Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone get Tesla to fix clicking noise from center dash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious if anyone here has had similar issues. I've had this persistent clicking noise coming from the front which is very annoying. I've gone 3 times now to SC, and they can't seem to fix it. The first time they did something and it worked for a week, but then it came back. I've gone back twice since, and they say that everything is normal and that this kind of noise is common in this car. I find this hard to believe. It's an annoying high pitched clicking which is there at low speeds (10-40mph) and is heard in the front dash area. It's only when the car is driving, and seems like something is loose because it's worse on bumpy roads or when there's incline. I have a video of how it sounds (kind of hard to hear but it's the light clicking noise heard at 00:15) https://photos.app.goo.gl/PDLeUWPFtvPNMYQMA

Anyone get something similar fixed? I don't know how to get them to fix it. I was told this is related to shock tower braces, but torque properly applied so any noise is normal. This noise started 6 months after delivery, so I refuse to believe it's normal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I’ve lived with the exact same noise for a couple years now. I think I’ve learned to just tune it out. A couple times I’ve gotten up the nerve to start removing the dash pad to find it, and then chickened out at last minute.
what I don’t want to do is make things worse by loosening parts of the dash and trim pieces.

anyway I have always suspected it’s simply a wire connector that isn’t tied down and is bouncing around in there slightly while driving.

I get clicking in my dash near the drivers' A pillar only when the weather is in the low 40's or lower. The click occurs when hitting a bump or rough road surfaces. When the weather warms up, the clicking stops. I am afraid that trying to fix this problem will cause more problems.

I had the same, it was the actuators

They fixed it? Did they say anything else? From what I'm reading, there's lots of different actuators in there. Do you happen to still have the invoice?

I’ve lived with the exact same noise for a couple years now. I think I’ve learned to just tune it out. A couple times I’ve gotten up the nerve to start removing the dash pad to find it, and then chickened out at last minute.
what I don’t want to do is make things worse by loosening parts of the dash and trim pieces.

anyway I have always suspected it’s simply a wire connector that isn’t tied down and is bouncing around in there slightly while driving.

I feel you. it's very frustrating. Did you take it to SC? What did they say?

20200224_215058.jpg

Thanks! I'm curious was your noise just like in the video? Only present when driving (accel/decelerating) at low speeds? I'm reading through other threads and seems lots of people had this issue but it's related to the struts on the front suspension. I would think if it was the AC actuator you had this noise when the car was not driving too?

Thanks! I'm curious was your noise just like in the video? Only present when driving (accel/decelerating) at low speeds? I'm reading through other threads and seems lots of people had this issue but it's related to the struts on the front suspension. I would think if it was the AC actuator you had this noise when the car was not driving too?
My noise came from the center of the dash near the wind shield, it was a steady clicking noise, kinda hard for me to hear in the video

Hey all! Just curious if OP was able to solve the issue? I have a 2018 Model S and experiencing the exact same clicking noise - only while driving at speeds between about 10 and 50 MPH and definitely more pronounced on bumpy roads.

I had a faint but annoying clicking sound coming from my (new at the time ) 2018 MS 75D. While it came from the dash, it was originating from the front of the car and resonating through the dash. 2 aluminium bars used to stiffen the cars (best I can describe..) where flexing under certain condition (uneven roads). Both parts where changed under warranty (twice in fact as the noise came back a few months after the first replacement).

See "Refreshed model S Plaid dashboard noise" thread

I had a faint but annoying clicking sound coming from my (new at the time ) 2018 MS 75D. While it came from the dash, it was originating from the front of the car and resonating through the dash. 2 aluminium bars used to stiffen the cars (best I can describe..) where flexing under certain condition (uneven roads). Both parts where changed under warranty (twice in fact as the noise came back a few months after the first replacement).

See "Refreshed model S Plaid dashboard noise" thread
Fascinating, thanks so much for sharing! Will have a look at that thread and this specific set of aluminum bars stiffening the ride.

I get clicking in my dash near the drivers' A pillar only when the weather is in the low 40's or lower. The click occurs when hitting a bump or rough road surfaces. When the weather warms up, the clicking stops. I am afraid that trying to fix this problem will cause more problems.
Did you get an answer on what this fix is? I got the same thing and brought it in. Sent them a video with the sound and all I got from them was “we can’t reproduce it”

I thought I should post this here as I was able to retrieve the invoice from the service order back in 2020 when they fixed a similar (?) issue. Apparently, the SC replaced a pair of "Shock Tower Brace".

- Asy-Shock Tower Brace, RH LHD (1064611-00-B)
- Asy-Shock Tower Brace, LH LHD (1064610-00-D)

This was done under Basic Limited Warranty at Zero cost to me.

Maybe directing the SCs to these parts will help.

Good luck to all

I'm curious if anyone here has had similar issues. I've had this persistent clicking noise coming from the front which is very annoying. I've gone 3 times now to SC, and they can't seem to fix it. The first time they did something and it worked for a week, but then it came back. I've gone back twice since, and they say that everything is normal and that this kind of noise is common in this car. I find this hard to believe. It's an annoying high pitched clicking which is there at low speeds (10-40mph) and is heard in the front dash area. It's only when the car is driving, and seems like something is loose because it's worse on bumpy roads or when there's incline. I have a video of how it sounds (kind of hard to hear but it's the light clicking noise heard at 00:15) New video by Michael Zaurov

Anyone get something similar fixed? I don't know how to get them to fix it. I was told this is related to shock tower braces, but torque properly applied so any noise is normal. This noise started 6 months after delivery, so I refuse to believe it's normal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Did you find a solution for this guy? Same noise in my Model S 2017.

Did you find a solution for this guy? Same noise in my Model S 2017.
Just had mine returned after 3 days in the shop for the same exact noise the original poster provided in the video. They said they have it 95% solved but won't share what they did other than charging for labor to remove and reinstall trim pieces. Still makes the noise, just a bit softer now. Was a waste of time and money. 2018 Model S.