Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone getting close to 150 kW?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have supercharged at least 3 times with the new firmware (16.2) at SCs identified as 150 kW capable and the most I can get is 120. My lowest SoC was 30% and on all occasion there were 4 vehicles max at a 12 stall charger.
You can see it actually clip at 120 kW.
Is this common?

Plenty of folks are getting just under 150kW (146-148 kW). Examples here: 150kW Supercharging for Model 3

To get these rates it’s critical your battery is warm and the stall isn’t shared (obviously) or overheated. The On-Route Battery Warmup targets 104F/40C.

If the battery can take it and the stall can provide it, the amount below 150kW you get depends on the other energy your car is using for accessories (like HVAC) and battery cooling.

(All the above assumes an LR battery.)

I didn’t quite get to 150kW, but 145/146kW — pretty close, and lots better than before.

8AB49306-21D4-4F2C-A497-21ED917CDF35.jpeg

Attachments

• 1AA6852F-A369-40CF-BEE5-7BCDD44C71BF.jpeg
    1AA6852F-A369-40CF-BEE5-7BCDD44C71BF.jpeg
    435.6 KB · Views: 59
I just came back from Vegas this past weekend and in Mojave, Yermo and Primm the Superchargers were rated at 150kw. I didn't get 150kw but close enough. Charging was super fast and I barely had enough time to make a pit stop at the restroom and grab something to eat.

The screen stated 1 hour and 10 minutes but it was more like 20 ish minutes. I did not charge all the way. I realize my "set limit" is high.

Charging rates in Nevada are dirt cheap compared to California. On this trip I charged in Mojave and then crossed the state line and charged at Primm.

Not the best pic but here goes:

IMG_6952.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX
Here's that local's screen shot. I'm not sure which SC this was at. They didn't mention and I didn't ask.

FullSizeRender.jpg

If you check the math on the kW to miles conversion it is using, it is displaying something that is well above 4miles/kWh.

Tesla has some New Math going on behind that charging screen. Are they trying to estimate off some sort of actual use, or there's a flat out bug, or they are estimating based on Nav going forward?

I just came back from Vegas this past weekend and in Mojave, Yermo and Primm the Superchargers were rated at 150kw. I didn't get 150kw but close enough. Charging was super fast and I barely had enough time to make a pit stop at the restroom and grab something to eat.

The screen stated 1 hour and 10 minutes but it was more like 20 ish minutes. I did not charge all the way. I realize my "set limit" is high.

Charging rates in Nevada are dirt cheap compared to California. On this trip I charged in Mojave and then crossed the state line and charged at Primm.

Not the best pic but here goes:

View attachment 414397

just an fyi: To get better quality pictures from the screen; turn your brightness up

Battery warm. I get clipped at 500 too but for me it is 120 Kw. Not sure what is going on with the different miles/Kw notifications here. Happing with my P3D-
Ill run it down a try again.
For the battery to charge near 150kW, it needs to be close to 40C. To get it to reach that temperature, the car must be driven HARD for an extended period or ORBW needs to be used for awhile before the charge session, by selecting the SC in nav. It could easily take 30 minutes or more to adequately warm the battery, depending on ambient temperature, driving speed and terrain.

The mi/hr indication is limited to 500 mi/hr for most software versions currently released. This is just an indication limit and does not reflect a power limit on Supercharging.

For a 3 LR RWD:
The conversion is ~4.26 mi/hr / kW. (more details here)
Any power above ~117 kW, the mi/hr will be pegged at 500 mi/hi.
At 150kW, it should really show ~639 mi/hr.

For a 3 LR AWD/P:
The conversion is ~4.08 mi/hr / kW
Any power above ~122 kW, the mi/hr will be pegged at 500 mi/hi.
At 150kW, it should really show ~612 mi/hr.

This 500mi/hr indication limit will be lifted when the V3 charging profiles get widely released. Currently 2019.15.11 is being used by about 1.5% of the fleet to test these faster profiles. On 19.15.11, the 500 mi/hr indication limit has been lifted. On the previous test version (19.7.11) the indication limit was 1000 mi/hr. Here's an image from a car on 19.15.11 charging at a V2 Supercharger.

kj6eSyA.jpg

Source: 622 mph : teslamotors

it is displaying something that is well above 4miles/kWh.
Could this be the SR+ ?
I know we expect the cap to be ~ 120 kW but the RM is higher than 4 miles per kWh in that model.

Addendum: Zoomit's LR estimate of 4.27 miles/kWh fits the arithmetic; and in turn that fits 76 kWh usable and 325 miles range. Those last two numbers are a YMMV

Last edited: