Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone get an insurance quote from Costco recently?? $406 for 2 vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my quotes for 6 months. 40 year old, zero accidents, never made a claim, home owner. Obviously rates vary based on individual and location. It's clear half of them don't want to insure a Tesla.

dairyland had the balls to email me later saying their rates are competitive and I should finish obtaining their insurance.

1. Liberty Mutual Insurance $804 (online quote), but it became $1475 once an agent quoted
  2. mercury $775
  3. progressive $810
  4. esurance $870
  5. geico $993
  6. ameriprise (Costco) $994
  7. metlife $978
  8. amica $1099
  9. travelers $1158
  10. statefarm $1212
  11. farmers $1386
  12. safeco $1434
  13. general auto $1968
  14. american family ins $2085
  15. Chubb $2306
  16. dairyland ins $3340
Have you thought about adding Tesla insurance to the list?

I’m still shopping around but so far the Costco one is half of what I pay to Allstate: $220 a month (outrageous which is why I’m changing) vs. Costco at $110 a month. Tesla was about $120 ish but I’m also on the fence about that one being no one has really outright come out with a good or decent review of customer service. The only thing I’m hesitant on Costco (Connect) is that they won’t add loan gap coverage which Allstate is offering. I realize the cost probably wouldn’t be that much for the gap insurance but the Costco Connect people told me they won’t sell to me if my car has more than 1000 miles. I bought my 2020 Model 3 Performance PUP back in March so I’m almost 8K miles.

I’m not quite sure if this is worth the gamble so early on. If I was 2 years or so into it with at least not being upside down (in case of a total loss) then it would be a no brainer. The savings are substantial if I’m willing to forgo the gap coverage not being available to me.

I’m still shopping around but so far the Costco one is half of what I pay to Allstate: $220 a month (outrageous which is why I’m changing) vs. Costco at $110 a month. Tesla was about $120 ish but I’m also on the fence about that one being no one has really outright come out with a good or decent review of customer service. The only thing I’m hesitant on Costco (Connect) is that they won’t add loan gap coverage which Allstate is offering. I realize the cost probably wouldn’t be that much for the gap insurance but the Costco Connect people told me they won’t sell to me if my car has more than 1000 miles. I bought my 2020 Model 3 Performance PUP back in March so I’m almost 8K miles.

I’m not quite sure if this is worth the gamble so early on. If I was 2 years or so into it with at least not being upside down (in case of a total loss) then it would be a no brainer. The savings are substantial if I’m willing to forgo the gap coverage not being available to me.
I had a friend own a white model 3 standard. He got rear end about 2 years ago and the car was just sitting in the repair shop waiting for a bumper from the factory. It took about 9 months total to get his car back. The complaint was that Tesla systems don't necessarily talk to the insurance adjuster and systems very well because everything on a Telsa is higher than the blue book or standard pricing. So I think having Tesla Insurance would help since Tesla is providing the coverage and can talk internally between systems. This is my hope and why i went with Tesla insurance. I have not been in any accidents yet. Well some lady hit my left rear side and ran off in a parking lot, but I didn't not claim anything due to the expected long waits.... I hope that when the time comes, Tesla Insurance will provide the support. Fingers crossed!

I had a friend own a white model 3 standard. He got rear end about 2 years ago and the car was just sitting in the repair shop waiting for a bumper from the factory. It took about 9 months total to get his car back. The complaint was that Tesla systems don't necessarily talk to the insurance adjuster and systems very well because everything on a Telsa is higher than the blue book or standard pricing. So I think having Tesla Insurance would help since Tesla is providing the coverage and can talk internally between systems. This is my hope and why i went with Tesla insurance. I have not been in any accidents yet. Well some lady hit my left rear side and ran off in a parking lot, but I didn't not claim anything due to the expected long waits.... I hope that when the time comes, Tesla Insurance will provide the support. Fingers crossed!

You are expecting a level of service and sophistication from Tesla Insurance that they, to put it nicely, have not been able to exhibit thus far.

Tesla Insurance Claim Check Bounced

Fingers crossed indeed...

I read the article about the Tesla insurance check bouncing. wow. I checked my policy. See photo attached. The underwriter is State National Companies. But I still think it is a Tesla "brand" insurance. Not sure what "PRODUCER" means and how the quality of care is involved. I am kinda thinking twice about keeping my Telsa Insurance policy now. Costco insurance is much lower, but I will have to check to confirm by how much.
upload_2020-12-10_11-55-17.png

Thanks for the article! and Fingers crossed about it having good service!

I got my Model 3 in March 2020 and added it to my existing Allstate policy. By the end of 2020 Allstate was over 1800 for 6 months for just my Model 3 alone. That was highway robbery so I cancelled them and switched to Progressive which was a much more palatable 800 for 6 months. My wife recently bought a Model Y LR so after adding them to my Progressive policy they are telling me the renewal will go up to 1800 for 6 months for my Model 3 Performance and her Model Y LR. Tesla insurance didn't really allow a multi car policy so individually both policies through Tesla would also be almost 1800 for 6 months. $300 per month for two cars (cars that are supposedly extremely safe and with many anti-theft features) seemed like way too much for insurance. I went back for a quote through Costco today and lo and behold I was quoted $872 for 6 months. That is awesome and I am starting it as soon as I can and cancelling Progressive as they are going up to almost $1800 for 6 months. My coverages are 100/300 for liability bodily injury and 100 for property damage with 100/300 uninsured motorists for bodily injury and 1000 deductible for comp and collision. Late 30's for wife and I and we've been driving since I was 16 and she 18 with one small 50% fault non injury accident for me which my insurance paid $249 to settle 3 years ago.

Connect by AmFam through Costco has been excellent. I have had one non-driving damage claim and a windshield repair. They have been the best, always easy to contact and get responses from. As others replied, their rates are unbeatable for me. Nobody comes close. Tesla insurance was almost 2X higher.

It's a windshield repair and not replacement right? One thing I was worried about switching to Connect (1.5 years) ago was that they don't have a glass only low deductible. With my previous insurance, they have a $100 glass only replacement deductible. Now if I break our windshields again, we will have to pay the $500 normal deductible.