Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone going to upgrade to FSD before March 18th?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prices back up here in the UK.

FSD on none AP car £10,700 now versus £4900 yesterday.

32490956537_ec3d122db8_z_d.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Thomas Edison
I have AP which I bought at $2k. Now FSD has gone up from $3k to $7k. I was considering it at $3k, but not ready to pull the trigger. Do they think there is any way in Hell I'd ever buy it at the current price of $7k? FSD purchases will come to a complete halt today. They'll have no choice but to bring the prices back down.

Reactions: JBT66
I actually thought the EAP price would go back to $3K, not $5K. Oh wel I never use any Advanced features, and compared to those who just bought AP, I overspent on EAP. Time will tell if they have more sales, etc. I figure by time any of this is baked enough, I’ll have another Tesla or car anyways.

If you weren’t willing to spend $2,000, no doubt you won’t spend $5,000

No doubt. However, at $3k total, I would consider it once mature and be ok with spending $1k more when ready. There are a lot of reasons on a car that I don’t want to pre-pay for software:

- The car is a depreciating asset
- It could get wrecked or totaled and not convinced a software upgrade would factor into value
- I could buy another car
- I can do other things with that money (invest)
- Tesla has repeatedly lowered prices after my previous purchases so I don’t have confidence the same or lower prices might arrive in the future.

So when I decided to skip this offer, I thought I was only leaving $1k on the table. At $5k (or $3k higher) forget about it. I never use anything but TACC and given how crappy NoA and Summon is, I’m not convinced I’d ever trust the promised features in the amount of time I’ll own the car.

I’d get more value putting at $2k into suspension upgrades to make my car not look like a 4x4 ;)

• Helpful
Reactions: Timmy T.
I ponied up $2k for AP that was easy but while tempting to get FSD for an additional $3k I am a working man with a family it just wasn’t fiscally responsible for me.
If they left it at $3K I could save up for it, but I won’t even try at $7K. After all I’ve already paid them $2K. So do I save and wait for them to drop the price again someday?

Reactions: Michelx
I have AP which I bought at $2k. Now FSD has gone up from $3k to $7k. I was considering it at $3k, but not ready to pull the trigger. Do they think there is any way in Hell I'd ever buy it at the current price of $7k? FSD purchases will come to a complete halt today. They'll have no choice but to bring the prices back down.

I mean seriously, why do they make FSD so much more after delivery? I can understand a little more to incentivize people to pay early, but there is no point to make it 40% more after delivery because nobody would be willing to pay so much more, especially on an already old car. They should just make FSD $1000 more after delivery, and that way more people would upgrade after delivery.

Reactions: JBT66
I’m curious how many people have been willing to pay that for after delivery? That mark up is crazy.

$1000 is enough of an incentive to push me toward a purchase, however if the price was already to high I wouldn’t have. similar to the old EAP price. In my opinion it was too much for what you were getting, but 2K for me or 3K for new purchasers for the primary features in TACC and auto steer sounds pretty fair.

I’m curious how many people have been willing to pay that for after delivery? That mark up is crazy.

$1000 is enough of an incentive to push me toward a purchase, however if the price was already to high I wouldn’t have. similar to the old EAP price. In my opinion it was too much for what you were getting, but 2K for me or 3K for new purchasers for the primary features in TACC and auto steer sounds pretty fair.

Look how many people paid $10K in the early days for a software click to performance. Consider the AWD option was $4K at one point and included an actual motor where performance was pure profit.

It is not really crazy... they are pricing it high not to sell but as a marketing strategy. So next time when it drop down to $2K, there will be people thinking... this is as low as it gets and they will bite the bullet and get it. If they just raise it up to $3K... most of them will think.. "Okay I am going to wait for FSD to actually comes out and see how well it works before paying for it.. I don't mind paying a $1K premium."

Tesla will run a demo and offer it with a discount like EAP. Probably at $3,500.

Maybe but if FSD does end up needing a CPU upgrade Tesla aren't going to bother putting in a new CPU into a car just on a off chance they will buy FSD after a trial.

I didn't order EAP at all back in late 2016 when AP 2.0 hardware was released, and as am sure everyone remembers EAP was actually worse than AP 1.0 till very recently.

But to pay £4900 recently to enable FSD on our car was a no brainer, EAP was £4500 as factory order, so for just £400 more than what most people paid for EAP there might be a chance I'll get an AP CPU upgrade for the car :).

Having now used v 9.0 EAP, am very impressed at how far the software has developed compared to 12 months ago. Whats to come?? I'll wait and see.

£10,700 for FSD activation though is nuts, no one is going to pay that.

No doubt. However, at $3k total, I would consider it once mature and be ok with spending $1k more when ready. There are a lot of reasons on a car that I don’t want to pre-pay for software:

- The car is a depreciating asset
- It could get wrecked or totaled and not convinced a software upgrade would factor into value
- I could buy another car
- I can do other things with that money (invest)
- Tesla has repeatedly lowered prices after my previous purchases so I don’t have confidence the same or lower prices might arrive in the future.

So when I decided to skip this offer, I thought I was only leaving $1k on the table. At $5k (or $3k higher) forget about it. I never use anything but TACC and given how crappy NoA and Summon is, I’m not convinced I’d ever trust the promised features in the amount of time I’ll own the car.

I’d get more value putting at $2k into suspension upgrades to make my car not look like a 4x4 ;)

And the lesson learned. No matter what Tesla does. No one seems to be happy.