Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone get an insurance quote from Costco recently?? $406 for 2 vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have esurance and for my 2020 M3 and my wife's 2014 ICE vehicle, we are paying $850 for a 250/500/100 policy. I hopped on Costco online today after upgrading to an executive membership. They gave me the same coverage with $1000 deductible and it came up to $406! I'm not sure if its because it's thru Connect which is powered by American Family, but that's $450 cheaper than what I'm currently paying. Anyone ever deal with claims thru Connect?

I looked at them, but (as I remember) Ameriprise wants to be able to directly debit your bank account and I wanted to have the bank send them a monthly check instead, so I moved on.

Life is too short to give companies direct access to your bank account.
Thanks guys. The wild swings between insurance companies is insane. We're talking $406 for Connect to $1800 for State Farm. I'm with esurance for now at $850...

Here's my quotes for 6 months. 40 year old, zero accidents, never made a claim, home owner. Obviously rates vary based on individual and location. It's clear half of them don't want to insure a Tesla.

dairyland had the balls to email me later saying their rates are competitive and I should finish obtaining their insurance.

1. Liberty Mutual Insurance $804 (online quote), but it became $1475 once an agent quoted
  2. mercury $775
  3. progressive $810
  4. esurance $870
  5. geico $993
  6. ameriprise (Costco) $994
  7. metlife $978
  8. amica $1099
  9. travelers $1158
  10. statefarm $1212
  11. farmers $1386
  12. safeco $1434
  13. general auto $1968
  14. american family ins $2085
  15. Chubb $2306
  16. dairyland ins $3340

• Informative
Reactions: tbwnm
Wow!!! I only cycled thru esurance, progressive, amiga, state farm and AAA. I rent a home now but being in northern California I'm sitting on a huge downpayment but have renters insurance. My wife's car is paid off and I only owe 30% of what my car is worth at this point. Its definitely insane for a $60,000 car, it's cheaper to insure an Audi A6 or BMW 3 series.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I’ve had Ameriprise/CONNECT for several years now, they were the lowest quote I received by far.

I also happen to be wrapping up a claim on my Model S right now. My wife was subjected to a gravel shower on the freeway - punctured the radiator, broke the windshield, two new headlights, new bumper, and hood / quarter panel repaint. Nearly $8k in damage - crazy.

So far CONNECT has been super easy to work with. No complaints so far. Car is supposed to be ready for pickup on Friday, fingers crossed...

I did. Tesla Insurance actually gave me a lower quote than Costco Connect. It was just slightly lower. I decided to go with Connect. I was just not sure how well Tesla will handle claims and such. The other thing is that I have 3 cars, 2 of them are Tesla. If I go with Tesla, I have to split up my auto insurance.
Tesla insurance is saying that my license isn’t even valid. Whatever that means. I can’t even update it.

Tesla insurance is saying that my license isn’t even valid. Whatever that means. I can’t even update it.

What I found out is that some info is linked from your Tesla account. Even though you can enter all the info into the boxes, it must match what is on your account. I had an old address on my account and it kept giving me an error every time I tried getting a quote. I went to my main Tesla login and updated the address and it worked after that.

I currently have esurance and for my 2020 M3 and my wife's 2014 ICE vehicle, we are paying $850 for a 250/500/100 policy. I hopped on Costco online today after upgrading to an executive membership. They gave me the same coverage with $1000 deductible and it came up to $406! I'm not sure if its because it's thru Connect which is powered by American Family, but that's $450 cheaper than what I'm currently paying. Anyone ever deal with claims thru Connect?

$406 for 6 months?

I'm using Wawanesa. Been with them for 10 years and their rates are much lower than anyone else, even Tesla Insurance.

Uhhhh.... these prices mean nothing if the details of coverage aren't included.

I learned over years and talking to a neighbor who is an agent, they can quote you cheaper than anything you already have - but the coverage may also be less. And even comparing similar coverage, some companies will undercut the actual cost to get you and then make up for it when renewed.

Sam can sell you that can of beans for $5
Fred can sell you that can of beans for $2

Hint: Fred's can is much smaller

I learned over years and talking to a neighbor who is an agent, they can quote you cheaper than anything you already have - but the coverage may also be less. And even comparing similar coverage, some companies will undercut the actual cost to get you and then make up for it when renewed.

Sam can sell you that can of beans for $5
Fred can sell you that can of beans for $2

Hint: Fred's can is much smaller

Not only the coverages, but age, driving history, car year, model, msrp, etc. all affect it as well.

I got my quote from Costco using coverages equal to what I have through Tesla ins/ and Costco was ~$225/mo vs $122/mo I pay now.

I had Geico, then Mercury (bundle with house Ins.) and now Tesla. Nobody quoted even close to what Tesla is giving me. Not even Wawanesa.

Of course. Insurance is rarely if ever an apples/apples sort of comparison, and there are way too many coverage/personal/geographic variables. That said, here's my current CONNECT declarations page if it helps anyone. Rural CA, two mid-40s drivers with clean records, 250/500 coverage and $1k deductibles. As I mentioned up-thread, we've had two not at fault claims with them, one on the Tesla and one on another car, and they've been pleasant and easy to deal with each time.

I've been with them for four years and the premium has been very consistent - very little inflation over time.

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 3.22.20 PM.png

Last edited:
Of course. Insurance is rarely if ever an apples/apples sort of comparison, and there are way too many coverage/personal/geographic variables. That said, here's my current CONNECT declarations page if it helps anyone. Rural CA, two mid-40s drivers with clean records, 250/500 coverage and $1k deductibles. As I mentioned up-thread, we've had two not at fault claims with them, one on the Tesla and one on another car, and they've been pleasant and easy to deal with each time.

I've been with them for four years and the premium has been very consistent - very little inflation over time.

View attachment 605226
That’s what I got too! Seriously half of what Esurance is giving me. Not sure if it’s because I’m an executive member.

then again they’re making me jump thru hurdles because I claimed both vehicle’s accumulate less than 10,000 miles a year, which they do.