makes an obd2 adapter that is priced reasonably, I have it just haven't installed it. Once I do I was going to get a HUD but now that I have had the car for about a year I'm not sure I need one. People have reported that adapter works.

SD_Engnr

Mar 24, 2016
San Diego
And it's on sale right now for.....

$2,985.00 – $3,515.00

Yeah, not cheap, but it's a Motec device. The display itself is typically $2k. Throw in the development costs, the mount, the CAN bus adapter, and the fact you can basically configure the screen to your heart's desire, it's quite a fair price. The value is there if you're into motorsports. If not, then yes, it's just expensive.

Nogasmn

Dec 8, 2018
Rochester
Yeah, not cheap, but it's a Motec device. The display itself is typically $2k. Throw in the development costs, the mount, the CAN bus adapter, and the fact you can basically configure the screen to your heart's desire, it's quite a fair price. The value is there if you're into motorsports. If not, then yes, it's just expensive.
A lifetime ago I was looking at the motec system for my Eclipse GSX. If I still had the car I would totally do it!

KenC

Sep 4, 2018
Maine
There was a HUD I saw on Kickstarter or Indiegogo a while back, and they had a Model 3 specific device. It might have been Hudway. I remember seeing they had a crazy night vision cam option, using thermal imaging. For those of us in rural areas, with lots of critters at night, it seemed useful, but not $800 useful!

Found it, HUDWAY Drive: The best head-up display for any car

Reactions: Nogasmn

SalisburySam

Aug 11, 2018
Salisbury, North Carolina
The free iOS app called “Speedometer” features a mini-HUD with speed only by reflecting the iPhone screen up to the inside of the windshield. The $5 paid version of the same app adds time, altitude, total and current trip distance or GPS course. Biggest difficulty is placing or mounting the iPhone on the Model 3 dash. Upside: far and away the cheapest alternative I’ve seen.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc

heuristkmystk

Oct 14, 2019
Washington, DC

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC