Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone get a 3 and regret not getting the S instead?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Owned both and the only regret I have is that I did not wait for the Model 3 Performance. The drive of the 3 is so different from the S, so unless you need the extra room, you should be fine. And if you need the room, why not an X?

I have the S since Sept. 2017 and love it. My prior car is the (small) Lexus SC430 (drove for 14 years and kept it for backup). And I wanted a larger car so the S was perfect. When my wife's Mercedes GLC goes off lease next summer our plan is to replace it with a 3. Hoping to get a more entry level one since we do not need the range since will probably use the S for trips. Really love all electric and Tesla is the best for now.

I’m an Economist so I live and breathe CBA, CEA, and marginal utility analysis.

The S is absolutely better but the 3 crushes the S relatively. Anyone has corner cases for both but I am speaking in generalities.

Not much more has to be said other than

1 - Model 3 antiselling
2 - Model 3 range manipulation to the downside
3 - Model 3 showroom cars being P+. This is the only one they can sell to get good margin ratios on par with the S and X.

Count on the S getting something awesome in the near future like HUD and augmented reality.

Currently the S is an embarrassing value next to the 3. S fans will disagree but I just tell it how it is. The 3 is essentially too good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pkmmte
Before I had 3 the S was my dream car. It's not in my price range but it was on a pedestal for me. Was given one as a loaner and was very surprised to find out how much I disliked it. It is just too big for me. It accelerates like a rocket and is crazy fast but in just general driving it just has that big leisurely car feel. It's like driving your Grandpas Cadillac, it's been 20 years since I have driven a car that big. I could not wait to get back in my 3.

Reactions: Pkmmte and Bobsil
Appreciate the OP's question and I guess it must apply to those who want a Tesla and can't wait for a 3. But otherwise they really are just different classes. My S was replacing an SUV - the 3 just doesn't carry enough and was never a contender. Besides, I like the way the S looks and rides.

We love our S but it is huge, we don't need the size. We did toy with a used S, but it is just a big car and we like our smaller vehicles. I think we could end up with a Tesla truck in the future.

I really want the 3 because of the size but am in the middle of a house construction right now and don't know if I can spring for the P3D at the moment. Issue is also trying to capture the tax credit in full.