Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone go P->LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just sold my 2020 performance 3. Have a LR on order simply because I don't know if the P is worth the $8k more but i wonder if I'll regret it. When i bought the car in 2020, difference was a bit smaller so didn't care as much then.

Has anyone gone from a P to LR in SoCal like weather and regretted it? Do you think a P is worth the 8k more? Honestly the only thing I really hate is that I have to pay more in taxes... hate taxes.

If it helps, just picked up a MYP and the quality of that car is 100x times better than the 2020 3 I just sold.

In 2018 I went from an S Performance to a 3 LR...and it was a really tough transition.

I think I could have gotten used to it with enough time, but after a couple of months I sold the 3 LR (being able to get back everything I paid for it, including taxes, sure helped) and got a 3 Performance. I am much happier! Nobody NEEDS the Performance, so whether it's "worth it" or not depends on you. If you won't have a problem with the mortgage, medicine or food after paying for the P, and it's the difference between enjoying or not enjoying the car...then yeah, I'd say the Performance is worth the money.

(I have an MYP coming this month too. I suggested possibly ordering a Y LR, but my wife just laughed and said no, I had to get the Performance so we wouldn't do that dance again)

Upvote 0
In 2018 I went from an S Performance to a 3 LR...and it was a really tough transition.

I think I could have gotten used to it with enough time, but after a couple of months I sold the 3 LR (being able to get back everything I paid for it, including taxes, sure helped) and got a 3 Performance. I am much happier! Nobody NEEDS the Performance, so whether it's "worth it" or not depends on you. If you won't have a problem with the mortgage, medicine or food after paying for the P, and it's the difference between enjoying or not enjoying the car...then yeah, I'd say the Performance is worth the money.

(I have an MYP coming this month too. I suggested possibly ordering a Y LR, but my wife just laughed and said no, I had to get the Performance so we wouldn't do that dance again)
Thanks. That’s helpful. It’s tricky because I got a 2018 loaner from tesla and didn’t notice too much of a difference but now I wonder if it was a sleeper and I just didn’t know

Upvote 0
We just sold our 2020 stealth performance 3 and picked up a 2022 LR 3.

For us it was a no brainer. Sold the 2020 (with 40k miles) for more than new 2022 cost, pocketing about $2k (even after taxes). Also sold for more than the 2020 cost new. Bizarre market right now.

We got some nice updates (heated steering wheel, power trunk, wireless phone charging), 60 miles more range, new tires and a new warranty, while giving up track mode (used it once) and the quicker 0-60. The LR 3 is still quicker than most cars and we find it's enough for us.

Upvote 0
...............................maybe schedule a LR test drive?

idea-genius.gif

Reactions: BMWM3Man
Upvote 0
I think the LR with the acceleration boost is what I've always imagined...because I knew I was going to upgrade the car myself and didn't want to take off the parts I paid $8,000 for and change them with better aftermarket parts...what's the point. I think if you will upgrade the car...get the LR....to me the performance is for people who don't want the hassle/uniqueness of upgrading a car.

Upvote 0
I think the LR with the acceleration boost is what I've always imagined...because I knew I was going to upgrade the car myself and didn't want to take off the parts I paid $8,000 for and change them with better aftermarket parts...what's the point. I think if you will upgrade the car...get the LR....to me the performance is for people who don't want the hassle/uniqueness of upgrading a car.
Yea I decided to just stick to the LR. Not worth 8k if upgrading which is the plan. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Yea I decided to just stick to the LR. Not worth 8k if upgrading which is the plan. Thanks!
Ditto to LR w/ AB. And it's more like $10k for those of us who live in snowy winter climates where the summer tires of the P are downright dangerous. You have to factor in another $2k+ for a decent set of 18 inch wheels, TPMS sensors and snow tires from Tirerack. I don't track my car so Track Mode would have been useless and the $2k Acceleration Boost also helped to stiffen the steering heft in Standard Steering Mode and gives you a more aggressive throttle mapping so you get to feel more power when you step into it even on daily drives. 0-60 in 3.7 sec (3.5 w/ 1 foot rollout) is faster than 98% of cars on the road and was downright supercar territory not too long ago! Plus the extra range was a nice bonus over the P.

Upvote 0

is the differenc even that much? Sometimes due to low SOC or rain etc the 0 to 60 is a bit slower on the performance and slower than a LR in good conditions. but it all feels pretty much the same for me. i think a lot of it is psychological.

Reactions: Stan930
Upvote 0