Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone get autopark to work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
277 Miles on my Model 3.

Autopilot works great. Auto park has never worked.

I had Tesla on the phone for 20 minutes as I did laps around the parking lot at my work. The (P) never showed up despite following the tech's instructions.
I have no idea what it's like on AP2 (or the 3), but with AP1 I find that I have to drive quite close to perpendicular parked cars in order for it to identify spaces. Something like 12 inches or so from my passenger door to the car tails/noses in order for it to identify the space with the P on the dash screen. For me that's much closer than I would normally drive by them.

Driving pretty close to the cars is what got me to finally get it to work. I was more in the middle of the lane.

What you don't realize when you've never done it is it does it in 2 shots. You think you need to be in the middle of the lane, to back in to it in one shot, but since it does it in 2, you need to be close.

I had a really interesting one today. I drove past a space, and it didn't work. I think I was too far away. So I moved a little closer, and then the next space I got the P. I put it in reverse, and backed up PAST the 2nd space, and pulled in to the first space.

When I got out, I noticed that on the 2nd space, one of the cars was very close to the lane line. So it seems it somehow decided against pulling in there, but I have no idea how it figured there was also another space available behind it.

Very cool/weird.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I finally got the perpendicular auto park to work for me last night. I found that I had to drive fairly close to the parked cars and drive a little bit past the spot before I saw the P display. I was pretty nervous the whole time tho as it seemed to get really close to the parked cars.

I finally got the perpendicular auto park to work for me last night. I found that I had to drive fairly close to the parked cars and drive a little bit past the spot before I saw the P display. I was pretty nervous the whole time tho as it seemed to get really close to the parked cars.
I had my co-worker get out to look at it the first time, because it looked REALLY close on the screen. But in reality it's not THAT close.

And thinking about it, if the car can't see it's about to hit a parked car going 2 mph and stop, than something would definitely be wrong.

I've tried to autopark my 3 about a dozen times, but the icon never shows up. It showed up once at a stoplight, but no luck in a regular parking lot, even when other cars are surrounding my spot. And I feel like I'm always in a hurry because the parking lots tend to be busy when I'm practicing autoparking.

I will try scooting forward a bit further in case that helps. Any other tricks to make this work?

I've tried to autopark my 3 about a dozen times, but the icon never shows up. It showed up once at a stoplight, but no luck in a regular parking lot, even when other cars are surrounding my spot. And I feel like I'm always in a hurry because the parking lots tend to be busy when I'm practicing autoparking.

I will try scooting forward a bit further in case that helps. Any other tricks to make this work?
I've gotten it to work but from my experience it's quite picky. For perpendicular parking it only works if the spot is between 2 cars. I notice if the spot is too big or if the 2 cars are not parked well (ie. not straight in the spot), it will not pick up the spot. I've gotten a lot of success by driving slowly and driving pass the spot.

Reactions: LadyMacbrat
I can consistently get it to work for perpendicular parking, if I drive past the spot, swoop out away from the spot and put it in reverse as if I was going to back in myself. As soon as I put it in reverse, I get the blue auto park button. Try pulling a little father past where you would normally stop and switch to reverse to ensure that the spot is recognized.

Reactions: Blue in NC
Mine used to give me the ‘P’ symbol but I haven’t seen that for quite a while now. I’ve gotten the perpendicular to work completely exactly once since delivery. I probably have only tried to use it about 15 or 20 times total since the end of April.
My experience is the same as @Chanceofthat ...I get the blue “Autopark” button which either doesn’t react to my selection of it at all....or...does and the car starts the process only to then cancel out a few seconds later.
My attempts at parallel have been only maybe 5 times total, it’s never completed.
The “autopark” button appearing and just not reacting to my selection of it on the screen is more troubling to me than the cancelling out....this will be mentioned to my SC when I go in for rotation soon.
This auto park thing and 1 hard reset needed are the ONLY glitches I have thus far...so pretty great overall for me.

Autopark is one of the few “WTF” things with tesla (the other being the lack of blind spot monitoring or weak pedestrian detection).

Prospective owners should set very low expectation for these features.

(On a positive side Autopilot will more than make for it)

Been thinking about the back-in a lot as I will be backing mine (when it comes) into my garage and I’m hopeful that I can utilize the feature to make that an easier daily activity. I’ve thought about actually painting lines on my garage floor to help it pick it up... no idea if that’s feasible or worthwhile? I would expect to have to start the process manually and at some point be able to hit the feature and let it finish...
Need to back in between two cars

Mine used to give me the ‘P’ symbol but I haven’t seen that for quite a while now. I’ve gotten the perpendicular to work completely exactly once since delivery. I probably have only tried to use it about 15 or 20 times total since the end of April.
My experience is the same as @Chanceofthat ...I get the blue “Autopark” button which either doesn’t react to my selection of it at all....or...does and the car starts the process only to then cancel out a few seconds later.
My attempts at parallel have been only maybe 5 times total, it’s never completed.
The “autopark” button appearing and just not reacting to my selection of it on the screen is more troubling to me than the cancelling out....this will be mentioned to my SC when I go in for rotation soon.
This auto park thing and 1 hard reset needed are the ONLY glitches I have thus far...so pretty great overall for me.
Just to confirm, when you see the icon is when you put the car in reverse. It should then ask if you want to start AP

does anyone know if autopark will eventually work just by lines? it seems crazy to me that a car which can drive itself can't park in a wide open parking lot between 2 visible lines
I believe auto park currently relies on the ultrasonic sensors which don’t detect painted lines. They would need to implement Tesla Vision for parking in order to “see” lines.

Just to confirm, when you see the icon is when you put the car in reverse. It should then ask if you want to start AP

Yeah...the “P” just doesn’t appear for me...tried turning off/on the feature but still no worky....but occasionally when I put it in reverse while parking the blue auto park button does pop up. When it does appear and I try to use it...it fails to complete. I’m obviously not that concerned about it since I just had my first service center visit to rotate the tires, add trunk garnish and replace my right side steering wheel stalk..and I totally forgot to even mention my auto park issues.
PS - all services were complimentary, no charge! Love it.