Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone gone from a p85d with plus suspension to a P3? Would like you to hear thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m looking to sell my p85dL with performance plus suspension and get into a new model 3 performance that I have reserved for $55k

My impressions driving the model 3P were surprising to me. I was expecting a harsher and noisier ride vs the S, but that didn’t seem to be the case at all? Also acceleration on paper is supposed to be slower than my car but the 3 felt faster. It also felt more tossable in the corners versus my car.. perhaps because it’s far lighter and smaller?

At freeway speeds I would say the cars are equally noisy.

Can anyone else opine on their thoughts if they came from a P85D with plus suspension or otherwise?

Last edited:
Reactions: tm1v2
An old S, especially with original parts is always gonna feel old and creaky against a new 3.

It really depends if the 3 meets your needs at the end of the day. The S is likely at the end of its battery/drive motor warranty so this is something to take into account as well.

@tubaprde Model 3 is more fun and tossable than any Model S I've driven, and I've driven most every kind pre-Raven including P85+ and early P85D with Plus-style suspension firmness.

As for harsher and noisier, the earlier Model 3's were. Tesla has made the Model 3 smoother, softer, and quieter over the years. 2021 especially was a big improvement in NVH, and the suspension also got significantly smoother and softer. That came at the expense of handling but even the 2021+ Model 3 is still easily more fun than a Model S in my opinion, if the road has any turns.

Note, as of earlier in 2022 the Model 3 Performance doesn't get any special suspension tuning. Previously the M3P got a "lowered" suspension, which was slightly lower, but otherwise handled about the same as a regular Model 3 dual motor - it wasn't sportier or better in any meaningful way.

(As with most things Tesla, these changes weren't necessarily made exactly on model year boundaries, so when I write 2021 or 2022 or such I'm being approximate. Not all 2021 Model 3's have all of the "2021+" changes, and it's possible some late 2020's might have some of the "2021+" changes. Same for "2022+" changes.)

I have a 2013 S P85 that's essentially stock, and a 2021 M3P modded with significant suspension upgrades. The M3P is way more fun, feels like a completely different kind of car, which it is. After the suspension upgrades it handles like an absolute dream. Even stock it was very fun, just couldn't drive it as fast through the twisties as I wanted.

In our case the M3P is also quieter (early Model S like ours have more wind noise), though it doesn't insulate tire noise very well, so if you care a lot about noise level, then quiet tires will be especially important (Tesla OEM tires are usually good for this, as you probably already know). (I have other priorities for my tires and usually don't buy Tesla spec tires.)

The Model S will always have a special place in my heart and many, many fond & meaningful memories - but for driving pleasure, it's the M3P all the way. The M3P is also way more efficient with significantly better real-world range (despite slightly smaller battery) - as one would hope from a much newer EV of course. (Obviously a 2021 Model S would compare much better.) That said, the Model 3 can't touch the Model S for cargo hauling. We got our Model 3 as a second car. No sedan could replace the Model S for us. Your need for that may vary.

There's many smaller advantages and disadvantages to Model 3 vs Model S I could write about, but if you're looking for confirmation that the Model 3 is very fun and has perfectly reasonable / acceptable refinement these days, I say yes! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: tubaprde
I rented a Plaid and an M3P for a week before I made my decision.

I found the M3P to feel a lot more nimble, tossable and just fun to drive. Of course the Plaid is an absolute monster but where am I going to be able to use that power when the M3P can already easily put me in jail. That and the M3P costs 1/2 as much as a Plaid.

• Informative
Reactions: tubaprde and tm1v2