Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone gone from pre refresh Performance to Chinese LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking about trading my 2020 Performance for a new MIC LR, anyone done the same? The Performance is great but I barely ever use it, only thing I would miss are the looks of the nice wheels and painted callipers but the 20" also suffer from road noise so 18" may well be quieter and comfier which is a plus, and the brakes are barley used either so again not a big advantage unless you really push on or track the car. Apart from the spoiler the rest of the exterior and interior are pretty much identical in a Performance and LR. If I remember correctly when I purchased my car there was around £5K between the LR and Performance, now its around £11.5K, I struggled to justify £5K so don't think the Performance is such good value any more. I would gain a larger battery 82Kwh, and all the refresh goodies, heatpump, chrome delete (personal opinion but I prefer the black trim), etc.

My nearest Tesla showroom does not have a LR to test drive, interested to see if the newer cars are quieter and if there a big difference between the wh per mile and range of both cars?

My trade in price means it would almost be a straight swap I would only have to add around £1K - £3K depending on options to get a brand new car with new warranty etc.

I kinda did. Although I only had the P- to start with as I prefer smaller alloys.

Here’s a thread I started at the time I was debating it. P- to MIC

I have no regrets. Both cars were/are black and I personally think it looks much better without chrome - although, imho, other colours look better with chrome than the black . I’ve not felt the need to add some of the accessories I did first time round - like extra seals on doors and trunk.

I initially spotted the difference in acceleration from rest (less so once moving) but current car still has sufficient acceleration and still puts a smile on my face. I’m not felt the need to pay for the acceleration boost.

To answer your question - I feel range is better (not thru proper analysis) but I’ve only had new car in the summer months. As you might have seen, analysis by others on YouTube suggest the pumps aren’t as beneficial as you’d hope.

Reactions: seadog
The UK Long Range are still showing as having the smaller BT37/38 battery packs and not the BT42 which is in the Performance. Europe get the slightly larger battery and if you convert their WLTP range to miles you'll see its longer.

I've not made the change but I looked long and hard at the M3P as I was coming from a MS P90DL on 21" wheels but ended up with a M3 LR with Performacne boost and have found the smaller wheels liberating. The performance on the move from what I could tell is near identical too.

I agree with your thinking that £11k difference (9k if you go for the boost) between the 2 isn't really substantiated by the small differences in usable stuff.

Thanks, I'm sure I watched a recent Richard Symons video where he said the LR now has the same 82Kwh battery as the Performance model.

Edit; Just watched it again and he states he was wrong it was not a 82Kwh battery.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm sure I watched a recent Richard Symons video where he said the LR now has the same 82Kwh battery as the Performance model.
You did, and he was wrong. If you read the comments on the video he admits it. I think he even pointed out he couldn't really see a range difference between it and the older cars during the video (followed by an infamous shoulder shrug and an open question as he doesn't know why he sees what he sees). Never trust a salesman :)

He preps the car well and knows a lot more than the average Tesla seller, and his long trips are good to watch but his commentary and conclusions seem to have a lot more of those shoulder shrugs and open questions. He's also now sold his soul to carwow and likes to race up a runway which I've become tired of. We know they're quick in a straight line.

Reactions: seadog
Yes just updated my previous post a few minutes beforehand, so no battery upgrade yet which is a pity especially as I would assume it's coming fairly soon once stocks of the older battery are used up,
Not sure to be honest, seems to be linked with where the production is from, we get our cars from China whereas Europe seem tio get their LR from Fremont. It's about to get more confusing as the SR+ LFP battery in Europe seem to be about to get bigger - if that comes to the UK then the cap between the SR+ and LR could get quite small - maybe that supports the argument for the bigger LR battery comin our way or Tesla just aren't really worried about odd ball configs in the UK and other RHD markets