TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anyone get a 3 and regret not getting the S instead?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Turrbo, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Turrbo

Turrbo Member

I've configured a AWD 3 but I can't help but feel that I much prefer the S. I love the size, space, ride quality, dual display, and the looks of the S much more than the 3. However, I know the 3 is a much better buy in terms of value, range, tech, sound, etc.

Anyone here who got their 3 and wished they got the S instead?

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  2. fr100

fr100 Member

It's best to have both.

• Funny x 7
    • Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  3. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

4. Tiger

Tiger Member

Life is too short to make compromises, especially if you have OCD. If you want an S/X over 3, you should get an S/X. And if you want both, get both, depending on your life priorities. Some people would rather just go hiking into the wild.

• Love x 1
  5. sroh

sroh Member

Agree with fr100. Get one of each if you can.

Same DNA, different personalities. We have a Model 3 and are awaiting a second one. The newer battery tech, range and cost all drove (pardon the pun) us to the 3. If the S75D had a similar range as the 3, we would pony up the extra cash. But we feel the 3 fits our needs better.

I agree with you about the size, ride, display and looks of the S. And pretty soon, Model 3s are going to be as commonplace as BMW 3 series. The S will always be a high class ride.

6. Tam

Tam Active Member

It's up to your budget: base prices at $35,000 for Model 3 vs $77,000 for Model S.

7. systemBuilder

systemBuilder Member

4 reasons to prefer the Model 3.
    1. It's easier to park and not as wide, lots of people do not want a huge car
    2. Save about $25,000
    3. Model S has some design flaws, (a) incredibly heavy despite all-aluminum construction, (b) power limits when driven hard, the battery cooling system and overall design integration are just not as good as the model 3 as tesla was learning car design, (c) the model S has much worse mileage per electron.
    4. Many people have said the driving position especially for the right leg/knee is far, far better in the Model 3.

8. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

Get SEX ... helps in more ways than one.

Jokes apart, this is another inane and pointless q

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  9. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

I love the way the S looks. Especially the facelift version.
    However after a few drives I found it was just too big.
    Model 3 has enough Tesla DNA but all the advantages of being a smaller car.
    Owning one hasn’t changed that viewpoint.

10. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

100% agree ..everyone’s situation /experience is different ...with that said OP I think u need a X P100D ;)

11. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I regret not having $103k to be able to get a Model S with 300+ miles of range and EAP. :(

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  12. RayK

RayK Member

No, no regrets. A week before my 3 arrived I found out that a neighbor down the street had recently bought an S. So I'm glad that I don't look like a copycat.

13. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

I want everything. Can’t afford anything. I could if I got some EBT and govt assistance.

14. trm2

trm2 Member

It sounds like you might.

• Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
  15. MacGreiner

There are a few reasons left, but not many good ones to go for a lower optioned S over a fully optioned P3. I have both an S and a 3 and unless Tesla do a mythical refresh on the S, my next Tesla will be another 3.

16. rob968

rob968 Member

I can empathize with your situation. I’m on the fence between ordering a standard dual motor 3 or a 3-5 year old CPO S for around the same money. I like the looks and overall presence of the S, plus the rear facing seats would be a blast for my young kids. The 3 has newer tech and a sportier feel, along with a far easier purchase process of buying new vs hunting for used.

17. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

I've had both. I liked the hatchback on the S and its extra cargo room, but the fact that literally everything else on the 3 is better way outweighs those. It's just such a better designed car. You can really tell the lessons they learned, and how many things they did better. I like to say that the 3 is 80-90% the vehicle that the S is, for 50% the price. No joke.

Note, of course, some things are subjective. I found the S too large (as some others have said above), but some people love huge cars. I also vastly prefer the interior design of the 3 and its simplicity. Drive both and see what you like better.

• Like x 2
  18. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

I had a loaner S for several days, and it only confirmed for me that I made the right choice by waiting for the 3. The smoother ride, quieter cabin, and 2nd screen on the S are nice though.
    If cost was no barrier I would have gotten a 100D X despite my opinion of it being the least attractive looking.

They are all the right answer, what question are you asking?

19. mylake

mylake Member

I have both... and love both. It is very subjective. A bigger car does not bother me and I love all the extra space of the S. The 3s seats are more comfortable. The S is faster but the 3 is more nimble. Door handles and entry (fob) are so much better on the S but the 3s center console (arm rest) is nicer. Easy to say what I like but it comes down to what you want. Sounds like you really want the S but you can't go wrong either way.

20. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Supporting Member

+1

Selling our S to add a second 3