Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Getting Vibrations and Buzzing Noise While Stopped on 2021 M3??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same issue here on 2021 M3P from Freemont...usually happens right after I accelerate hard then stop for a traffic light or something...its definitely coming from the front and almost definitely the heat pump activating. Gave my car in for servicing this morning for some delivery day issues and I cited that noise/vibration as a problem, but I'm not holding my breath for any sort of fix there. They'll probably just chalk it up to standard heat pump operation. I hopeee they put some insulation around it. Will let you know tomorrow when I pick it up.

Interesting. When I accelerate hard and then slow down, I hear a (pretty loud) fan sound but for me, it's a smooth fan sound: just a wooshing of air. No vibration. Seemed normal to me: probably cooling things down after a "hit".

Mike

Interesting. When I accelerate hard and then slow down, I hear a (pretty loud) fan sound but for me, it's a smooth fan sound: just a wooshing of air. No vibration. Seemed normal to me: probably cooling things down after a "hit".

Mike
Hmm ok your issue seems less pronounced than mine so consider youself a bit lucky...fan is probably just cooling things down after some intense acceleration like you said...I definitely have more than a fan whooshing...as expected picked up my car today from Tesla Service and they said the heat pump is working as intended from the factory so did nothing about the sound/vibration. Guess its something I'll have to live with.

Ok, just got the 2021 M3P...had previously the 2018 M3 AWD LR....so when Im parked or stopped at stop light i hear a slight buzzing vibration sound and I feel it in steering wheel and brake pedal...anyone else getting this???...is this the new heat pump activating???
Had a test drive at Tesla today, noticed exactly the same thing straight away, can’t say I was impressed for a 50k car. Mentioned it after the drive. Said it’s the new heat pump. Personally I’m actually thinking of buying an earlier model now. I live in England and can no doubt do without it. Great shame.

Had a test drive at Tesla today, noticed exactly the same thing straight away, can’t say I was impressed for a 50k car. Mentioned it after the drive. Said it’s the new heat pump. Personally I’m actually thinking of buying an earlier model now. I live in England and can no doubt do without it. Great shame.
I'm about 4 weeks into owning the new M3P...it was annoying at first...then I slowly got used to it and now the noise doesn't bother me and my ears have kind of tuned it out...its definitely not what you want for a 50K car and I'm not saying its forgiveable...but I wouldnt get an earlier model just to avoid this issue...the new model has several benefits and the heat pump, as loud as it is, is more efficient.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Had a test drive at Tesla today, noticed exactly the same thing straight away, can’t say I was impressed for a 50k car.
Was there as much vibration and noise as an ICE engine would make? I'm actually not being sarcastic here, I'd really like to know.

If it isn't on the same level of vibration and noise as an ICE engine, I'd be seriously tempted to say, "suck it up, buttercup," with a smile and a wink.

Was there as much vibration and noise as an ICE engine would make? I'm actually not being sarcastic here, I'd really like to know.

If it isn't on the same level of vibration and noise as an ICE engine, I'd be seriously tempted to say, "suck it up, buttercup," with a smile and a wink.
If an ice engine sounds wrong, straight to the garage to get it fixed. This cannot be fixed. I’d say a design fault. You’d have to experience it for yourself. I knew instantly it was the pump. You can pretend to yourself that it’s ok :)

If an ice engine sounds wrong, straight to the garage to get it fixed. This cannot be fixed. I’d say a design fault. You’d have to experience it for yourself. I knew instantly it was the pump. You can pretend to yourself that it’s ok :)
I was afraid that my post might be a bit too tongue-in-cheek, and yeah.. .it was.

What I meant was that in an ICE car, you have to feel and listen to much more vibration and louder sound of the engine itself. If the vibration and noise of the heat pump are still quieter than the vibration/sound of an ICE engine, you still have a net gain.

Last edited:
I was afraid that might be a bit too tongue-in-cheek, and yeah.. .it was.

What I meant was that in an ICE car, you have to feel and listen to much more vibration and louder sound of the engine itself. If the vibration and noise of the heat pump are still quieter than the vibration/sound of an ICE engine, you still have a net gain.
I’m serious, if I felt the same thing on an ice engine it would be unacceptable. The steering wheel literally shuddered, then seconds later does it again, seconds, does it again etc. You don’t need to hear it. You can literally feel it . Can’t believe I’m the only person making a fuss.

I’m serious, if I felt the same thing on an ice engine it would be unacceptable. The steering wheel literally shuddered, then seconds later does it again, seconds, does it again etc. You don’t need to hear it. You can literally feel it . Can’t believe I’m the only person making a fuss.
If your mate got in to drive, you’d be embarrassed to tell him it’s all perfectly normal

It could very well be that the vibration isolating mounting points for your heat pump are bad.

Sandy Munro has a video where he shows how the new heat pumps are mounted in the Y and 3, and it uses a vibration isolating mounting system. There's a darn good chance that yours is either loose, or somehow defective.

Might be time for a trip to the SC and have them check out the heat pump mount(s).

In one of the heat pump videos I've watched, the author noted that you can hear the heat pump, and feel a very slight vibration occasionally, but certainly not what you're describing.

It could very well be that the vibration isolating mounting points for your heat pump are bad.

Sandy Munro has a video where he shows how the new heat pumps are mounted in the Y and 3, and it uses a vibration isolating mounting system. There's a darn good chance that yours is either loose, or somehow defective.

Might be time for a trip to the SC and have them check out the heat pump mount(s).

In one of the heat pump videos I've watched, the author noted that you can hear the heat pump, and feel a very slight vibration occasionally, but certainly not what you're describing.
Many thanks for your patience

Many thanks for your patience
I'm just agreeing with you here! There's no way this was intentional. The car is silent otherwise and then you hear this subwoofer type sound that is SOMETIMES accompanied by vibrating steering wheel, pedals, etc. If they fixed this in the Model Y, you would have thought that they could have taken care of this on the 3 BEFORE releasing it. After having the M3P for about 3 months, here's what I have to say about it:
1. I really do love it. I'm not sure I could go back to an ICE car. I always had BMWs to this point, but the Model 3P is just SO quick, quiet, smooth, and easy to drive quickly.
2. The performance brakes are way too soft. I know all about the regen, but why is the brake pedal so spongy?
3. Damn, Tesla did some stupid stuff considering this car was 60K "out the door", examples:
  • Super cheap carpet on the inside (the BMWs all had REALLY high quality carpet). The Tesla's carpet is like some sort of fuzz sprayed onto a hard sheet of plastic. Really!
  • They clearly adjusted some body panels. They still didn't get them flush. However, that's not my complaint, the car is brand new, so I know nobody has ever worked on it. The paint is busted off all the nuts and bolts that they adjusted, where the panels were moved, there is unpainted metal showing from where the car was painted and then had the panels move around. That's just plain disappointing from a build quality perspective.
  • Like I said above, too may parts that are supposed to be flush are "not quite there". Some day, I am sure I'll be adjusting these myself. But, really....I should not have to do that on a 60K car!
  • The vibrating pump is just ridiculous. I don't care what they say to try to cover it up. There's no way they designed/engineered that pump/mount to produce that kind of vibration/sub woofer noise. I worry that anything that vibrates that much is destined to fail. Maybe the issue is the plastic "frunk"? Something resonates to produce that low frequency vibration. When they installed my garage door opener, the frunk was removed. The heat pump itself is very quiet while it runs (think refrigerator quiet). It's also on VERY soft mounts, as in if you put your hands on it, it just flops around. Some day, I will investigate to find out what vibrates/resonates, but again, for 60K I should not have to do that.
  • Yeah.....the infotainment system is super cool. All cars should have it! I'm guessing they WILL have it in the very near future.
  • Someone once told me something along the lines of, "you bought a 30K car with a 30K battery". That puts everything into perspective!

Reactions: Ducati 998
Maybe its me and I've gotten used to it, or maybe they actually did something at my service appointment (they said they didn't do anything), but the sound and vibration of the heat pump and how often/how long it comes on seems to have all gone way down from what I noticed the first few days of owning the car...I don't know why