Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone get this message: Power Train Problem Service required

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the TPMS error several times (in fact it's been happening to me now). Even though sometimes it looks like it's cleared itself, it really hasn't. It just sometimes takes a while for the car to decide that the TPMS isn't working properly. You need to get a ranger to re-associate your TPMS receiver with the senders in the tires. One tell-tale of this problem is that you'll never be able to read the tire pressure from the info screen that you can get to when the parking brake is on, even when the TPMS error is showing.

I'm seeing ID 287 a lot lately. The car won't charge and says "Power Train Problem" and the ring goes Red.

This can be resolved by driving around for 5 minutes and retry. It seems to be a moisture problem (according to Tesla) which builds up around a sensor. Since it is getting colder here and the rains start to come it seems logical. Didn't see the problem in the summer, but saw it once in spring.

Reactions: DeedWest
You need to get a ranger to re-associate your TPMS receiver with the senders in the tires. One tell-tale of this problem is that you'll never be able to read the tire pressure from the info screen that you can get to when the parking brake is on, even when the TPMS error is showing.

Yup - I can't read the tire pressures and the error comes and goes, although when I try to read the tire pressure, it will immediately pop up. What a pain in the derriere! Seems like this could be a simple firmware fix. In the meantime, Tesla is looking at the logs...

Yup - I can't read the tire pressures and the error comes and goes, although when I try to read the tire pressure, it will immediately pop up. What a pain in the derriere! Seems like this could be a simple firmware fix. In the meantime, Tesla is looking at the logs...

It can't be fixed by Tesla firmware. They use a TPMS manufactured by another company, and it's a limitation of that TPMS. If for any reason the TPMS doesn't see the wheels for a while it drops them altogether. Not terribly sensible but that's what it does.

Apparently the 1.5's used a more expensive version of the TPMS system and have fewer problems.

If it really bothers you, or you switch wheels a lot, then you can buy the appropriate gadget: Roadster Tire Pressure Monitoring System Tesla Motors

After months of being an irritating nuisance, it has stopped the random audio fault assaults. Now just the occasional TS fault, with audio jingle, that must be cleared with a finger jab. My aim is getting rather good. Now it doesn't even appear at each startup. I guess it is finally accepting the fact that I couldn't care less about federal safety mandates.
--