Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone go from the Goodyear Eagle Touring (w foam) to Pirelli P7s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cab

Sep 5, 2013
Grapevine, TX
Hello All. So, I have a 2013 P85 I picked up a coupe of years ago which originally had the 21" rims with PS2s. Only had those on for a few weeks before I replaced them with a set of 19" slipstreams with the Goodyear Eagle Touring tires with the Soundcomfort tech (i.e. acoustic foam). I did this partly for ride comfort reasons, but mostly because the PS2s can be just so dang loud on Texas' grooved concrete freeways (and my tinnitus doesn't help).

Anyway, after about 20K miles they are getting pretty worn (note to self: rotate more frequently), and I am considering the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires. I was pretty pleased with the noise level of the GETs, but they did get louder after the last rotation (waited too long and tires had already take a "set"). The handling of the GETs was never anything to write home about compared to the PS2s, but I could live with it.

Anyway, has anyone made this switch? If so, how would you say the noise level and handling compares to the GETs (note: I know most tires get louder as they age so if you can "remember" what the GETs were like as new...)?

Thanks!

Hello All. So, I have a 2013 P85 I picked up a coupe of years ago which originally had the 21" rims with PS2s. Only had those on for a few weeks before I replaced them with a set of 19" slipstreams with the Goodyear Eagle Touring tires with the Soundcomfort tech (i.e. acoustic foam). I did this partly for ride comfort reasons, but mostly because the PS2s can be just so dang loud on Texas' grooved concrete freeways (and my tinnitus doesn't help).

Anyway, after about 20K miles they are getting pretty worn (note to self: rotate more frequently), and I am considering the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires. I was pretty pleased with the noise level of the GETs, but they did get louder after the last rotation (waited too long and tires had already take a "set"). The handling of the GETs was never anything to write home about compared to the PS2s, but I could live with it.

Anyway, has anyone made this switch? If so, how would you say the noise level and handling compares to the GETs (note: I know most tires get louder as they age so if you can "remember" what the GETs were like as new...)?

Thanks!
I've replaced tires twice now. First with the Pirelli p7's and they were quiet and smooth but the traction was HORRIBLE. It really slowed the acceleration due to traction control firing. It was much worse on wet but even on dry pavement it was annoying. I drive a rear wheel drive so it may work better with dual drive I'm not sure.

Those didn't last terribly long, something around 35-40k. I replaced them and received a significant credit from the prorated mileage warranty and now I have Michelin Sport AS3+ ( I had to go out and look can't remember these dumb names) and these are the best tires I've ever had on my model S. I've had them on for > 10,000 miles and they are smooth and grippy!

+1 on Pirelli. Poor grip/traction. They also caused other issues on my RWD 85 Model S. They lasted 45k miles, though. Michelin MXM4 are my favorite so far, but I'll give the Goodyear Touring (with the sound reduction foam) a try.

Numerous owner reports (including me) of the Goodyear Touring OEM's barely lasting 20k miles. Terrible value.

P7s have been great for me. Then again, I'm not driving a Performance Tesla and have zero complaints about slippage or traction. Based on a year of use, I estimate they should last me 50k miles.

I had a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verdes on our Rx400h. They are great for a CUV, but got noisy halfway through the treadlife. I gave up on them at 40K miles (mostly freeway mileage) and replaced them with a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7. The tread looked identical but hopefully the noise won't present itself...it was so bad that I suspect the wheel bearings were shot.

As for the Tesla, the car came with a set of Goodyear Eagle RS-A. I can attest that the current Eagle RS-As are much better than they were in 1997, but it seems like the thread pattern is not fully compliant with the rain grooves in concrete sections of the freeway. Stability feels a little wobbly over those sections.