Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Getting Vibrations and Buzzing Noise While Stopped on 2021 M3??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, just got the 2021 M3P...had previously the 2018 M3 AWD LR....so when Im parked or stopped at stop light i hear a slight buzzing vibration sound and I feel it in steering wheel and brake pedal...anyone else getting this???...is this the new heat pump activating???

Did you check out the other thread? I posted this video, listen with headphones around the 14 second mark. Is your sound a similar sound?

I have a service appt Feb 1 for it and I have sent them the video along with this article Tesla Begins Model Y Heat Pump Noise Cancellation Retrofits

I will report back if its a normal sound or actually something they can fix.

If vibration can be replicated by turning HVAC system off/on (doesnt matter if AC is on or not), the sound/rumble is normal according to service center. For me, turning it off and on will recreate the rumble for a shorter duration and less intensity. It's close enough to when it happens randomly where I can accept that it is normal.

Probably just being more sensitive to vibrations since all the ICE vibrations are now gone.

Same thing on my 2021 LR since day 1, which only had 6 miles on the clock, and nobody touched it after it was rolled down the truck. It didn't feel abnormal to me after reading about all the noises the new heat pump makes. But glad to read my car is not the only one :).

Reactions: Ron_M3
Same here, probably just the heat pump and/or octovalve. Drives my other half crazy as he's particularly sensitive to subwoofer type sounds.

My 2021 Model 3 does it every time I open a door to get in. At first I thought it was some weird "THX"-like intro sound effect the stereo was making. Given the low frequency, perhaps Tesla could actually do active noise cancelation to reduce the effect, but they'd have to get it right every single time or it could end up twice as loud.

I have a Model 3 2021 Performance (since Jan 31) which also has the same sound/vibration from the video. It is definitely related to HVAC, but possibly not specifically AC (heat pump). I know this because (a) it happens even if stopped and/or in Park; (b) it does not happen when the AC system is switched fully off; (c) it happens if the AC (ie. heat pump) is off, but the fan is still switched on. I tested the cases long enough to know that it's thus definitely connected to HVAC. However... note that the HVAC system is also used to run other heating/cooling, eg. the battery, so the things we switch on can be different to what is operating. In my case it does not happen every drive, even though the fan is always on for some ventilation. When I thoroughly tested these cases, the outside temp was about 20C (68F), and the car had been calmly driven a short distance, so there was no chance the battery needed cooling (or warming, I assume).
It's quiet enough not to be annoying, but loud enough to be strange. Regardless of ICE vs EV, there is zero chance any of my other cars' HVAC systems produced a similar sound/vibration. I know sound=vibration, but this one is unusual, in that it is just significant enough to feel rather than just hear. I also know that unforeseen vibration can lead to premature failures, so I am hoping that whatever it is has an intended purpose rather than a design oversight. If I had to guess at a physical description of the source, I would guess either: a variable speed fan where blades or duct shudders briefly as the fan passes through a natural frequency; or something driven by a toothed belt where the system passes through a certain speed or load and the belt shudders briefly as it passes through a natural frequency.

Also, I see from Sandy Munro's video regarding the Model Y's heat pump isolation: "that shake does not turn into noise, vibration and harshness that you'd find inside the car". Unfortunately (and I don't have any problem with Sandy's very informative stuff), he is not necessarily correct. If 2021 Model 3's now also have a vibration-isolated heat pump, then this could explain the intermittent low frequency rumble. Vibration isolation does not eliminate vibrations, it changes their frequency and severity. The mass and (low) stiffness of the isolation system he shows (and every isolation system) still results in an assembly which has certain distinct low range natural frequencies. If there are specific excitations (eg. from motors, belt drives, EM couplings) that pass through the natural frequency of that mass/isolation system, then it will (hopefully only briefly) shudder. This is distinct from encasing the system, which is intended to insulate against higher frequency noise. If the shuddering is not damped it can be felt as much as heard. If encasing the system has "worked" on Model Y, it may be because it has (apart from muffling any higher frequency noise) ALSO increased the mass of the heat pump assembly, which changes (lowers) the natural frequency of the isolated assembly, possibly outside the range of any regular excitations - which is exactly what vibration isolation systems are designed to do.

Reactions: oreobbq
I just got my car back from the service center yesterday for this exact issue (2021 M3 LR AWD. This is exactly what was on my invoice:

Concern:
Customer states: Car is vibrating when AC system is on and stops once AC system is turned off. Owner thinks may be heat pump related as it originated from the front of the vehicle. Can now feel the slight vibration in the steering wheel / driver seat as the vibrations last for about 1-3 seconds.

Upon inspection found that vibration is a known characteristic. Verified same vibration when compared to 2 other same model vehicles. Advise customer there is no problem with vehicle and it is operating as designed.

So long story short, all 2021 model 3s vibrate and its nothing the service center can fix. Its just how it is.

Reactions: Ron_M3
Just posted in the other thread. My 2021 does it too. Annoying as hell and a real shame given how quiet and smooth the car is otherwise. No way they intended this. There's got to be some resonance being created somewhere. I can't believe it got through testing like this!

Hello, i have the same low rumble sound on a Model 3 Long Range 2021 here in Switzerland (Fremont factory).
Tesla did ask me to format the Sentry/Dashcam USB key 😅 Of course it didn't fix anthing...
Going to push them to have a look at ASAP

Same issue here on 2021 M3P from Freemont...usually happens right after I accelerate hard then stop for a traffic light or something...its definitely coming from the front and almost definitely the heat pump activating. Gave my car in for servicing this morning for some delivery day issues and I cited that noise/vibration as a problem, but I'm not holding my breath for any sort of fix there. They'll probably just chalk it up to standard heat pump operation. I hopeee they put some insulation around it. Will let you know tomorrow when I pick it up.

I'd say it's normal for 2021 cars with the heat pump. It also happens when I turn on A/C. It doesn't sound abnormal, so I'm not concerned about it. But the first few times was a bit disconcerting. I'm used to all the weird noises the car makes by now. Ha ha. As long as it doesn't get worse, I wouldn't worry about it. Plus you have a ton of warranty left anyway. Makes no sense to waste time having a dealer look at something that is normal. And if it's not normal, make sure you can duplicate the noise at will, or you'd also be wasting your time in vain. That's why it's better to wait until it's pretty obvious your can has an issue, and dealer won't just send you home.

I got a 2021 SR+ in March and have noticed that noise, but didn't realize it was from the car. I usually notice it when I'm stopped at a light or driving slowly and kept thinking it was the bass coming off a nearby car that had the music too loud.