Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone get an alignment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
Since day 1, my car has always pulled fairly hard to the right on even roads. Like others, I've often gotten the low pressure light, but the tires are always in range. It was pulling pretty heavy today (and cold as well), so I stopped at a gas station and checked the pressures. The 2 driver-side tires were 42 and the passengers were 41 -- not enough to cause a low pressure light or pulling to the degree I've seen.

I still need to get my car inspected, so I'd planned to take it to get that done tomorrow. I figured I might try for an alignment at the same time. Anyone else get an alignment yet? I know for the most part the S is the same as other cars, but I'm worried about them messing anything up (especially scratching my wheels). Are most shops equipped to handle 21 inchers? Should I worry about their pressure guns on the dark lug nuts?

A proper alignment can make a big difference in range and handling (especially in cross-winds and grooved pavement). Are there published specs? I haven't seen any so far--and guessing doesn't cut it.

Some of the latest alignment equipment can perform an alignment without removing the wheels so damage is unlikely.
I would find a well equipped wheel alignment shop and see if Tesla can give them the info they require to complete the job.
I found a good place by asking my Mercedes dealer where they organise tyres and alignments.

Thanks guys. Had no idea they didn't need to remove the wheels these days (last time I had to get one done outside a dealership was about a decade ago). I'm waiting on a response from ownership, but may just call if I don't hear by noon.

Make sure to talk nicely with the tech doing the alignment regarding your wheels. The devices they place on all four wheels have little "feet" that clamp onto the rim around the edge right where the tire bead goes. If they are not careful, you could have 3-4 small nicks on the wheel where they push the device on. It's still the best way to do a 4 wheel alignment, however it's all in the hands of the tech whether they take their time and are careful with the wheels.

1 you need the alignment. My car is straight on.
2 you need the tires exactly the same pressure to the best of your ability. Dial gauge only.
3 a few of the Tesla stores can do the alignment in house.
4 take the Tesla ranger's recommendation for location as they are the most intelligent group of mechanics I have ever seen. They care too.
5 if you need something done Tesla is willing to transport your Model S for you.

Well, service got back to me this morning and sent over a doc outlining the alignment settings for the car. I took it to my local Audi dealer, and after having it most of the day they #1 can't do it because the wheels are too big (seriously? I've seen Audis with some huge wheels) and #2 said in their opinion, it doesn't need an alignment (from eyeballing it and a "brief" drive). Cool, just gave some techs a joyride for nothing.

We had our alignment for our Roadster done at a local Toyota dealer.
They were thrilled to get a chance to work on a Tesla;)
I would suggest calling first though. I am also surprised Audi said the tires were too big.

Well, service got back to me this morning and sent over a doc outlining the alignment settings for the car. I took it to my local Audi dealer, and after having it most of the day they #1 can't do it because the wheels are too big (seriously? I've seen Audis with some huge wheels) and #2 said in their opinion, it doesn't need an alignment (from eyeballing it and a "brief" drive). Cool, just gave some techs a joyride for nothing.

I'd suggest trying a frame shop rather than a car dealer.

P2485
Model S performance 85kw

I noticed the same thing (pulling to the right). And it is a pretty good pull.
I took it into the santa monica service station and left it overnight and they told me that they would first check the suspension and if it wasn't a suspension issue that they would send it to have the alignment checked. When i got the car back the next day they said the alignment was indeed off. I drove the car home about 2 miles and it seemed like it was still off to the right. The next day on the freeway driving to work i was sure it was still pulling hard to the right! it wasn't any better at all! I called them and let them know and am awaiting a plan of action.....

P2485
Model S performance 85kw

I noticed the same thing (pulling to the right). And it is a pretty good pull.
I took it into the santa monica service station and left it overnight and they told me that they would first check the suspension and if it wasn't a suspension issue that they would send it to have the alignment checked. When i got the car back the next day they said the alignment was indeed off. I drove the car home about 2 miles and it seemed like it was still off to the right. The next day on the freeway driving to work i was sure it was still pulling hard to the right! it wasn't any better at all! I called them and let them know and am awaiting a plan of action.....

Thank you, please keep us in the loop! I pretty much was told to try another shop since there's nothing they can do without knowing if it needs an alignment or not.

Thank you, please keep us in the loop! I pretty much was told to try another shop since there's nothing they can do without knowing if it needs an alignment or not.

In general, proper ride height is a large part of alignment and model s is unique in that area. Ride height must be spot on during alignment, so tesla service have the advantage of making those adjustments if needed. Audi would have similar procedures for their air ride systems, but likely not the programmer to calibrate ride height. I would hope they take care of low milage alignment concerns without a fuss.

In general, proper ride height is a large part of alignment and model s is unique in that area. Ride height must be spot on during alignment, so tesla service have the advantage of making those adjustments if needed. Audi would have similar procedures for their air ride systems, but likely not the programmer to calibrate ride height. I would hope they take care of low milage alignment concerns without a fuss.

Well they said they couldn't do it because of the 21s, so it sounds like they didn't even get that far. If the service center weren't 3 hours away I'd take it in and let them deal with it.

i had the same problem! Car was pulling (fairly hard) to the right.
i took it in for service and now it is driving straight as an arrow.
strange that there have been a few people reporting the issue and all of have to the RIGHT. (would expect 50/50 left or right......).
Any thoughts?

i had the same problem! Car was pulling (fairly hard) to the right.
i took it in for service and now it is driving straight as an arrow.
strange that there have been a few people reporting the issue and all of have to the RIGHT. (would expect 50/50 left or right......).
Any thoughts?

1. The way the cars are loaded on the transport knocks the alignment out and because cars are loaded the same way, it knocks them out the same way. (speculation only).

2. The alignment tolerances at the factory tend to adjust the cars to pull to the right as the tolerances slip (speculation only).

3. Roads slope from the centre to the edge on the right side. This tends to make most alignment issues pull to the right. It's worse on local roads than on freeways because local roads have a higher crown than freeways do.

Would you mind posting the Model S Alignement document so we don't have to bother service to get it?

Thanks,
PatP