Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is aware that some will be tempted to "find" some service work, and that they would be upset if they are faced with customers doing that. Might find yourself "flagged" if discovered.

Idea is to smoothly roll out the available HW3 chips by installing them into customer cars when they are in for other service. Do not want to clog up the service bays with people making up problems, just to get a shot at the new chip.

You can upgrade yourself like the people that added Dual Motor or the underline to their car while only having a RWD. Just print these off and stick them on your screen.

Cone.png

You can upgrade yourself like the people that added Dual Motor or the underline to their car while only having a RWD. Just print these off and stick them on your screen.

View attachment 476903

I'm confused about whether HW3 is required to visualize cones on-screen. Has that been confirmed anywhere, other than the 1 electrek article? The reason being is that while I should have HW3 based on my build date (4/17/2019), all of my video files are in H.264, not H.265 like has been reported with other HW3 cars and yet, I see cones on-screen every day since the last update.

• Helpful
Reactions: Matsayz
I'm confused about whether HW3 is required to visualize cones on-screen. Has that been confirmed anywhere, other than the 1 electrek article? The reason being is that while I should have HW3 based on my build date (4/17/2019), all of my video files are in H.264, not H.265 like has been reported with other HW3 cars and yet, I see cones on-screen every day since the last update.

I have HW 2.5 (took delivery in december of 2018), and have both EAP and FSD attached to my vin, AND have the 36.2.1 -- no cones in visualization. I passed by some this morning in fact as there is construction close to my house.

Reactions: krettig

You’re right on the cusp. Mine is a 4/19 build, delivered 4/19/19, with FSD, and has HW2.5. No big deal; I’m sure the upgrade is coming.

They've already stated that the Service Center will call you and set up an appointment when your VIN-specific HW3 computer model is shipped to them and is ready to install. You can't get it by making a random appointment or by just going in...They doing a controlled rollout....

They've already stated that the Service Center will call you and set up an appointment when your VIN-specific HW3 computer model is shipped to them and is ready to install. You can't get it by making a random appointment or by just going in...They doing a controlled rollout....

I know that is being said. I asked because on another forum I frequent, someone posted that they had unrelated service today and when they showed up they were informed they would get HW3 also. So it was a random appointment and just going in if accurate.

Reactions: TheOtherPete
I have HW 2.5 (took delivery in december of 2018), and have both EAP and FSD attached to my vin, AND have the 36.2.1 -- no cones in visualization. I passed by some this morning in fact as there is construction close to my house.
My car is basically the same. I drove by cones today and no visualization.

I had mobile service out a week ago for something and had tried to also request HW3, no dice. I hope i don't have to take it to an SC when the day comes.

I don't think this is true because there are Model 3's with higher VIN's than mine that got HW3 installed by Service Centers.

Imagine that as chip volume availability ramps up, and the technicians get more proficent at installations,Tesla will roll out a quick stop service at service centers, and perhaps even with Ranger Service.

They did it on my first X when they had a rear seat latch recall. I took mine in and they took a quick look to determine if mine was effected. It was not, so they sent me on my way in 10 minutes.

I got my model X updated to HW3 when I brought it in for an unrelated repair. They said they are doing the model X and model S preferentially as they come in for repairs, then will do the model 3 later on. I also have a model 3 and am I no rush to upgrade since the only difference at this point is rendering road cones. I can say from driving both that there is no other difference in function at this time. Probably not worth the trouble of coming up with a service request at this point.

• Informative
Reactions: PaulJohn