Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone gone from a 2021 M3 to a 2018 MS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently got a December 2020, 2021 model year M3 SR+, I love it.

Got it on a really good PCH deal through tesla at the time, personal lease. Though, going to drive more miles than my deal due to change of role.

I’m currently ‘on target’ for miles but it will soon change, I can terminate lease free of charge. To terminate and get another Model 3 would cost me quite a lot more.

So thinking of a Model S, 2018, 75D.

Big questions is will I like it more or will a miss the more ‘modern’ model 3, with the widescreen etc. I can’t decide, anyone done similar can advise if they prefer the older S over the newer 3?

Currently got a December 2020, 2021 model year M3 SR+, I love it.

Got it on a really good PCH deal through tesla at the time, personal lease. Though, going to drive more miles than my deal due to change of role.

I’m currently ‘on target’ for miles but it will soon change, I can terminate lease free of charge. To terminate and get another Model 3 would cost me quite a lot more.

So thinking of a Model S, 2018, 75D.

Big questions is will I like it more or will a miss the more ‘modern’ model 3, with the widescreen etc. I can’t decide, anyone done similar can advise if they prefer the older S over the newer 3?
Error in the thread title, apologies. *2018

Mod: edited it for you

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve gone more or less the other way, MS P90D to a M3LR and now a MY. The MS feels an overall larger and more refined car although it’s also starting to feel a bit dated compared to the M3. The seats are more supportive however and it rides more comfortably but not as sporty, the steering isn’t as quick. What you will notice is the range will be much worse. The efficiency is lower and charging speeds slower. I couldn’t believe how much faster the M3 charged in comparison.

You also need to watch out for MCU version, not sure when it changed, I think at some point in 2018, but you’d really want the later version.

Reactions: ArunG
I went from a MS70D to a M3LR.

Agree with George's comments about the MCU as its another £2,000 you will need to spend at some point if it is MCU1. Ditto the CCS upgrade, though that one is much cheaper (around £260 from memory?).

Main difference to me was the way they drive/handle. On my test drive the M3 felt like a go kart and certainly seemed a more aggressive set up then the MS. The MS was a great motorway cruiser but did feel dated.

Biggest frustrations for me were the size and turning circle (think oil tanker,) which could be a problem in some indoor car parks/off ramps etc. Also, a minor one, but one that continually caught me out was the absence of any door bins. On the positive side, the enormous luggage carrying capacity was very handy and the second screen and associated display options were good.

I am.

Didn't feel like it in mine. Must be the effect of the shorter bonnet!

And this is why we have OBJECTIVE tests. I've seen people 'claim' the 3 is some kind of 'Go kart' vs rhe S numerous times on here.....

Well here are some objective figures on handling, later G cornering forces, braking, and ofcourse accleration tests done by Car & Driver who knows what they are doing.

A Go Kart 'feels' fast because you are close to the ground, and absolute sight of the wheels to go mm within barriers, they aren't objectivly quick. The objective 'handling' numbers here speak for themselves, the difference is actually pretty significant.

The S is the best car Tesla makes, the biggest advantage the 3 has is price and efficiency, both really important points. But if you want the BEST Tesla, it's a performance S, there is no debate on that.

52191220667_6f8c98b582_c_d.jpg

52192247778_fe30bda628_c_d.jpg

Reactions: Beady3647
I own a M3 but have had MS loaners a couple of times. The MS feels like a plush luxury car compared to the M3. Whereas the M3 has a short bonnet and incredible visibility, the MS feels like you're sunk really low and surrounded by "stuff" (pillars, dashboards, screens) and peering through a letterbox (only a slight exaggeration). I'm sure I would get used to it, but I vastly prefer the M3. And as others said, it feels dated.

Reactions: HenryT and candida
Well here are some objective figures on handling, later G cornering forces, braking, and ofcourse accleration tests done by Car & Driver who knows what they are doing.
Not really like for like. The M3P out brakes the model S (even with its thiner tyres) and the good G force figure are because of the standard fat tyres the S has on it - but its change of direction isn't that great due to the weight.

Reactions: HenryT
Not really like for like. The M3P out brakes the model S

You might want to check the OBJECTIVE numbers....as I've said there is a reason why OBJECTIVE tests matter.

We all enjoy different things in life, personally I prefer the 'feel' of my pedal bike over any car, but if you want the 'best' performance car Tesla sells today the numbers don't lie.....When you starting trying to add subjective justifications into objective numbers it than become who wants go argue the most for the sake of arguing :).

Reactions: Dommmm
You might want to check the OBJECTIVE numbers....as I've said there is a reason why OBJECTIVE tests matter.

We all enjoy different things in life, personally I prefer the 'feel' of my pedal bike over any car, but if you want the 'best' performance car Tesla sells today the numbers don't lie.....When you starting trying to add subjective justifications into objective numbers it than become who wants go argue the most for the sake of arguing :).
The OP asked "Big question is will I like it [a model S] more or will a miss the more ‘modern’ model 3?"

He was/is interested in opinions of others.

I don't think he was asking which is objectively better.

I did which is why I said the M3P has better braking performs to the MS. But given that the OP is asking for opinion I'm not sure why you are even posting facts and figures.

You might be surprised to learn the turning circle of a S and 3 are virtually identical
They are both rubbish then.

Have you considered a test drive? Only you can answer whether you'll prefer/love/dislike/hate a Model S vs your M3.

Sorry, I know you're asking for opinions, but ultimately it's an individual thing, and the only way you'll know is by driving one.

Lower range/slower charging speeds is a big thing for some, less so for others, so as said above, you should consider that too, as well as how it "feels".

Thanks for the replies everyone. Tbh I think my own concerns have been echoed here with the ‘dated’ element of the MS. I’m an IT geek that loves shiny gadgets and the dated things would grate on me.

I’ve had an S and an X as loaners and felt both were dated but just didn’t know if I was driving a pretty old model, or older than 2018.

Ultimately, the cars are great and this is a very first world problem, but interesting to hear your views anyway.

Reactions: gangzoom
Thanks for the replies everyone. Tbh I think my own concerns have been echoed here with the ‘dated’ element of the MS. I’m an IT geek that loves shiny gadgets and the dated things would grate on me.

I’ve had an S and an X as loaners and felt both were dated but just didn’t know if I was driving a pretty old model, or older than 2018.

Ultimately, the cars are great and this is a very first world problem, but interesting to hear your views anyway.
Bias here, as am a new MS 2018 owner! Test drove a M3, and I don't understand the "dated" comparisons. Is having to control the air vents or open the glove box via the screen Vs by hand is such a major difference?

A 2018 runs the 2.5 software, so is pretty fresh. Yes there are differences below the hood, but the S is a far more luxurious place to be (IMHO), and that's what swung it for me to pay M3 new prices for a used MS.

Reactions: Beady3647 and MrT3