Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone get their non-piano black center console?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. Here in Hong Kong, I have been called by Tesla and told that the Carbon Fiber console is not available for the "foreseeable future" and do I want a black one. Can't quite work out why I'd want to put the wrong one in, however...

I had the piano black installed at delivery. I don't even notice the difference. Not only that, but the door with that trim on it is usually always open anyways. Closed, because of how low it is, it doesn't look out of place. The Tesla center console is way better than the evannex one and actually uses all of the space unlike the evannex. Plus the cup holders can be configured for size and position. Its very clever.

Can you expand on the reasons you think Tesla's console is better than EVannex?

I got a glimpse of one today at the SC through the window of a car with tan leather in which it had apparently just been installed. It appeared that two cup holder inserts consumed nearly all of the storage bin. The iPhone caddy was open and it appeared as if there may be room inside for a couple pairs of sunglasses and/or a wallet or coin purse. The light gray stitching on the black leatherette seems to match the factory stitching on the body of the armrest tower.

Pictures online of EVannex CCI show a full covering of Obeche wood from end to end and upholstery color-matched leather sides that extend enough above the top to restrain items set there. The iPhone niche is small and faces the phone such that the driver cannot really see the screen or reach the start button. Its cup holder consumes the rest of the space that Tesla uses for its iPhone compartment and an optional second cup holder insert would take up about half of the main storage bin.

Can you expand on the reasons you think Tesla's console is better than EVannex?

I got a glimpse of one today at the SC through the window of a car with tan leather in which it had apparently just been installed. It appeared that two cup holder inserts consumed nearly all of the storage bin. The iPhone caddy was open and it appeared as if there may be room inside for a couple pairs of sunglasses and/or a wallet or coin purse. The light gray stitching on the black leatherette seems to match the factory stitching on the body of the armrest tower.

Pictures online of EVannex CCI show a full covering of Obeche wood from end to end and upholstery color-matched leather sides that extend enough above the top to restrain items set there. The iPhone niche is small and faces the phone such that the driver cannot really see the screen or reach the start button. Its cup holder consumes the rest of the space that Tesla uses for its iPhone compartment and an optional second cup holder insert would take up about half of the main storage bin.

You didn't ask specifically, but I can tell you some of the reasons I like the Tesla console better.

I'm not planning on using the cup holders, so I'll have all that extra space in the Tesla console. I don't like the fact that the Evannex console has the gaping cup holder right in the middle of it, especially since I wouldn't be using it. I like that when the Tesla unit is closed, it is very unobtrusive. I like that the phone placement seems convenient, even if I may have to jump through some hoops in order to enable my wife to dock her iPhone 6 while it remains in its case. And perhaps most importantly, aesthetically I think it just looks better. But of course that's particularly subjective.

You didn't ask specifically, but I can tell you some of the reasons I like the Tesla console better.

I'm not planning on using the cup holders, so I'll have all that extra space in the Tesla console. I don't like the fact that the Evannex console has the gaping cup holder right in the middle of it, especially since I wouldn't be using it. I like that when the Tesla unit is closed, it is very unobtrusive. I like that the phone placement seems convenient, even if I may have to jump through some hoops in order to enable my wife to dock her iPhone 6 while it remains in its case. And perhaps most importantly, aesthetically I think it just looks better. But of course that's particularly subjective.

Andyw2100, I agree with your thoughts completely. I will not be using the cupholders either. Since I'm not taking delivery until late summer or fall, maybe there is hope for me to match my obeche gloss!

Andyw2100, I agree with your thoughts completely. I will not be using the cupholders either. Since I'm not taking delivery until late summer or fall, maybe there is hope for me to match my obeche gloss!

Sure there's hope. If I were you, I'd probably start hoping for about the second anniversary of when you take delivery. :)

(I'm being a bit facetious, but based on how much longer it is taking Tesla to come out with the non-piano black versions of these, you'd think that in the final release we'll be able to push a button and have them switch magically between any of the other finishes. If that happens, this delay will almost, but even then not really, be understandable. If it doesn't, and it won't, then there simply is no explaining what's going on.)